Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 supercar, what do you guys think?
BahnBrenner914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #1

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

Group: Members
From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

So I'm a mechanical engineering student and a big-time racing fan. And I've designed a formula one type car in CAD and I'm thinking about designing another car in CAD with a strong 914 base.

Here's a few things I'm thinking of:
-914 suspension (or 911) geometry, wheelbase, track, etc
-914 transaxle
-probably not a type IV, something else that's more modern
-Fiberglass monocoque or tube frame or combo
-custom aero body (my big part cause I want to be an aerodynamicist) in the low-drag (and some downforce) style of the carrera GT, GT40, McLaren f1, etc

Basically something I could build in several years with some research and design now while I'm in school. I want it light, relatively ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) ) cheap, and of course aerodynamically superior (for mpg and speed). Like a 916 of modern times (at least the concept part)

So what do you guys think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 20 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

go light and slippery and you don't need big hp. unless you want it to get big into the triple digits in mph.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #3

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL

True, I like the lotus elise and ariel atom concepts, really really light and 'low' hp and still super fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . How much power can be had from a custom built Type IV? like a 2.0+ with lots o' goodies.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 20 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jun 20 2007, 12:36 AM) *

True, I like the lotus elise and ariel atom concepts, really really light and 'low' hp and still super fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . How much power can be had from a custom built Type IV? like a 2.0+ with lots o' goodies.

now you're talkin $$$$. look up jake raby/ massive type four
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jun 20 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #5

well I'll go for a different engine for less money, cause it'll probably be the same or more power and reliability and not tons of money.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Jun 20 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #6

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

400 HP from a Subaru WRX STi motor is doable, reliable, and weighs less than a type IV.

-Tony
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Jun 20 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #7

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jun 20 2007, 01:10 AM) *

400 HP from a Subaru WRX STi motor is doable, reliable, and weighs less than a type IV.

-Tony

i agree! cant beat japanese reliability! and they're really affordable!
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jun 20 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #8

Yeah, a subie would be cool. But 400hp would melt the 914 transaxle no? I saw subaru was coming out with a new diesel boxer-4, how about a diesel supercar? like 150mph and 45 mpg?
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 20 2007, 05:47 AM
Post #9

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jun 20 2007, 04:20 AM) *

Yeah, a subie would be cool. But 400hp would melt the 914 transaxle no? I saw subaru was coming out with a new diesel boxer-4, how about a diesel supercar? like 150mph and 45 mpg?

Bolt it up to a 915 transaxle instead of a 901 & those 400 ponies will stay corralled. However, nothing & I mean nothing beats the sound of a flat six powered by tripple Webbers. I'm sure just about any 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 could dust my ass, but I'll kill them in the sound competition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Hydra
post Jun 20 2007, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Quia nominor LEO

Member No.: 3,261

If the Subaru engine choice appeals to you. why not go all the way and use a subaru transaxle while you're at it. Subaru trannies are cheaper than a 901 and can withstand much more power, while still having a cable operated clutch... my 2 cents..
Good luck
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 20 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #11

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

If youe goal is to design a lightweight mid engined car, it would probably be easier to use newer components then the 30 year old VW/Porsche parts off a 914.

Any Honda/Subi/VW engine is going to make more power cheaper. Better trannies are out then then the 901. 914 suspension is a 30 year old design (that happens to work very well, but look and see what is out there now).

I would say to get your influence from the 914, but make it a more modern car.

Zach
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 20 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #12

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 20 2007, 06:13 AM) *

If youe goal is to design a lightweight mid engined car, it would probably be easier to use newer components then the 30 year old VW/Porsche parts off a 914.

Any Honda/Subi/VW engine is going to make more power cheaper. Better trannies are out then then the 901. 914 suspension is a 30 year old design (that happens to work very well, but look and see what is out there now).

I would say to get your influence from the 914, but make it a more modern car.

