Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Limited slip diff, I WANT MORE TRACTION
Chris Hamilton
post May 26 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,687

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 25 2007, 12:42 PM) *

Ihave my doubts about the hamilton being a parade winning car after running against it recently. With poor running car and very tired dot tires my car has been within two seconds. With race rubber and carb issues worked out I think my very basic car with a good driver could equal the hamilton car on a fast course.

A fast 3.6 car will be my pick at parade based on seeing the "improved" hamilton car run.

It would be interesting to see how the hamilton car would do on dot rubber. Typically its the only car running race slicks at our local pca events.

You were "only" within 2 seconds. Such a small amount of time. Just 2 seconds, thats all. Nothing big, just 2 seconds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) If you're that close you should get some racing tires and show us the business.

We shall see how it goes when we get some fuel injection and a limited slip, I think that the new engine is hardly doing anything for us because we just can't get the power down with the one-legger.

If you want to know how we did on kumho victoracers, check out the 2004 results here: http://pca-ggr.org/acresults.cgi
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 26 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #42

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 26 2007, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 25 2007, 12:42 PM) *

Ihave my doubts about the hamilton being a parade winning car after running against it recently. With poor running car and very tired dot tires my car has been within two seconds. With race rubber and carb issues worked out I think my very basic car with a good driver could equal the hamilton car on a fast course.

A fast 3.6 car will be my pick at parade based on seeing the "improved" hamilton car run.

It would be interesting to see how the hamilton car would do on dot rubber. Typically its the only car running race slicks at our local pca events.

You were "only" within 2 seconds. Such a small amount of time. Just 2 seconds, thats all. Nothing big, just 2 seconds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) If you're that close you should get some racing tires and show us the business.

We shall see how it goes when we get some fuel injection and a limited slip, I think that the new engine is hardly doing anything for us because we just can't get the power down with the one-legger.

If you want to know how we did on kumho victoracers, check out the 2004 results here: http://pca-ggr.org/acresults.cgi

Yep count 1, 2. Certanly "forever" for like classed cars. But for me its a big improvement from last year improvment. I never imagined getting this close to TTOD. It doesnt matter if its your car or others. Race tires? Naw I'll try beating Andrew on 710's, that will be more enjoyable. I'll have a fresh set ready to go for Altamont with car in better tune.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 26 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #43

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ottox914 @ May 26 2007, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2007, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ottox914 @ May 25 2007, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2007, 08:17 AM) *

Interesting thing about autocross suspension setup is that you can have two guys with the same brand and model car, both blistering fast, totally disagree about how to set up the car... I know a guy in the Minneapolis area that used to show up in his wife's car, stock 6 cyl Camaro because his was on jackstands and STILL spank tail. Sometimes, its just the driver. Randy something or other for you MAC guys...

I have never used race tires on an autocross course but I notice lots of you guys do. Doesn't that change the whole mindset on the setup?

Randy Williams, and he's still stupid fast. I think in a shopping cart with one stuck wheel he'd still kick most of our butts.

LOL!!! I had a vision of one wheel wagging back and forth... Even his girlfriend was faster than most of the guys...
Don Gettinger still around? How about Charles Hoffman?

Randy split up w/her before I joined the club, 6-7 yrs ago.

Don is still around and driving the second oldest car in the club, his '64 vett. The oldest car is a '59 bug eye sprite on slicks that comes and goes on a trailer, as does Don's '64. I have the next oldest car with my '73 914, and the oldest car that comes and goes under its own power. There is also a '73 Opel GT, but it also travels by trailer. There was a '70 914 for a couple seasons, but that guy, (Dave-O) scored a ride with an STU M3 and the 914 is now a commuter.

Club has grown a ton. We now regularly run 150+ cars for 6 runs each at events. We have a big cube van and dedicated timing trailer for set up and storage. At any given event there are at least 6-10 past national trophy winners in the grid, along with at least 1 wearing the jacket. Its a tough crowd to impress these days.

No Charles Hoffman since I've been around.

