Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rear Fog Lamp Installation with details & Photo's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I just finished drilling (2) 6mm holes & (1) 3mm hole in by trunk to mount my "Rear Fog Light" factory accessory. I like it, makes my car different from all the others. pray.gif

Here's a few pictures to show details of the U.S.A. issue rear fog lamp I installed. I got a Euro fog lamp assembly from Gustl (thanks Gustl-aka-Wolfgang) & put everything together using the satin black U.S. housing with the Euro lens because I thought it looked better. One of the brackets to mount is still available from Porsche, but the exterior bracket is NLA. The exterior bracket I got from Gustl was a surprise, it's made of stainless steel.

I'll post a number of photo's in a few days showing lots of details & differences. popcorn[1].gif Hope you guys enjoy.

Tom
BTW Pat: I measured a lot before drilling the holes.
TJB/914
Here's a few more photo's of the brackets. The one that goes in the trunk is still available from Porsche & it's a no brainer locating the holes.

Note, the U.S. spec housing is satin black & the Euro housing I got from Gusts was chromed. I wonder why??

Tom
TJB/914
Differences inside the U.S. & Euro housings

Tom
TJB/914
Lens are different. I like the Euro lens & that's what I used.

Tom
Johny Blackstain
So update your damned avatar biggrin.gif ! Looks nice thumb3d.gif , something to think about for the six.

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
Nice tidy installation. I presume that there is a factory spec switch, similar to the front fog light switch that activates it, or is it wired so the rear light is illuminated when the front fogs are turned on?

Unique, distinctive and factory! piratenanner.gif

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 30 2007, 03:06 PM) *

Tom,
Nice tidy installation. I presume that there is a factory spec switch, similar to the front fog light switch that activates it, or is it wired so the rear light is illuminated when the front fogs are turned on?

Unique, distinctive and factory! piratenanner.gif

Paul

Hi Paul,

I haven't got to that yet & need to know how to wire up the switch. For now the wire is curled up in the trunk waiting for the above info. Anybody know the answer??

Tom
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
I'd guess that a European wiring diagram might show how the rear fog is wired.

I would also presume that the bulb used in that application would be of higher wattage than the t/l bulbs, yes?

Paul
Gustl
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 30 2007, 11:00 PM) *
Note, the U.S. spec housing is satin black & the Euro housing I got from Gustls was chromed. I wonder why??

maybe it has to do something with the model year?
or they used the different versions for cars with black bumpers vs. cars with chrome bumpers confused24.gif

anyhow - nice work, Tom clap56.gif
I'm happy it worked out well for you
your car is a much better place than my cellar, for this rear fog light biggrin.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 30 2007, 07:18 PM) *

I would also presume that the bulb used in that application would be of higher wattage than the t/l bulbs, yes?

Paul

agree.gif & would use a US bulb if possible to keep any heat from the electrical current down, just to be safe.

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
Allright! You had to know this was coming Tom.

You have this nice, tidy installation of a rear fog - with the wiring laying in the trunk? YOU DRILLED HOLES in your 914 for something that may, or may not work? Holes that will have to be leaded in if this scheme doesn't work - and repainted. For a rear fog light?

Well then, I'll have to say that it's pretty cool (assuming you can wire it in "per fatory"). If not, your 914 is ruined, though I'd "help" you find a buyer who wants extraneous holes in a 914 - think I know one close by, though the yellow color could be a problem.

Pat

ps - nice job - neat thing. And, you know I'm only kidding, except for the yellow color!
Jasfsmith
Tom:

You missed the rubber gromet that the lead to the light goes thru. Also my bracket was not stainless, nor the hex bolts that go through the rear panel.

I've been trying to trace the circuit to the front (it has a separate switch) without any sucess. I have the German factory manuals and it has little to offer. I'm being to think it was a dealer installed option.