Zach

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 100%
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Jun 20 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,435

You might want to study the 904 as a precursor to your putting "pen to paper" (or clicking your CAD mouse). It has the layout you're looking at, lightweight design and materials, aerodynamic (for it's age) not to mention it's timeless and classic good looks.

A modern 904 could ROCK! (the original sure does)

Oh and I agree...Nothing sounds better than a flat six with carbinators....

But you may wsh to consider a Rotary out of an Rx8...compact, light, only 3 moving parts in the engine....and much more efficient than the older model rotaries. (Mazda won LeMans on fuel economy in 1991)
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Jun 20 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #14

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

I like the idea, go for it! But beware of linking it in any form to a 914 on this forum, the purist patrol will attack when you are at your weakest. They are like a heard of oompa-lumpas that come out and start whacking your knee caps with little ball peen hammers... annoying little pests... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

A substantial front suspension setup with coilovers might be a more modern spin-off, although for buget sake stick with what works and its hard to beat what Porsche used to set the standard years ago.

I fully agree with a modern powerplant and transaxle as so many have suggested. Subaru is about as close as you can come to a modern Type IV and you get to keep that very desirable boxer growl. Find an Imprezza RS or WRX STI at your next local auto-x event (with BORLA exhaust is a bonus) and ask the guy if you can tag along with him for a run through the cones, you will be sold.

As for a modern twist on design, I leave you with this lovely example to ponder. This is the only photo I have but it appears to be an amazing piece of workmanship, all metal fab (aluminum?) body with hints of 914 heratige, supposedly it is based on a 914 roller. Does anyone else have more info or photos? I LOVE THIS!!!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 20 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Add the radiator and kill the car. If you want a watercooled 914, just buy a Fiero.
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Jun 20 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #16

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

You could also build a big horsepower turbo type IV
No radiator, plenty of potential for power, and you retain the original weight distribution
That coupled with a light, well designed Fiberglass body would make a hell of a car
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jun 20 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Jun 20 2007, 08:25 AM) *

I like the idea, go for it! But beware of linking it in any form to a 914 on this forum, the purist patrol will attack when you are at your weakest. They are like a heard of oompa-lumpas that come out and start whacking your knee caps with little ball peen hammers... annoying little pests... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

A substantial front suspension setup with coilovers might be a more modern spin-off, although for buget sake stick with what works and its hard to beat what Porsche used to set the standard years ago.

I fully agree with a modern powerplant and transaxle as so many have suggested. Subaru is about as close as you can come to a modern Type IV and you get to keep that very desirable boxer growl. Find an Imprezza RS or WRX STI at your next local auto-x event (with BORLA exhaust is a bonus) and ask the guy if you can tag along with him for a run through the cones, you will be sold.

As for a modern twist on design, I leave you with this lovely example to ponder. This is the only photo I have but it appears to be an amazing piece of workmanship, all metal fab (aluminum?) body with hints of 914 heratige, supposedly it is based on a 914 roller. Does anyone else have more info or photos? I LOVE THIS!!!!

That's beautiful!
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jun 20 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,912

make it look something like this? modern 914

Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 20 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #19

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Jun 20 2007, 11:25 AM) *

beware of linking it in any form to a 914 on this forum, the purist patrol will attack when you are at your weakest. They are like a heard of oompa-lumpas that come out and start whacking your knee caps with little ball peen hammers... annoying little pests... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Yes, & here's why: monocoque construction- called a 956 or 962. Tube frame- 550, 718RSK, 906, 907, 908, 909, 910, 917 & 936. Composite- 904. All these designs are mid engined Porsches, the 904 & 906 being the most street friendly. If you want to redesign the 914 then take a look at the neo 914 here on our board. Or explore the Boxster & the Cayman, the new 914s of today. Annoying little pest ain't I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
RoninEclipse2G
post Jun 20 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #20

Suby Geek

Member No.: 7,701
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(marks914 @ Jun 20 2007, 10:32 AM) *

make it look something like this? modern 914

Mark
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

pretty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:38 PM