Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Rear Fog Lamp Installation with details & Photo's, Only winning cars have them, BLing, Bling.
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Mid-Engn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi Guys,

I just finished drilling (2) 6mm holes & (1) 3mm hole in by trunk to mount my "Rear Fog Light" factory accessory. I like it, makes my car different from all the others. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Here's a few pictures to show details of the U.S.A. issue rear fog lamp I installed. I got a Euro fog lamp assembly from Gustl (thanks Gustl-aka-Wolfgang) & put everything together using the satin black U.S. housing with the Euro lens because I thought it looked better. One of the brackets to mount is still available from Porsche, but the exterior bracket is NLA. The exterior bracket I got from Gustl was a surprise, it's made of stainless steel.

I'll post a number of photo's in a few days showing lots of details & differences. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Hope you guys enjoy.

Tom
BTW Pat: I measured a lot before drilling the holes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Mid-Engn.

Here's a few more photo's of the brackets. The one that goes in the trunk is still available from Porsche & it's a no brainer locating the holes.

Note, the U.S. spec housing is satin black & the Euro housing I got from Gusts was chromed. I wonder why??

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Mid-Engn.

Differences inside the U.S. & Euro housings

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Mid-Engn.

Lens are different. I like the Euro lens & that's what I used.

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #5

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So update your damned avatar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! Looks nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) , something to think about for the six.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 30 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Tom,
Nice tidy installation. I presume that there is a factory spec switch, similar to the front fog light switch that activates it, or is it wired so the rear light is illuminated when the front fogs are turned on?

Unique, distinctive and factory! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 30 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #7

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 30 2007, 03:06 PM) *

Tom,
Nice tidy installation. I presume that there is a factory spec switch, similar to the front fog light switch that activates it, or is it wired so the rear light is illuminated when the front fogs are turned on?

Unique, distinctive and factory! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Paul

Hi Paul,

I haven't got to that yet & need to know how to wire up the switch. For now the wire is curled up in the trunk waiting for the above info. Anybody know the answer??

Tom
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 30 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Tom,
I'd guess that a European wiring diagram might show how the rear fog is wired.

I would also presume that the bulb used in that application would be of higher wattage than the t/l bulbs, yes?

Paul
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jun 30 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #9

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 30 2007, 11:00 PM) *
Note, the U.S. spec housing is satin black & the Euro housing I got from Gustls was chromed. I wonder why??

maybe it has to do something with the model year?
or they used the different versions for cars with black bumpers vs. cars with chrome bumpers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

anyhow - nice work, Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
I'm happy it worked out well for you
your car is a much better place than my cellar, for this rear fog light (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 30 2007, 07:18 PM) *

I would also presume that the bulb used in that application would be of higher wattage than the t/l bulbs, yes?

Paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) & would use a US bulb if possible to keep any heat from the electrical current down, just to be safe.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 30 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Allright! You had to know this was coming Tom.

You have this nice, tidy installation of a rear fog - with the wiring laying in the trunk? YOU DRILLED HOLES in your 914 for something that may, or may not work? Holes that will have to be leaded in if this scheme doesn't work - and repainted. For a rear fog light?

Well then, I'll have to say that it's pretty cool (assuming you can wire it in "per fatory"). If not, your 914 is ruined, though I'd "help" you find a buyer who wants extraneous holes in a 914 - think I know one close by, though the yellow color could be a problem.

Pat

ps - nice job - neat thing. And, you know I'm only kidding, except for the yellow color!
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 30 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,882

Tom:

You missed the rubber gromet that the lead to the light goes thru. Also my bracket was not stainless, nor the hex bolts that go through the rear panel.

I've been trying to trace the circuit to the front (it has a separate switch) without any sucess. I have the German factory manuals and it has little to offer. I'm being to think it was a dealer installed option.

BTW, my 914-6 is an Euro version. Chrome housing, rounded edge (though with a couple of chips) rather than the current version available that overlaps the housing. Headlights have to be on (low beam) for the switch to be active. It is not tied to the driving light switch (no fogs on the Euro model).
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 30 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #13

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Excellent Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jul 1 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 1 2007, 12:29 AM) *

To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean. <grin>
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Jul 2 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 198

The Famous "Lost Warehouse" sale a few years back included the factory rear fog wiring harness. I bought one from George at that time, so I can describe it for you. It consists of two wires in a sleeve at the light, the brown wire has a ring about halfway along the length, it connected to the ground post under the relay board. From the light it joins the rear harness in the metal tabs, up and over the wheel arch, through the slot at the front of the trunk. The other wire, (sorry, I'll have to edit in the color, as it's on my other car) goes into the tunnel via the rubber boot from the engine shelf to the lower firewall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) After that it will go to the foglight relay, I guess, not sure how it would go to be "Per Fatory". (I used it for a trunk solenoid, so ended it at my custom console.) Pretty sure it has sleeving all the way, but can't remember offhand.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 2 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #16

PMB Performance

To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean.

Pat can't "handle" a rear fog light. Son, we live in a world that has rear fog lights. And those fog lights have to be guarded by men with award winning cars. Who's gonna do it? Pat? Pat Garvey? Tom has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Tom and you curse the rear fog light. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Tom's newfound rust holes, while tragic, probably helped others win awards. And the rear fog lights existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins trophy's...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want a rear fog light. You need a rear fog light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #17

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 05:16 PM) *

To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean.

Pat can't "handle" a rear fog light. Son, we live in a world that has rear fog lights. And those fog lights have to be guarded by men with award winning cars. Who's gonna do it? Pat? Pat Garvey? Tom has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Tom and you curse the rear fog light. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Tom's newfound rust holes, while tragic, probably helped others win awards. And the rear fog lights existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins trophy's...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want a rear fog light. You need a rear fog light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Eric, you guys crack me up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I have created another unattainable accessory bling, bling, for must have CW's at any price by us sicko's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) First is was the $50.00 Saratoga roof now @ $1,000.00 bucks & now the priceless "rear fog lamp" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Let me see, I've got a trunk rack, Saratoga roof, Rear fog lamp, now all I need is a 3.6 6er motor. When will the madness end??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Tom
BTW: I'll be a hit on Woodward Ave during the Woodward cruise this August. I will stay out of Detroit trucking this kind of bling, bling.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 2 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #18

PMB Performance

Keep the trunk rack Gomer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 2 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #19

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 05:16 PM) *

Eric, you guys crack me up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I have created another unattainable accessory bling, bling, for must have CW's at any price by us sicko's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) First is was the $50.00 Saratoga roof now @ $1,000.00 bucks & now the priceless "rear fog lamp" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Let me see, I've got a trunk rack, Saratoga roof, Rear fog lamp, now all I need is a 3.6 6er motor. When will the madness end??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Tom
BTW: I'll be a hit on Woodward Ave during the Woodward cruise this August. I will stay out of Detroit trucking this kind of bling, bling.

Not unless you put some decent 20's on that bad boy! And, convert that uselss rear trunk to e good quality boom hole.
Pat
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 2 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #20

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 06:45 PM) *

Keep the trunk rack Gomer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

I am not done with that trunk rack. I asked the wife to make me a dried cane weaved picnic basket to fit the trunk rack so I can carry (4) bottles of "Two Buck Charlie Wine" when I visit Gary's house to look at his 914-6 tool kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

T
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 04:00 PM