BTW, my 914-6 is an Euro version. Chrome housing, rounded edge (though with a couple of chips) rather than the current version available that overlaps the housing. Headlights have to be on (low beam) for the switch to be active. It is not tied to the driving light switch (no fogs on the Euro model).
Eric_Shea
Excellent Tom smilie_pokal.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 1 2007, 12:29 AM) *

Excellent Tom smilie_pokal.gif

To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean. <grin>
914Mike
The Famous "Lost Warehouse" sale a few years back included the factory rear fog wiring harness. I bought one from George at that time, so I can describe it for you. It consists of two wires in a sleeve at the light, the brown wire has a ring about halfway along the length, it connected to the ground post under the relay board. From the light it joins the rear harness in the metal tabs, up and over the wheel arch, through the slot at the front of the trunk. The other wire, (sorry, I'll have to edit in the color, as it's on my other car) goes into the tunnel via the rubber boot from the engine shelf to the lower firewall. beerchug.gif After that it will go to the foglight relay, I guess, not sure how it would go to be "Per Fatory". (I used it for a trunk solenoid, so ended it at my custom console.) Pretty sure it has sleeving all the way, but can't remember offhand.
Eric_Shea
To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean.

Pat can't "handle" a rear fog light. Son, we live in a world that has rear fog lights. And those fog lights have to be guarded by men with award winning cars. Who's gonna do it? Pat? Pat Garvey? Tom has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Tom and you curse the rear fog light. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Tom's newfound rust holes, while tragic, probably helped others win awards. And the rear fog lights existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins trophy's...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want a rear fog light. You need a rear fog light. blink.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 05:16 PM) *

To bad Pat doesn't have a rear fog light. Would have been one more thing for him to clean.

Pat can't "handle" a rear fog light. Son, we live in a world that has rear fog lights. And those fog lights have to be guarded by men with award winning cars. Who's gonna do it? Pat? Pat Garvey? Tom has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Tom and you curse the rear fog light. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what we know: that Tom's newfound rust holes, while tragic, probably helped others win awards. And the rear fog lights existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins trophy's...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want a rear fog light. You need a rear fog light. blink.gif

Eric, you guys crack me up w00t.gif

I have created another unattainable accessory bling, bling, for must have CW's at any price by us sicko's popcorn[1].gif First is was the $50.00 Saratoga roof now @ $1,000.00 bucks & now the priceless "rear fog lamp" rolleyes.gif
Let me see, I've got a trunk rack, Saratoga roof, Rear fog lamp, now all I need is a 3.6 6er motor. When will the madness end??? rocking nana.gif

Tom
BTW: I'll be a hit on Woodward Ave during the Woodward cruise this August. I will stay out of Detroit trucking this kind of bling, bling.
Eric_Shea
Keep the trunk rack Gomer w00t.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 2 2007, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 05:16 PM) *

Eric, you guys crack me up w00t.gif

I have created another unattainable accessory bling, bling, for must have CW's at any price by us sicko's popcorn[1].gif First is was the $50.00 Saratoga roof now @ $1,000.00 bucks & now the priceless "rear fog lamp" rolleyes.gif
Let me see, I've got a trunk rack, Saratoga roof, Rear fog lamp, now all I need is a 3.6 6er motor. When will the madness end??? rocking nana.gif

Tom
BTW: I'll be a hit on Woodward Ave during the Woodward cruise this August. I will stay out of Detroit trucking this kind of bling, bling.

Not unless you put some decent 20's on that bad boy! And, convert that uselss rear trunk to e good quality boom hole.
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 06:45 PM) *

I am not done with that trunk rack. I asked the wife to make me a dried cane weaved picnic basket to fit the trunk rack so I can carry (4) bottles of "Two Buck Charlie Wine" when I visit Gary's house to look at his 914-6 tool kit. thumb3d.gif

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 07:16 PM) *

I, uh am, uh, speechless. As much as I'd like to repond to this slam....I can't. Eric, you are the Master (capital M) of slam here. I just have no sarcastic response........other than to wait another 20 years for Tom's rear panel to rust & say "I told you so". But I'll be 80 then. Which isn't all bad. I've always wanted to have impunity when I stumble through the malls with my walker, farting at will, & pinching young girls butts. Everyone will say "he can't help himself - he's old". Then I'll drive away in my '72 914, go home & have 4 ounces of Jack Daniel's. Yeah, life can be sweet at any age!
Eric_Shea
Dirty old man... I think the boys were asking for a picture in another thread biggrin.gif

wink.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 2 2007, 11:01 PM) *

I, uh am, uh, speechless.

