Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stereo renovation thread, A few questions
familienauto
post Jun 27 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #1

Volksporsche

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,156
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi guys,

It's finally time to rip the sub-par stereo system out of the 914.

A couple days ago I took the speaker grills off...and realized that when the speakers were installed, they were the wrong size, and had just been bolted through the grill, damaging a couple of the cross-pieces on the grill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

That aside...here's what I plan to do:

1. Get the morphenspectra 4x6 speakers and adapter plates. Supposedly these are 75 watt speakers.

2. Buy a new receiver from Crutchfield...nothing fancy, something with a removable faceplate.

3. Wire it up using all the original leads.

So...is this a plan for success? Or does it need more punch? I don't want a booming, window-shattering-loud stereo, just something that would be audible over the engine in town, 25-35 MPH. Car is usually driven with the top off and has Monza exhaust.

Let me know if I'm overlooking anything. This is the first stereo install I've done.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kenpolives
post Jun 27 2007, 04:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,479

If you get the kick panel speakers you should get the subwoofer kit, either the center console or the footwell verzion. A nice amp can be mounted in the front trunk or under the pass seat. The sub is worth the money/
+Quote Post
ptravnic
post Jun 27 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

Rather than the 4x6's, I'd suggest going with the morphenspectra 6.5" replacement panels. Much better sound comes out of 6.5" speakers than the 4x6 panels. Just my $0.02.

The sub enclosures sound like overkill for what you want ("just something that would be audible over the engine in town, 25-35 MPH").

If keeping the stock grill look is important to you, get the best 4x6's you can afford. Before morphenspectra came about, I tried a variety of 4x6's and was very disappointed in the cheaper versions.

-pt

+Quote Post
Edd
post Feb 17 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,720

Along this line. What experience does anyone have adding a new receiver with MP3/CD to replace the old radio / cassette tape player. I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player. Is this portion of the dash "easily" replaceable?
+Quote Post
faster48
post Feb 17 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,001

QUOTE(Edd @ Feb 17 2008, 08:18 AM) *

Along this line. What experience does anyone have adding a new receiver with MP3/CD to replace the old radio / cassette tape player. I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player. Is this portion of the dash "easily" replaceable?

Edd,

I installed a new Pioneer DEH-6900UB last summer. I didn't have to do much more than trim the dash material a bit. Very simple install. I would suggest using better heavier gauge speaker wire, it will make a world of difference in the speakers ability to reproduce sound. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rufio0205
post Mar 13 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,099
Region Association: South East States

i put a kenwood head unit in my car no problem.
my problem is finding the right speakers and where they go. there aren't too many viable locations in a 914.
anybody have any ideas on alternative locations for 6-1/2s?
i have a set of 6-1/2s and tweeters. about to get an amp and a pair 8's for the front trunk. dont know how that will help or sound but something is better than nothing
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 13 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player.

Actually, most single DIN stereos fit just fine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) There is a false front on that section of metal that has the three holes for the stereo. You can just pull that off and see the full size cutout.

See this picture of my car without the false front, you can also see the two strips of orange which is the remnants of the double sided foam tape used to keep it in place.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
purple
post Mar 14 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #8

Pigeon feeders attract me

Member No.: 7,942

see much stuff behind you mark?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:28 PM