Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why there's a tire calculator here, or more money down the drain
Pat Garvey
post Jun 28 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #21

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 27 2007, 03:43 PM) *

JB,
Don't beat yourself up. Go back to originals if that's what you want. I also have 195/60s on my 914. I like the improvement in handling and appearance that they provide. I also prefer the fatter, A/M steering wheel to the wispy OEM equipment. If Pat , George and assorted CW judges don't like the "improvements", I'm willing to take the point loss for them.

And you will my friend. Why? They're all bolt-on items! You 914 will be the freshest restoration out there! Why would you give up the chance for F_cking steering wheel? Are you nuts? And...you can't have a spare set of tires/wheels, after all you've spent on the restoration? Are you nuts? You could whip all of us!
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 28 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #22

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I think 205's are a risk for rubbing on the rear fender lip. No risk with 195/65. I hope you can return them if they won't fit.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 29 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #23

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The problem now is if E thinks 205s' are too wide for a stock car what difference will the height matter to me... my 205's are on the way?!

You will probably have serious problems in the rear. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you though. Check out Gints thread on wheels and tire sizes. He physically measured something like 4 different brands and they all varied... you may get lucky.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 29 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #24

Many are able to fit 205/50's under stock fenders, especially with a stiff rear suspension. They are so short that the fat part of the tire is well below the fender lip. The 205/60 series is often a problem and the 65 will be worse because it is so tall that the fat part is at the lip.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I cancelled the 205s' & am going w/ Dunlop 195/65s'. A hair too small but they'll fit. I caved to pressure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 30 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #26

You will be happy with them. I think innate speedo error will be greater than the difference in tire size from stock. And 30mm more width is plenty.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 30 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2007, 03:30 PM) *

I cancelled the 205s' & am going w/ Dunlop 195/65s'. A hair too small but they'll fit. I caved to pressure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

I'm also in the market. Dunlop what model, why, what else did you look at?

Paul
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 30 2007, 08:22 PM) *

I'm also in the market. Dunlop what model, why, what else did you look at?
Paul

I went w/ Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus (High Performance All-Season) 195/65 HR 15s', for several reasons: the size, performance type, price-$59.00/per @ the "Tire Rack" & the car came w/ Dunlops originally. Maybe I'll catch a break for having the "right" brand, even though they're not the "right" size. I also got 5 so I could do the spare as well. Speedo will be 1.6% too fast w/ that size or 60mph will really be 59.02mph. That is a miniscule discrepancy for the odometer & I had 195/60's on her now so I know they'll fit. Stock Mahle 4 bolt burners.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 2 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #29

205s' arrived today & I sent them back. Later on, 3 of my 5 195/65s' showed up. Attached is a photo of an original Dunlop 165/80 on the left, a Dunlop 195/65 in the middle & a Pirelli 195/60 on the right. Too late now but I wonder if 195/70s' would have fit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

BTW: Dunlops- amazing tread difference in 33 yrs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Jul 4 2007, 09:09 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 4 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 195/65. I have a good local tire guy and I mentioned the wheel size to him on Monday as I drove past his shop. Told him I was thinking about Michelin. Yesterday I drive in to look at tires in general and he tells me he has a set coming in tomorrow for me to look at.

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 4 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 28 2007, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2007, 05:07 PM) *

you better NOT put those 205 tires on that coveted car!

So what are you saying G? I need 5 more perfect Mahles just to put 165s' on?!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Concours is a pain in my rear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Boy this is it- the LE is going to be the only path I take down the CW road. I will not put a wet cell in her, even for 5 minutes. Where are the renegade purists (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) ? The guys who want to play w/ stock factory parts & make teeners better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) ? CWs' can't look down too bad on "pure mods" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ? "We" need our own Forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

Wait, Wait, Wait!
I fear I'm going to go into ANOTHER one of my lengthy diatribes here! Yep I am, dammit!
Look, having a CW 914 is a matter of personal taste, regardless of the rules for FULL CW.

Why? Because we don't al/allways play at the ultimate level. If you have a nice 914, you can almost always play well at the local level, because you're your own class at many. Cool/clean 914's rule here. Usually non-original items are judged to be insignificant. yeah it's not REALLY concours, but you get to play.

Regional - you'll need to play harder. If it's a PCA Regional, you may as well be at a Parade. But...still, how many 914's will be there? And how many will be hardcore? Chance you take, but sometimes the little "personal nuances" will be able to slip by.

Multi-marque? The best. Come in with a slick 914, really clean. You can beat Ferraris, Jags, etc - but it had better be REALLY clean. Been there - done that. believe me, it's an ago trip to whip a Ferrari or Jag, or '57 T-Bird, but it's only because the judges at these events are ignorant - not be choice, but necessity.

PCA Parade! The Holy Grail of Porsche concours. Yep, there are too many classes, but you can pick you're own level of competition. Just about any 914 has a place in the Parade, but pick your class carefully.