There's a first. <grin>
Eric_Shea
I can carry (4) bottles of "Two Buck Charlie Wine"

You can't get Two-Buck Chuck in Michigan... silly boy.

Gary has a 914-6? confused24.gif
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 3 2007, 02:53 PM) *

I can carry (4) bottles of "Two Buck Charlie Wine"

You can't get Two-Buck Chuck in Michigan... silly boy.

Gary has a 914-6? confused24.gif

Why would you think I don't have a Six????? Must be old age.

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I've never seen steel wheels on a six before... you'd never know she was a six from that shot. Clean little babe; looks like a brochure photo thumb3d.gif .

cool_shades.gif
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 3 2007, 05:22 PM) *

I've never seen steel wheels on a six before... you'd never know she was a six from that shot. Clean little babe; looks like a brochure photo thumb3d.gif .

cool_shades.gif

Johny thank you. She won 2nd at parade in 05. Those are the wheels that came on her from the factory. Tire size now 205/65/15 But we do have fuchs for her also 14 and 15's.
914Mike
cool_shades.gif Here's a few pics of the "fatory" rear fog wire that I got from AA. It's been in my '74 for 9 years or so , originally put in to pop the trunk solenoid.

1) The rear connectors are obviously NOT original, I'm not sure how they connect to the actual fog light, I seem to remember stripped and tinned ends like the front fogs....

2) The front end IS original, and even though I used it on the console, it still has about 4 feet of wire measured from the front of the shifter, probably enough to reach the foglight switch or relay.

3) The split under the relay board has about 12 inches of brown wire ending in a 6mm brass ring for the ground post on the sidewall.

Oh, and the wire color is White with a straight Green stripe, good luck finding that without calling AA! (Who knows, George may still have one!) smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
Why would you think I don't have a Six????? Must be old

Joking ya old fart. Love the Golden Gate bridge in the background! biggrin.gif

Mike... excellent pics. You should get that info to Bowlsby so he can re-mfg. the harness.

Yes? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 2 2007, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 2 2007, 06:45 PM) *

I am not done with that trunk rack. I asked the wife to make me a dried cane weaved picnic basket to fit the trunk rack so I can carry (4) bottles of "Two Buck Charlie Wine" when I visit Gary's house to look at his 914-6 tool kit. thumb3d.gif

T

Tom,
Two Buck Charlie can't hold a candle to "Fat Bastard". It ranks right down there with Mad Dog, though with a slight "nasal" of......sewage!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 3 2007, 07:22 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

Al,
Count the cooling slots. These are very different from a four. Not all that rare, though, in my personal opinion, they are SO period for a six.

Classic, period car.
Pat
Eric_Shea
Not all that rare

They are if you're looking for the "70" stamping on the back... guys are fight'n over them now.

Has anyone talked to Bowlsby about doing a harness?
Eric_Shea
Jeff PM'd me about the factory harness. He said it seems like it would be pretty easy to make if he had one... couple of wires. Mike? Anyone? Can someone just take pictures and detailed measurements? Mike, if you sent it in you might get the proper ends put back on! wink.gif

Thoughts? I think it would be cool to have.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 9 2007, 07:04 PM) *

Jeff PM'd me about the factory harness. He said it seems like it would be pretty easy to make if he had one... couple of wires. Mike? Anyone? Can someone just take pictures and detailed measurements? Mike, if you sent it in you might get the proper ends put back on! wink.gif

Thoughts? I think it would be cool to have.

Hi Eric,

I just sent you an e-mail reply with what I am sending. Give me a few more days to gather things up.

Sure would be nice if someone comes up with the repo wiring harness. pray.gif

Tom
Eric_Shea
Mike and Jeff... Please make us a couple harnesses hands.gif
JeffBowlsby
Send me one to look over and I will see if I can duplicate it.

biggrin.gif
orthobiz
I've tried to go through the various rear fog light threads and I must have missed the part about whether this was actually ever a US option. Could someone address this, please?

