Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This year's Parade Concours in San Diego, Good luck to JafSmith!!!!
Pat Garvey
post Jun 26 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

For those unaware, one of our regulars to THIS forum, JafSmith, is on his way to San Diego for the Parade Concours. He lives in Maine! He DRIVES to the event, like a modern day Mike Robbins! James did this last year, and won. I expect he'll win again this year. Must love 3500 mile drives for a concours!

I'd like to wish him good luck AND good health! Last year, he almost didn't make it back because of a very severe illness!

I can't imagine trying to clean up a car to even be presentable after 3500 open road miles!

BTW, his 914 is a Euro six, from Switzerland. It is so nice. He also has a four, with (as I recall) uner 20k miles on it, but it's been garaged for a number of years.

Anyway, wish him good luck & good health. Six months ago he couldn't even crawl under the car. Shows what a targeted plan can do for you.
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,882

MADE IT!!

Arrived Thursday afternoon after crossing the desert in the 95+ heat. Car took a beating this year while in route to the Parade. Tar, gravel, sand AND the HEAT.

I'm currently in the throws of prepping the car for Mondays Concours. If there's anyone in the area that would like to assist or provide moral support or just give me a reason to take a break, swing by. I'm located in the underground parking area under the convention center were the prep area has AIR CONDITIONING!

Damn nice of them....

Give me a jingle at 207-949-1120.

James Smith
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #3

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Madness! Best of luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 30 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Sure hope you cop the distance award (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Best of luck on our mutual "field of dreams", keep us updated, and take heart, next years Parade will be wa-a-a-y closer for you.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #5

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 30 2007, 01:34 PM) *

MADE IT!!

Arrived Thursday afternoon after crossing the desert in the 95+ heat. Car took a beating this year while in route to the Parade. Tar, gravel, sand AND the HEAT.

I'm currently in the throws of prepping the car for Mondays Concours. If there's anyone in the area that would like to assist or provide moral support or just give me a reason to take a break, swing by. I'm located in the underground parking area under the convention center were the prep area has AIR CONDITIONING!

Damn nice of them....

Give me a jingle at 207-949-1120.

James Smith

The best to you @ Parade. Driving cross country & wining is something to be proud of. I think this photo is your car?? I've been trying to duplicate the placement of your rear fog lamp accessory. Your 914-6 is beautiful if this is yours.

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #6

That is a pretty car w/ awesome wheels. Did all the sixs' come w/ sail vinyl in 1970?

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 30 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2007, 05:28 PM) *

That is a pretty car w/ awesome wheels. Did all the sixs' come w/ sail vinyl in 1970?

Yeah, to my knowledge, all US sixes had it. But James' six is a Swiss six. I can just imagine the questions from the judges! He's prepared, with full doc's.

Don't relish going against him next year in Charlotte! For that matter, don'r relish goin against several others from this forum next year! But, nothing won easily is worth anything, and the ability to FINALLY meet some of you is worth everything. Quite frankly, who cares who wins!
Pat
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 30 2007, 07:21 PM) *

The best to you @ Parade. Driving cross country & wining is something to be proud of. I think this photo is your car?? I've been trying to duplicate the placement of your rear fog lamp accessory. Your 914-6 is beautiful if this is yours.

Tom

Yes. Though I think it arrived at the Portland Parade in better condition than to San Diego. The HEAT across the desert was a bear. Seat bolster on the driver's developed a small split. I'm convinced it was the heat and not the dragging of my butt in and out of the car.

Also the elongated shift housing at the firewall melted. An engine oil line is about 1/2" away. Guess when the temperature needle hit the first of the red marks it was hot enough to do the damage. Really melted the top edge. Didn't damage the rubber boot though.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2007, 07:28 PM) *

I belive all sixes US and Euro spec had the sails, except perhaps the GT's. I haven't seen any mention to the contrary.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 30 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Yeah, to my knowledge, all US sixes had it. But James' six is a Swiss six. I can just imagine the questions from the judges! He's prepared, with full doc's.

Don't relish going against him next year in Charlotte! For that matter, don'r relish goin against several others from this forum next year! But, nothing won easily is worth anything, and the ability to FINALLY meet some of you is worth everything. Quite frankly, who cares who wins!
Pat

After last year's judging, I've generated a sheet of what I've discovered as differences (few) and backed them up with at least two sources to confirm them (German factory manuals were of little use). Should be interesting when I hand them to the head judge before they begin picking apart the car (which) they can readily do in any event).

My main mission (as it weas last year) is not to look foolish. As I stated many times last year (and continue too this year) my car is a 5 footer. It shouldn't be judged any closer than five feet!

BTW, this year will be interesting as I understand the Preservation class judging will be far stricter on originality than preparation. A fair bit different than last year, from my observation. I suspect the winner will be one that has been babyied a bit more than my car.

I've got one more day of prep, and haven't begun cleaning the engine or underside. I may decide not to do the underside as I've already pulled one front hub to check a bearing race (developed a shimy turn the final couple of days driving). Turned out to be nothing more than being loose. Too me quite a bit of time with my physical condition. Did most of it on my back. I found it very easy to get into the reclined position, but a bear to get up. It was VERY tempting to take nap on the concrete cooled by the underground garage's air conditioning!