I started out in concours at the Parade full-concours level. That's where I will stay, whatever it is called. But, don't let that scare away others - there is a class for you, even if you want to have a dry cell battery!

The key here is - preservation. Every time you enter a concours, at whatever level, you are representing the 914 marque. Do it where you're comfortable. Tires? Buy what you're happy with. Just play!
Pat
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 4 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #32

I am participating in a OE tire discussion on the 912 Registry. Some are recommending against the spendy Coker Michelin xzx's because they ride too hard (I think they are talking about OLD versions, not the Coker repros). Some recommend the Verdenstein (sp?) instead. Any opinions here? I have a 912 but don't hold that against me please. Going back to original chromes with caps and 165's as Ferdinand and Butzi intended.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 4 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jul 4 2007, 11:25 PM) *

I am participating in a OE tire discussion on the 912 Registry. Some are recommending against the spendy Coker Michelin xzx's because they ride too hard (I think they are talking about OLD versions, not the Coker repros). Some recommend the Verdenstein (sp?) instead. Any opinions here? I have a 912 but don't hold that against me please.

Damned ass dragger! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Don't know about the tires you mentioned but have you checked if Khumo has the size? They're not bad, got them on my truck, & the classic 914 165/80/R15s' are only $34.00/per @ the Tire Rack. They feel nice & @ that price you can afford to buy new tires every 2 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 4 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #34

Yep, Kuhmo Roadstar 165x15 is under $40 per. Had some on a 66 911 with stock 4.5 wheels a few years ago. No complaints. The CW in me keeps looking at the Michelins. And they cost about $100 per more! It's a disease I tell you!
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 4 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #35

Disease? Unfortunately if it is, it's fatal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . I've been watching eBay for more Mahles, so I can mount 165s on them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #36

First of all the above statement is not to be taken seriously by anyone. I am not buying 4 more wheels & mounting tires on them unless I can do all 4 for under $50.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

I brought this thread back up because more issues seem to have arisen regarding concours & tires. There are roughly 4 165R15 tires that are radials, available & tubeless- Kuhmo Powerstar 758, something called a Lexington, something called a Futura & the 165HR15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT BLACKWALL TIRE. I've been informed that since Kuhmo was not around in 1974 I'd get knocked for them. I've never heard of any of those other brands so what is a concours weenie whore, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) , supposed to do?
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 5 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #37

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 5 2007, 11:36 AM) *

First of all the above statement is not to be taken seriously by anyone. I am not buying 4 more wheels & mounting tires on them unless I can do all 4 for under $50.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

I brought this thread back up because more issues seem to have arisen regarding concours & tires. There are roughly 4 165R15 tires that are radials, available & tubeless- Kuhmo Powerstar 758, something called a Lexington, something called a Futura & the 165HR15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT BLACKWALL TIRE. I've been informed that since Kuhmo was not around in 1974 I'd get knocked for them. I've never heard of any of those other brands so what is a concours weenie whore, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) , supposed to do?

VREDESTEIN are crap tires IMHO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 5 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #38

Do what I am saving my pennies for, Coker Tire Co., Michelin XZX, 165x15. Nothing is more "correct". Unfortunately, you can buy 4 of the Kuhmos for the price of one Michelin!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 5 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 27 2007, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 27 2007, 12:45 PM) *

I have beautiful Pirelli P6000's on my 74 & they're the wrong size... 195/60. I wish I knew about the calculator 5 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ! I'm putting more miles on my odometer than I should be & here's why: on the left a Pirelli 195/60 & on the right a 33 year old original Dunlop 165 R15. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The height difference is over an inch!!

I am both shocked and dismayed that you would have this 195/60 sized set of tires on your dear dad's original 74 limited edition! AND that you are even THINKING of entering this original car in the Parade next year in Charlotte with such "shoddy" rubber!! The 165 15 Coker tire michelin repro is the only one that should ever have the honor of wearing those mahle wheels and be anywhere NEAR that car!

Furthermore I demand that this topic be moved the the originality and history section so you can take the thorough thrashing that you deserve!

George,

I'm in the same boat as Al, except I need 5 for a '72 (originally came w/165 Continentals). Even though my Cinturatos have over 90% tread, they're 28 years old & must go. I've also have a set of 195/60 Yoko A008R's for my chrome (street)rims, but they are ancient also.

The issues I have with the Coker Michelins are:
1. Old tire technology
2. Tube required
3. Cost! A set of 5, with tubes & mounting by a shop that won't touch my wheels is going to set me back around $1,500! For old tech!

Haven't come to grips with this yet, and open to alternatives.

Pat
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 5 2007, 12:53 PM) *

Do what I am saving my pennies for, Coker Tire Co., Michelin XZX, 165x15. Nothing is more "correct". Unfortunately, you can buy 4 of the Kuhmos for the price of one Michelin!

There is no XZX, only the XAS, which is a tubed tire. Am I missing something on the Coker website that says XZX?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I've checked The Tire Rack & the only tire they have in that size is a Kuhmo. Discout Tire Direct does not carry the size, period.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:50 AM