Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cracked heads, No I am not a crack head
Bartlett 914
post May 18 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

About this time last year I had a problem with my 2.0.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=51716&hl=

Lately I started working on this motor. It is unbelievable all the problems I have found. First I found Bus pistons and .063 in shims giving me a very low CR. I decided to check my valve guides. I borrowed a compressor from Glenn Stazak and removed the valves. I found my problem with cylinder 3. Intake seat totally loose. I also found cracks. I thought they were repaired (back in 88). The shop only installed heli-coils in the spark plug holes. No welding. I started what I had hoped to be a reseal job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 18 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Totally typical..It was ran out of tune or someone didn't know how to use 5th gear...

Send the heads straight to www.haminc.biz or just buy some LE 180s and be done with it for another 20 years :-)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 18 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 18 2007, 03:04 PM) *

Totally typical..It was ran out of tune or someone didn't know how to use 5th gear...

Send the heads straight to www.haminc.biz or just buy some LE 180s and be done with it for another 20 years :-)

Hi Jake

I know. That is an excellent idea and probably one I will pursue at a later date. This engine is the one with the bus pistons. I have another motor that I had planned to use with one of your kits. I will steal the heads from that motor. Later when I am ready for that rebuild, I will pony up. Right now, I need a decent motor for my DD using all the stuff I have collected.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:22 PM