Paul
Eric_Shea
Send me one to look over and I will see if I can duplicate it.

Well... I do believe Mike Scott be in your homey town??? confused24.gif

He's the only guy I know that has one (and he needs the ends repaired... kill two birds with one stone?)
JeffBowlsby
I have met Mike, but dont know how to contact him. Have him contact me?
Eric_Shea
Post #28, meet post #39 biggrin.gif

Mike, are you out there? Does any of this interest you? Care to PM Jeff?

E.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 19 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Post #28, meet post #39 biggrin.gif

Mike, are you out there? Does any of this interest you? Care to PM Jeff?

E.

Calling Mike, we need your help. pray.gif

I drilled holes, installed mine. I'd rather have a madeup wire harness than one I do myself.

Tom
BTW Eric: Did you receive my spares?
Pat Garvey
OK, I'm not going to comment on how these look on a 914, but this IS an originality forum - right?

Orthobiz asked whether these were ever available as a US option on 914's. That's a valid question!

Until recently, I'd only seen one of these before, on a Canadian 914.

I see it as a "part" in the manual, but can't determine if it was ever available to the US market. I suspect not, given the lighting restrictions of the 70's.

Can we address this issue?

Was it "legal" for a US 914, or not?
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 06:35 PM) *

OK, I'm not going to comment on how these look on a 914, but this IS an originality forum - right?

Orthobiz asked whether these were ever available as a US option on 914's. That's a valid question!

I see it as a "part" in the manual, but can't determine if it was ever available to the US market. I suspect not, given the lighting restrictions of the 70's.

Pat

Hi Pat.

My opinion on this subject is it's in the Porsche parts book with Porsche part #'s.
I rest my case.

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 07:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

My opinion on this subject is it's in the Porsche parts book with Porsche part #'s.
I rest my case.

Tom

Forgot to add this info.

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

I rest my case.

Tom

Tom,
Point taken. But French & Italian lights are in the book too, but they weren't legal in the States during the 70's. They also were not original equipment in the US during the 70's.
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

I rest my case.

Tom

Tom,
Point taken. But French & Italian lights are in the book too, but they weren't legal in the States during the 70's. They also were not original equipment in the US during the 70's.
Pat

Pat,

I would agrue the point that French & Italian lights are a seperate issue due to specific traffic light laws in these country's. There is no mention of any French/Italian "rear fog lamps" only "rear fog lamps" in every parts manual by Porsche. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
Eric_Shea
BTW Eric: Did you receive my spares?

Oh yeah... I made that clear in another post sorry. You're my hero! pray.gif
hcdmueller
This is a great thread. Anybody have a factory fog lamp they are willing to sell? I am in Germany and probably will be back in England in the next year. I would love to have one of these for my car. If I have to have a fog lamp it might as well be a factory setup.
orthobiz
OK. I'm ignorant. I just don't get it but would appreciate it if someone could tell me what exactly the rear fog light does. Does it make it easier for other cars not to run into me during a fog? Does it give me additional illlumination when I'm driving my car backwards in the fog? What does it do and why would I want one. Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kinda things?

OK, I'll shut up now...

Paul
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 10:35 PM) *

Pat

Front my morning of research, As or April 2003, the use of a rear fog lamp is currently unregulated at the Federal (US) level, but regulated at the state level (few, and with differing requirements). No surprise.

Most of the Europe and Australia have regulations controlling number, location, intensity, and color.

My US factory workshop manual and wiring diagrams do not mention/show a rear fog light. My German factory workshop manual do not show a rear fog light either, however the German wiring diagram does show a circuit (NebelschluBlicht-Sonderwunsch, #88) that I believe is for the rear fog.

Intrestingly, the German factory manual goes on at length to show a gas heater installation.

The factory manual clearly shows a rear fog light as being available though with the "M" symbol as "Additional equipment and reduced equipment".

Only "old" photos showing a rear fog are those in European magazines or with European plates.

From what I've found, it leads me to believe that rear fogs were not offered as an option outside of Europe, and even then it was a dealer installed option.

By no means definitive though I'd like to see what others find in their research.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.