Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How old are you?, Tell the truth!
RickS
post Sep 9 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Attached Image

The year I was born:

Average Cost of new house $10.250.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $1,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $85.00
Movie Ticket 70 cents
Life Magazine 20 cents

the year was '54, and I am now '57.

Of course at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit to remember any of that. What I do remember were gas wars and the local gas stations (at least 2 per corner) where the gas went down 5 to 7 cents a gallon to say 26 cents and you still got full service (air tires, wash all windows, check oil, and water and either get free drinking glasses or trading stamps). Cars didn't have seat belts, and wearing the rubber wheels off my red firetruck peddal car. Also the first man into space, the Kennedy assasination, prop airliners ( and the first jet liners) first man on the moon, and doing my damnest to avoid going into the hell call Vietnam, again while chasing tit and getting messed up.

Nice to see I have a lot of company in the 50, 60, 70 year old contingent. Of cours considering the cars are about 40 years old, it just figures.

Have owned a 72, 911T targa (hence my love for open top driving) and currently own a 73 911 and my favorite summer day hot rod, the 71 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 10 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #142

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Nice car, Rick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

If I didn't have enough 914s already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) ... I'd hold out for a nice silver one.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Sep 10 2012, 05:55 AM
Post #143

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Hmmm. We are all now 5 years older than when this thread was started.
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Sep 10 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #144

Member No.: 13,838
Region Association: South East States

[quote name='RickS' date='Sep 10 2012, 01:35 AM' post='1736850']
Attached Image

...at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit...

There's been a change??

Olin

(Nice 'teener)
+Quote Post
ww914
post Sep 10 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #145

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 9 2012, 10:35 PM) *

Attached Image

The year I was born:

Average Cost of new house $10.250.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 22 cents
Average Cost of a new car $1,700.00
Average Monthly Rent $85.00
Movie Ticket 70 cents
Life Magazine 20 cents

the year was '54, and I am now '57.

Of course at age 0 to 2 I was too busy messing myself, and chasing tit to remember any of that. What I do remember were gas wars and the local gas stations (at least 2 per corner) where the gas went down 5 to 7 cents a gallon to say 26 cents and you still got full service (air tires, wash all windows, check oil, and water and either get free drinking glasses or trading stamps). Cars didn't have seat belts, and wearing the rubber wheels off my red firetruck peddal car. Also the first man into space, the Kennedy assasination, prop airliners ( and the first jet liners) first man on the moon, and doing my damnest to avoid going into the hell call Vietnam, again while chasing tit and getting messed up.

Nice to see I have a lot of company in the 50, 60, 70 year old contingent. Of cours considering the cars are about 40 years old, it just figures.

Have owned a 72, 911T targa (hence my love for open top driving) and currently own a 73 911 and my favorite summer day hot rod, the 71 914.

Rick

That is a nice, clean car. I see you went with 5 studs, but kept the original look. Do you recall what size wheels and tires are on your car? This is what I would like to do.
+Quote Post
Niklas
post Sep 10 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #146

Porsche 914 Sweden

Member No.: 10,488
Region Association: Scandinavia

I am 46.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Sep 10 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #147

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

mostly kids! that explains alot

Born in 1964 Renton Washington ...Old enough to know a fool and he`s money will soon part

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
The Metal Surgeon
post Sep 10 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 14,902

+Quote Post
somd914
post Sep 10 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I recall crowding around our 19" black and white TV (complete with rabbit ears) to watch Neil Armstrong step onto the moon and the birth of the 914 around the same time. Can't say as a kid I ever imagined owning a 914 at age 48!

I wonder what my kids will be driving will be driving in their late 40's - likely won't be gas powered!
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Sep 11 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #150

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875

57 as of today.
+Quote Post
FAT DANNY
post Sep 11 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #151

Member No.: 11,121

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 12 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #152

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Old & getting older.

Remember watching Sky King on Saturday mornings, Cisco Kid on Sundays, Friday night fights with my Dad, my Fanner 50 & Buntline Special. Oh, and there were the daily vendors in the neighborhood selling bakery items, fresh meat, milk in a glass bottle with a cardboard cap, the fresh veggie van, the egg man. There were also the occasional Fuller Brush and Electrolux door-to-door salesmen. Worst of all was the Daisy pump BB gun (big mistake on my Dad's part).