Did you get that Pat? Preparation in an air conditioned room. Damn, it makes me think my next investment will be A/C in the garage at home... try it, you'll like it <grin>

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #11

Pat

What on earth makes you think I'm relishing going up against anyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ? I'd rather be resto-modding the six over what I have to do to the LE. I have undercoating & dirt everywhere. All my bushings are 33 years old & should be changed while I have stuff apart. There's undercoating on my starter & my tranny. My brakes look 400 yrs old. Piss, moan whine, complain, etc... If I get any kind of honorable mention I'll be happy. But remember what you said Pat- "go in w/ an attitude to win" so Concours Wars it is Darth Garvey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) !

BTW- note dealer overspray of undercoating & factory overspray of orange phoenix red. This is the back of my un-molested spare.

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Jun 30 2007, 10:36 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #12

I need to add a thanks to Don Traver from San Deigo (a fellow www.914world.com member).

Tech inspection picked up a burnt brake light, couldn't get inspection for Tuesday's Rally without it being fixed.

One call to Don, and he provided a replacement, within 30 minutes to boot. He even provided some needed "rags" that looked like they just came off his back! <grin>
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 1 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 1 2007, 12:10 AM) *

What on earth makes you think I'm relishing going up against anyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ? I'd rather be resto-modding the six over what I have to do to the LE. I have undercoating & dirt everywhere. All my bushings are 33 years old & should be changed while I have stuff apart. There's undercoating on my starter & my tranny. My brakes look 400 yrs old. Piss, moan whine, complain, etc... If I get any kind of honorable mention I'll be happy. But remember what you said Pat- "go in w/ an attitude to win" so Concours Wars it is Darth Garvey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) !

BTW- note dealer overspray of undercoating & factory overspray of orange phoenix red. This is the back of my un-molested spare.

Purrfect. Other than the spare wheel over spray, you describe my underside (the car, the car) as it is. Restoration Touring is for you....
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 1 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #14

Early concour prep photo. Me doing my thing from the correct position....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 1 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,438

Concours TOMORROW, right???????

I'm dying to see some more pics!
Those Mahles are my absolute favorite wheels of all for the 914, so you've just GOT to win!

Best of Luck,

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 1 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 30 2007, 10:06 PM) *

Pat

After last year's judging, I've generated a sheet of what I've discovered as differences (few) and backed them up with at least two sources to confirm them (German factory manuals were of little use). Should be interesting when I hand them to the head judge before they begin picking apart the car (which) they can readily do in any event).

My main mission (as it weas last year) is not to look foolish. As I stated many times last year (and continue too this year) my car is a 5 footer. It shouldn't be judged any closer than five feet!

BTW, this year will be interesting as I understand the Preservation class judging will be far stricter on originality than preparation. A fair bit different than last year, from my observation. I suspect the winner will be one that has been babyied a bit more than my car.

I've got one more day of prep, and haven't begun cleaning the engine or underside. I may decide not to do the underside as I've already pulled one front hub to check a bearing race (developed a shimy turn the final couple of days driving). Turned out to be nothing more than being loose. Too me quite a bit of time with my physical condition. Did most of it on my back. I found it very easy to get into the reclined position, but a bear to get up. It was VERY tempting to take nap on the concrete cooled by the underground garage's air conditioning!

Did you get that Pat? Preparation in an air conditioned room. Damn, it makes me think my next investment will be A/C in the garage at home... try it, you'll like it <grin>

Hmmm! You HAVE a point! Wouldn't even cost that much, since you'd only use when you need it (like NOW) & would make getting more things accomplished easier for us "raisins".

Good luck tomorrow! Your six is gorgeous in the pics - can't believe you logged 3k miles, through the desert, and it looks that good. You are old-school James & I love it!!!!!!
Pat
+Quote Post
xsurfer
post Jul 1 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,818

Best of luck tomorrow! I'm too far away to help (Pasadena).

I'm wondering how hot your temp gauge showed on the way out.

I bought a original six from 2nd owner with 85K miles on last Sept.. Got in and drove home. The temp did get very close to the red about three times.

Win!

Gene
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 2 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #18

So...James, did you win????????

I went to PCA.org and all they seem to have is a collection of pics, you can only see one pic at a time. They had a video I didn't download...

I didn't see a results page..

Paul
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 2 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #19

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 2 2007, 03:39 PM) *

So...James, did you win????????

I went to PCA.org and all they seem to have is a collection of pics, you can only see one pic at a time. They had a video I didn't download...

I didn't see a results page..

Paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I want to know before I leave late tonight on my one week vacation. Be back the week of July 9th. & can't wait that long.

Tom
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 2 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 2 2007, 07:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I want to know before I leave late tonight on my one week vacation. Be back the week of July 9th. & can't wait that long.

Tom

It's WORSE for me! I'm holding my breath!

Paul
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:45 PM