Too bad about Randy splitting with her. She was a beauty. I watched the front suspension break off of Don Gettinger's Vette at COMMANGSAC one year. That car has been through a lot. I will get up there one day with the silver car. It will be good to be back with the mosquitos and the humidity. Easier to get heat into the tires!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 26 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #44

Apex killer!

It is certainly getting interesting again in 914World out here on the Left Coast. Grant has indeed done a good deal of development and Nathan has a 914 ride. No legacy is ever safe in autocrossing. Fast is fast no matter what you drive and Nathan is fast in anything. Grant is going to challenge for sure. As always, and I know people don't understand this, I am just happy to be autocrossing. It is always good to do well but no matter what it is always the best 30 to 60 seconds of my week (exceptions of course for the time spent with Yopu).
So lets take it to the course and leave the smack talk behind...
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post May 26 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2007, 08:38 PM) *

So lets take it to the course and leave the smack talk behind...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Oh, we also won't be at altamont if they're going to charge an entry fee.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 27 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #46

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Bench racin' didn't start with cars and it's not liable to stop any time soon.

Truely big frogs go look for other big frogs to run against, then they risk getting beat.
If you have some other agenda, you don't. Simple, no?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 27 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #47

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2007, 07:38 PM) *

leave the smack talk behind...

Thats no fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm a much better smack talker than an AX driver!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 27 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #48

Apex killer!

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 27 2007, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2007, 07:38 PM) *

leave the smack talk behind...

Thats no fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm a much better smack talker than an AX driver!

rofl
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 29 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #49

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 26 2007, 05:20 PM) *

Hey I just saw this GGR PCA AX #2 video and it looks like you guys were off of the slicks and onto DOT rubber due to wet surface. That Arial kicked butt with those skinny little tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhWt_7kGOM

Then I looked at results. http://www.pca-ggr.org/acresults/041407.html ...Man tell me AX isnt all about tire grip! Was Andrew having a tough time without the LSD when he was on DOT tires? I know my car was a bear to control in low grip situations with no LSD and DOT tires.

+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post May 31 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 29 2007, 02:05 PM) *

Hey I just saw this GGR PCA AX #2 video and it looks like you guys were off of the slicks and onto DOT rubber due to wet surface. That Arial kicked butt with those skinny little tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhWt_7kGOM

Then I looked at results. http://www.pca-ggr.org/acresults/041407.html ...Man tell me AX isnt all about tire grip! Was Andrew having a tough time without the LSD when he was on DOT tires? I know my car was a bear to control in low grip situations with no LSD and DOT tires.

That particular autocross left everyone quite a bit annoyed, andrew and I were in the first rungroup and it was almost still raining when we were out on the track, then the track dried out and everyone else got to run for the second session. Andrew was driving my car in the morning, and the blue 914 in the afternoon with some skinny all-weather street tires. He drove my car again in fun runs and the track had dried out so much he beat his own time. Can you imagine what kind of surface difference that is, if he's faster in my car than the blue car?
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 1 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #51

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 31 2007, 10:30 PM) *

That particular autocross left everyone quite a bit annoyed, andrew and I were in the first rungroup and it was almost still raining when we were out on the track, then the track dried out and everyone else got to run for the second session. Andrew was driving my car in the morning, and the blue 914 in the afternoon with some skinny all-weather street tires. He drove my car again in fun runs and the track had dried out so much he beat his own time. Can you imagine what kind of surface difference that is, if he's faster in my car than the blue car?

Like I said AX is all about tire grip. I love to drag my AWD Mazda to wet AX events due to its huge traction advantage. Its a top 5 AX car in the wet, but drops mid pack in dry.
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Jun 2 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 31 2007, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 31 2007, 10:30 PM) *

Like I said AX is all about tire grip. I love to drag my AWD Mazda to wet AX events due to its huge traction advantage. Its a top 5 AX car in the wet, but drops mid pack in dry.

It would have been fine if everyone was racing in the wet, but me and andrew in the blue group were in the wet, and a bunch of other people in the red group were in the dry. That was the point I was making. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:03 AM