Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why there's a tire calculator here, or more money down the drain
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 5 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #41

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Pat, are you sure about the tube issue? I spoke with Coker and that was not mentioned. I have a vintage (OE) XZX spare in my trunk and it is tubeless. At $137 per, plus shipping and mounting, I see about $900 for 5 (which is still too damn much). As to Technology, I think the tires match the technology of our near 40 year-old car pretty well. And you don't drive yours much anyway!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #42

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 5 2007, 01:33 PM) *

Pat, are you sure about the tube issue? I spoke with Coker and that was not mentioned. I have a vintage (OE) XZX spare in my trunk and it is tubeless. At $139 per, plus shipping and mounting, I see about $900 for 5 (which is still too damn much). As to Technology, I think the tires match the technology of our near 40 year-old car pretty well. And you don't drive yours much anyway!

definitley a tubed tire-

http://store.coker.com/product.php?product...at=0&page=1
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #43

Can anyone find another tire that is tubeless, radial & a 165HR15 besides the Kuhmos & Vredesteins? Did either of these brands exist in 1974? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm starting to feel real good about going w/ Dunlops. Wrong size or not they're OEM. Better start writing up my protest to PCA for next summer. Nothing like being prepared & having done your homework.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 5 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #44

I was suggesting the XZX, not the XAS which is tube-type. I do not believe the XAS was ever OE on 914's. The 165 size I think was used on British wire wheel cars, thus the need for a tube. My '69 912 still has the original spare (very cracked!) and it is a tubeless XZX 165SR15.
Here you go:

The Vredesteins were around in the 70's I believe but were never OE to my knowledge. If originality is the goal the Michelin is the tire.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 5 2007, 02:34 PM) *

I was suggesting the XZX, not the XAS which is tube-type. I do not believe the XAS was ever OE on 914's. The 165 size I think was used on British wire wheel cars, thus the need for a tube. My '69 912 still has the original spare (very cracked!) and it is a tubelss XZX 165SR15.
Here you go:

The Vredesteins were around in the 70's I believe but were never OE to my knowledge. If originality is the goal the Michelin is the tire.

Jim- thanks. I did not see that listed becasue it's an SR, not an HR. Original Dunlops were HR rated, I still have my old spare- saved it just for history. So I have to downgrade the car to have an acceptable tire... I think I still have a good argument for getting my Dunlops or, making PCA realize that the Khumos & Vredesteins are it now. The XZX is a downgrade for an LE.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 5 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #46

Having fitted lots of tires to lots of old Porsches, I encourage you to go 195/65 with the Dunlops if they are available in that size. That is the closest modern size to the 165's of old. It looks as tall in the wheel well and keeps speedo/gearing very close to stock (off only about 1.6%).

Personally, except for the cost, I would go with the Michelins. No judge will ever dispute that tire and I doubt there is a judge who would know that an LE came with H rated tires.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 5 2007, 03:40 PM) *

Having fitted lots of tires to lots of old Porsches, I encourage you to go 195/65 with the Dunlops if they are available in that size. That is the closest modern size to the 165's of old. It looks as tall in the wheel well and keeps speedo/gearing very close to stock (off only about 1.6%).

Personally, except for the cost, I would go with the Michelins. No judge will ever dispute that tire and I doubt there is a judge who would know that an LE came with H rated tires.

Jim- I'm glad you approve of my choice, especially since I have them already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

My last remaining original "Dunlop SP57" on the left & my new "Dunlop SP Sport A2+" on the right. Both are HR rated & both are "SPs". I will gladly take a hit for my Optima, but I think I have a serious leg to stand on regarding tires- PCA does not approve of the brands available to me for an HR rated, tubeless radial in a 165HR15 so what other choice do I have?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 5 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #48

I guess it is the old "catch 22". Either go with an S rated tire that came on new 914's and be close to original that way, or a wider modern sized tire of the same brand and speed rating as came new on your car. If I'm the judge, I think the S rated tire is more "original". But in this matter you are the judge!
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 5 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 5 2007, 04:57 PM) *

I guess it is the old "catch 22".

Exactly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Am I resto or preserves? Size over speed rating on the tires? Optima or wet cell? I just don't know & seem to be raising a whole bunch of interesting questions. No one knows this car better than me so if I was judging an LE I'd cave into reason. The car is supposed to have HR rated tires... it's one of the things that made it an LE. Where's the damned frustration emoticon?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 11:19 PM