Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo renovation thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
familienauto
Hi guys,

It's finally time to rip the sub-par stereo system out of the 914.

A couple days ago I took the speaker grills off...and realized that when the speakers were installed, they were the wrong size, and had just been bolted through the grill, damaging a couple of the cross-pieces on the grill. dry.gif

That aside...here's what I plan to do:

1. Get the morphenspectra 4x6 speakers and adapter plates. Supposedly these are 75 watt speakers.

2. Buy a new receiver from Crutchfield...nothing fancy, something with a removable faceplate.

3. Wire it up using all the original leads.

So...is this a plan for success? Or does it need more punch? I don't want a booming, window-shattering-loud stereo, just something that would be audible over the engine in town, 25-35 MPH. Car is usually driven with the top off and has Monza exhaust.

Let me know if I'm overlooking anything. This is the first stereo install I've done.

Zach
kenpolives
If you get the kick panel speakers you should get the subwoofer kit, either the center console or the footwell verzion. A nice amp can be mounted in the front trunk or under the pass seat. The sub is worth the money/
ptravnic
Rather than the 4x6's, I'd suggest going with the morphenspectra 6.5" replacement panels. Much better sound comes out of 6.5" speakers than the 4x6 panels. Just my $0.02.

The sub enclosures sound like overkill for what you want ("just something that would be audible over the engine in town, 25-35 MPH").

If keeping the stock grill look is important to you, get the best 4x6's you can afford. Before morphenspectra came about, I tried a variety of 4x6's and was very disappointed in the cheaper versions.

-pt

Edd
Along this line. What experience does anyone have adding a new receiver with MP3/CD to replace the old radio / cassette tape player. I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player. Is this portion of the dash "easily" replaceable?
faster48
QUOTE(Edd @ Feb 17 2008, 08:18 AM) *

Along this line. What experience does anyone have adding a new receiver with MP3/CD to replace the old radio / cassette tape player. I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player. Is this portion of the dash "easily" replaceable?

Edd,

I installed a new Pioneer DEH-6900UB last summer. I didn't have to do much more than trim the dash material a bit. Very simple install. I would suggest using better heavier gauge speaker wire, it will make a world of difference in the speakers ability to reproduce sound. aktion035.gif
rufio0205
i put a kenwood head unit in my car no problem.
my problem is finding the right speakers and where they go. there aren't too many viable locations in a 914.
anybody have any ideas on alternative locations for 6-1/2s?
i have a set of 6-1/2s and tweeters. about to get an amp and a pair 8's for the front trunk. dont know how that will help or sound but something is better than nothing
McMark
I know that the orginal opening in the dase is too small for the more modern CD player.

Actually, most single DIN stereos fit just fine. wink.gif There is a false front on that section of metal that has the three holes for the stereo. You can just pull that off and see the full size cutout.

See this picture of my car without the false front, you can also see the two strips of orange which is the remnants of the double sided foam tape used to keep it in place.
purple
see much stuff behind you mark?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.