On summer days I didn't go to day camp. My mother kicked me out of the house after breakfast. Played baseball & cowboys & indians all day, as well as bike trips.

Wouldn't trade a day of it! I'm 65 & still have the best toy I ever got - my 72 914, which I bought in August '72.
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Sep 12 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #153

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just turned 46
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 13 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #154

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 12 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Old & getting older.

Remember watching Sky King on Saturday mornings, Cisco Kid on Sundays, Friday night fights with my Dad, my Fanner 50 & Buntline Special. Oh, and there were the daily vendors in the neighborhood selling bakery items, fresh meat, milk in a glass bottle with a cardboard cap, the fresh veggie van, the egg man. There were also the occasional Fuller Brush and Electrolux door-to-door salesmen. Worst of all was the Daisy pump BB gun (big mistake on my Dad's part).

Wouldn't trade a day of it! I'm 65 & still have the best toy I ever got - my 72 914, which I bought in August '72.
TV shows: All the Warner Bros. cartoons, Laurel & Hardy, Heckle & Jeckle, Sky King, Commando Cody, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Fury, Amos & Andy, Car 54 Where are you? Anybody remember Roller Derby, live from the Olympic Auditorium?

People look at me funny when I mention the egg man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ...ours was Mr. Jenkins, delivered eggs in a '53 Chevy station wagon.

Fanner 50s are gone, but I still have the matching belt-buckle derringer that took 'Greenie Sick-em Caps' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

How many of you guys had Gilbert Erector Sets? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Sep 13 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #155

Member No.: 12,889

OK remember these came in Sugar Pops. FREE. they had a submarine and this frogman. . add baking soda in the base and put it in a glass of water and watch it rise and dive. . or remember the best Sat morning show. .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 14 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #156

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

The older I get, the older old gets. My body may be 46, but I refuse to act it.

Ok, it was funny when the first person said they were 12. But that joke is old and this thread only means anything if people get real. If we could filter out all that (how is it funny any more?), this is actually interesting.

I rolled some dice. I figure Jamie is 30something (it's ok to be very late), Troy is 45, SirAndy is 46, Gint is 57,
Z. is 5ff-6sss-errrrr-bunnypoint55.
Roger loves Z.
But Roger has been aging and therefor absent.
Miles is miles from here.
Is that a rutabaga?
+Quote Post
potomacmidget
post Sep 14 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #157

I gotta have more cowbell....

Member No.: 12,860

I will be 47 in 3 days....
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 14 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #158

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 13 2012, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 12 2012, 06:39 PM) *
Old & getting older.

TV shows: All the Warner Bros. cartoons, Laurel & Hardy, Heckle & Jeckle, Sky King, Commando Cody, The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Fury, Amos & Andy, Car 54 Where are you? Anybody remember Roller Derby, live from the Olympic Auditorium?

People look at me funny when I mention the egg man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ...ours was Mr. Jenkins, delivered eggs in a '53 Chevy station wagon.

Fanner 50s are gone, but I still have the matching belt-buckle derringer that took 'Greenie Sick-em Caps' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

How many of you guys had Gilbert Erector Sets? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

I had one! They were a lot fun & good for shorting the tracks on my brother's Lionel 3 rail. I was always pissed that he got that instead of me.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Sep 14 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #159

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 13 2012, 12:07 AM) *

Erector set, American bricks, and Lincoln logs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Sep 14 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #160

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875

Had Lincoln Logs and later an jumbo Erector set, but what got me in trouble was a Gilbert chemistry set. Tortured my little brother's GI Joes something awful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Won as a door-prize at the Soapbox Derby awards dinner in 1966, this was my favorite childhood toy: a Monza Jr.

Attached Image

Mine came with a Tecumseh 3 1/2hp motor, but within a year I'd blown it up (a couple of times!) with self-mixed mystery fuel.
Not long after that I spent my busboy savings on a McCulloch 91 and Carlisle slicks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Our neighbors hated me.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:23 PM