Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why there's a tire calculator here, or more money down the drain
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 27 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have beautiful Pirelli P6000's on my 74 & they're the wrong size... 195/60. I wish I knew about the calculator 5 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ! I'm putting more miles on my odometer than I should be & here's why: on the left a Pirelli 195/60 & on the right a 33 year old original Dunlop 165 R15. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The height difference is over an inch!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 27 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 27 2007, 12:45 PM) *

I have beautiful Pirelli P6000's on my 74 & they're the wrong size... 195/60. I wish I knew about the calculator 5 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ! I'm putting more miles on my odometer than I should be & here's why: on the left a Pirelli 195/60 & on the right a 33 year old original Dunlop 165 R15. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The height difference is over an inch!!

I am both shocked and dismayed that you would have this 195/60 sized set of tires on your dear dad's original 74 limited edition! AND that you are even THINKING of entering this original car in the Parade next year in Charlotte with such "shoddy" rubber!! The 165 15 Coker tire michelin repro is the only one that should ever have the honor of wearing those mahle wheels and be anywhere NEAR that car!

Furthermore I demand that this topic be moved the the originality and history section so you can take the thorough thrashing that you deserve!
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 27 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 27 2007, 04:10 PM) *

I am both shocked and dismayed that you would have this dissimilar combination of tires on your dear dad's original 74 limited edition! AND that you are even THINKING of entering this original car in the Parade next year in Charlotte with such "shoddy" rubber!! The 165 15 Coker tire michelin repro is the only one that should ever have the honor of wearing those mahle wheels and be anywhere NEAR that car!

Furthermore I demand that this topic be moved the the originality and history section so you can take the thorough thrashing that you deserve!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
G- the car came w/ Dunlops! I know, I was there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . The Dunlop is off of my spare & still holds 36psi. Good enough to wash my windshield & preserve a bit of history.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 27 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 27 2007, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 27 2007, 04:10 PM) *

I am both shocked and dismayed that you would have this dissimilar combination of tires on your dear dad's original 74 limited edition! AND that you are even THINKING of entering this original car in the Parade next year in Charlotte with such "shoddy" rubber!! The 165 15 Coker tire michelin repro is the only one that should ever have the honor of wearing those mahle wheels and be anywhere NEAR that car!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
G- the car came w/ Dunlops! I know, I was there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . The Dunlop is off of my spare & still holds 36psi. Good enough to wash my windshield & preserve a bit of history.

Dunlops are fine but unavailable. I was talking about the 195/60s!!!!!!!! THOSE have to go! (you think that at least 195/65 15s would have been installed!
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 27 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 27 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Dunlops are fine but unavailable. I was talking about the 195/60s!!!!!!!! THOSE have to go! (you think that at least 195/65 15s would have been installed!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) on the job, plain & simple. I f*cked up & no one else to blame but me. I did not have access to the tire calculator here on the world & got the wrong size. This was 5 years ago now. I did'nt know any better. Worse news is there's about 207 miles too much on my odometer, if I've done my math right. Might be lucky though in that they, the 195/60s', might fit my Civic just perfect!

I know you do but most people don't realize what a pain it is to mount LE Mahles. One little slip/mistake & back to repaint. We both overlooked my spare 4 years ago & it was not refinished & has to be if I'm gonna get into "the Concours Wars" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) The "Dark Lord Garvey" is lurking in the distance w/ his evil, very clean ways (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) . Read my blog first Pat before you say anything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 27 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

JB,
Don't beat yourself up. Go back to originals if that's what you want. I also have 195/60s on my 914. I like the improvement in handling and appearance that they provide. I also prefer the fatter, A/M steering wheel to the wispy OEM equipment. If Pat , George and assorted CW judges don't like the "improvements", I'm willing to take the point loss for them. I have the car to satisfy me first, after all.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 27 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 27 2007, 05:43 PM) *

JB,
Don't beat yourself up. Go back to originals if that's what you want. I also have 195/60s on my 914. I like the improvement in handling and appearance that they provide. I also prefer the fatter, A/M steering wheel to the wispy OEM equipment. If Pat , George and assorted CW judges don't like the "improvements", I'm willing to take the point loss for them. I have the car to satisfy me first, after all.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 99%... however, the additional miles on this LE is unacceptable. I'm going to take a hit for my Optima & don't give a rats a**. I will never go wet again, period. I've got SS exchangers, Pertronix ignition, Bosch Blue coil, fatter spark plug wires that look stock. I added a direct ground to the engine because I know what that did for my Civic- MPG! I'm putting in powder coated heat ducting in her & I only use K&N filters. I don't care if I take massive hits for these items, they are major improvements over the original parts & still look sort of stock. I'm not going to put 165s on her no matter what. I like my meat as well but I got to get rid of the 60s & go w/ 65s for the sake of the mileage. I'm now off the wrong way... the car has less miles than indicated, not more as most automobiles do.

