Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OMG - had the best day of my life, I found the "holy grail"
Gustl
post Jun 22 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #1

914 enthusiast & historian

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

Maybe some of you already noticed that the gemini blue 916 isn't for sale any longer at Cars Dawydiak. A couple of weeks ago there appeared the "Thank you, but sold" info (see here).
The car sold to Austria, to a well known Porsche dealer ... let's call him Mr.X. I was in contact with him several times and we always had interesting topics to discuss. This week I received a mail from him, where he told me that the 916 will arrive soon, but the car would stay in Austria for a short time only.
So I tried to get the day off and visit Mr.X to take a look at the 916 ... there would be not so many chances to see a real 916 in person.
Due to the long journey my day started a 3:45 a.m. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
When I arrived after a 5 hrs drive, we talked a little and then he showed me his "storage" ... about 30 Porsches side by side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
He told me that I could watch the cars without any hurry, and ... the 916 is the last in row ... the key is in the lock. There was very little place, so the photos might look way strange, but who cares ... I really touched a genuine Porsche 916.
After a while he came back to me and told me that he would have to finish some work at the office (next door to the car storage), but then he would like to drive the 916 - and I could come with him, if I want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
The 916 arrived yesterday evening and he didn't drive it yet. So, if the engine runs, we could enjoy a test drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

And so it happend - half an hour later he opend the back door of the storage and started the car. A little gas at the station, warming up the engine smoothly, and then ... fun
Sorry, I can't describe this in an appropriate way, it was just amazing. That sound while acceleration, the screaming tyres in the roundabout and some other corners, what a blast!!!

I even took a little onboard video with my digicam, but it's poor quality ...
I'll upload it tomorrow and post a link, and off course some photos from today.

But now I need to go to bed - I really need sleep - this was an 18 hrs day for me ...

For now, that's it ... here's one photo as foretaste (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 22 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) You Lucky Dog!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Jun 22 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #3

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

Nice

forget sleep lets see the pic's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

+Quote Post
Demick
post Jun 22 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #4

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Great story! Thanks for sharing
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 22 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

:envy: :envy: :envy: :envy: !!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky dog (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! I'm soooo jealous. Can't wait for the video. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 22 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) that would have made my day as well ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i'm jealous!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 22 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

please say you got a vid of the test drive....please? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) --JON
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jun 22 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #8

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Cool Wolfgang...You dog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 22 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #9

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Wow, very cool.
I can't wait to see the pics.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jun 22 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #10

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I love that car and I've never met it.
+Quote Post
jaminM3
post Jun 22 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,619
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Is this a well known car or something?

Is is "very Niiice"

What is pushing it around? other mods? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 22 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Giddyup! Bring on the video...
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 22 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 22 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Maybe some of you already noticed that the gemini blue 916 isn't for sale any longer at Cars Dawydiak. A couple of weeks ago there appeared the "Thank you, but sold" info (see here).
The car sold to Austria, to a well known Porsche dealer ... let's call him Mr.X. I was in contact with him several times and we always had interesting topics to discuss. This week I received a mail from him, where he told me that the 916 will arrive soon, but the car would stay in Austria for a short time only.
So I tried to get the day off and visit Mr.X to take a look at the 916 ... there would be not so many chances to see a real 916 in person.
Due to the long journey my day started a 3:45 a.m. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
When I arrived after a 5 hrs drive, we talked a little and then he showed me his "storage" ... about 30 Porsches side by side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
He told me that I could watch the cars without any hurry, and ... the 916 is the last in row ... the key is in the lock. There was very little place, so the photos might look way strange, but who cares ... I really touched a genuine Porsche 916.
After a while he came back to me and told me that he would have to finish some work at the office (next door to the car storage), but then he would like to drive the 916 - and I could come with him, if I want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
The 916 arrived yesterday evening and he didn't drive it yet. So, if the engine runs, we could enjoy a test drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

And so it happend - half an hour later he opend the back door of the storage and started the car. A little gas at the station, warming up the engine smoothly, and then ... fun
Sorry, I can't describe this in an appropriate way, it was just amazing. That sound while acceleration, the screaming tyres in the roundabout and some other corners, what a blast!!!

I even took a little onboard video with my digicam, but it's poor quality ...
I'll upload it tomorrow and post a link, and off course some photos from today.

But now I need to go to bed - I really need sleep - this was an 18 hrs day for me ...

For now, that's it ... here's one photo as foretaste (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EVERY day is the best day of my life!!!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jun 22 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #14

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

That's a great story. You are dedicated to drive 5 hours to see a car, but it sounds like it was worth it!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 22 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

yes. thats a amazing 916 and I saw it once in person too but didn't get to ride or drive it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Jun 22 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great story Wolfgang. Thanks for sharing.

So George, great to look at, but when will you take it out for a drive? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914-8
post Jun 22 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,461

great story!

that's a cool car, but man, I feel bad doing a color change on a plain old 4 banger 914. All of the changes that 916 had had, complete repaint and color change, etc., would be much nicer from a historical perspective if it was still all original.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Jun 22 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #18

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

914-8 so what why be a negitive wet blanket about this car. that is not the point of this artical. I wouldn't trade that molested 916 for all your original cars.
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post Jun 22 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 261

Way to go Wolfgang!!!! Your post and the pic brought a smile to my face. I could see myself doing the same thing, waking at 3:45 and driving 5 hrs to see a great car. You are a through and through enthusiast. Here's to you buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
914-8
post Jun 22 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,461

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jun 22 2007, 07:28 PM) *

914-8 so what why be a negitive wet blanket about this car. that is not the point of this artical. I wouldn't trade that molested 916 for all your original cars.

any real 916 is of course uber-cool, because they are rare and historical. I'd have driven 5 hours for a chance to get a ride in it, too. but can't change the unfortunate fact that so much of that car's original history has been erased. positive or negative, it is what it is.

it's also a bit of a shame that people seem interested in erasing that car's original past as much as possible. it seems taboo to even mention the color change and other mods. and showing pictures of the car as it originally was is strictly verboten. even though the car as it originally came from the factory was quite cool and unique.

my own car is ummm, a wee bit astray from original, so unfortunately there can't be a trade.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:20 PM