+Quote Post
BS Chairman
post Jun 27 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 28

Ok guys, here's what I have on my six. A509 205/65/15 94V Yoko. They are mounted on stock steel wheels with no rubbing. Before everyone starts saying to big, I have a friend who is a cop and with the help of his scout car my tires check out with in one mph at 50 mph. We also did another check at --- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) well, now thats another story, but, kept around a 2-3 mph (faster) than what the scout car read! I'm a CW but for the tires I take the hit. I forgot this six has a Optiam Yellow Top and also don't give a rats a##!
Gary
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 27 2007, 11:08 PM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Gary, did you ever find a passengers door pocket?
+Quote Post
BS Chairman
post Jun 28 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 28

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 27 2007, 09:08 PM) *

Gary, did you ever find a passengers door pocket?

Eric, sorry you lost me on that one. No clue why anyone would want a passengers door pocket on a 914!?!
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 28 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Sorry... it's that piece under the passengers arm rest. I just called it a pocket. If I recall your's was plastic?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 28 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 28 2007, 08:56 AM) *

Sorry... it's that piece under the passengers arm rest. I just called it a pocket. If I recall your's was plastic?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Eric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) Hehehehehehe
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 28 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #13

PMB Performance

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 28 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 27 2007, 10:44 PM) *

Ok guys, here's what I have on my six. A509 205/65/15 94V Yoko. They are mounted on stock steel wheels with no rubbing. Before everyone starts saying to big, I have a friend who is a cop and with the help of his scout car my tires check out with in one mph at 50 mph. We also did another check at --- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) well, now thats another story, but, kept around a 2-3 mph (faster) than what the scout car read! I'm a CW but for the tires I take the hit. I forgot this six has a Optiam Yellow Top and also don't give a rats a##!
Gary

Thanks for the tip. I knew I wanted 205/65's, the calculator says they're it, but I was worried about rubbing. Ordered 5 Dunlop 205/65's this morning, gonna do the spare too. Tire Rack says they will fit onto a 5.5" rim... that's the smallest they can go. If this costs points at the show so be it. At least they're Dunlops & I got to have some beef under the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Pirellis are going on the Civic. A 95 Honda Civic... w/ Pirelli P6000's. What is this world comming to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 28 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 28 2007, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 27 2007, 10:44 PM) *

Gary

Thanks for the tip. I knew I wanted 205/65's, the calculator says they're it, but I was worried about rubbing. Ordered 5 Dunlop 205/65's this morning, gonna do the spare too. Tire Rack says they will fit onto a 5.5" rim... that's the smallest they can go. If this costs points at the show so be it. At least they're Dunlops & I got to have some beef under the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Pirellis are going on the Civic. A 95 Honda Civic... w/ Pirelli P6000's. What is this world comming to? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

you better NOT put those 205 tires on that coveted car!

+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 28 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 28 2007, 03:07 PM) *

I thought the calculator says:
195/65/15 or
205/60/15 will give you the closest circumference.

I have a feeling this is probably a bit like shoe size, one company's size 11 is not like another's...

I'm looking for 195/65 for a set of Fuchs I bought as a spare "driving" set and am up for recommendations as well. I'll keep the 165 on the steel wheels in case I ever, ever show it!

Paul
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 28 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #17

PMB Performance

205/60 would be damn close but... I've had nothing but problems fitting them on the rear of a stock bodied car.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 28 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 28 2007, 09:11 PM) *

205/60 would be damn close but... I've had nothing but problems fitting them on the rear of a stock bodied car.

Now this worries me... 205/60 is still too small according to the diameter indicator & 65s' are a hair over, which is better for the odometer. The problem now is if E thinks 205s' are too wide for a stock car what difference will the height matter to me... my 205's are on the way?!

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 28 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 28 2007, 06:09 PM) *

I thought the calculator says:
195/65/15 or
205/60/15 will give you the closest circumference.

I have a feeling this is probably a bit like shoe size, one company's size 11 is not like another's...

I'm looking for 195/65 for a set of Fuchs I bought as a spare "driving" set and am up for recommendations as well. I'll keep the 165 on the steel wheels in case I ever, ever show it!

Paul

Nope, both of those are inside the blue circle. 195/70s' are 1.4% outside the circle & 205/65s' are 0.4% outside the blue circle. Those are the 2 sizes that are still available & closest to stock ride height. Again, it's not the spedometer accuracy I'm after, it's the odometer- the car is still under 50K mi. after 33 years. That, keeping her fully operational, clean & rust free are my main goals w/ the car. I have the six now to play with & have fun with.

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 28 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2007, 05:07 PM) *

you better NOT put those 205 tires on that coveted car!

So what are you saying G? I need 5 more perfect Mahles just to put 165s' on?!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Concours is a pain in my rear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Boy this is it- the LE is going to be the only path I take down the CW road. I will not put a wet cell in her, even for 5 minutes. Where are the renegade purists (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) ? The guys who want to play w/ stock factory parts & make teeners better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) ? CWs' can't look down too bad on "pure mods" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ? "We" need our own Forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 03:18 AM