Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rear Fog Lamp Installation with details & Photo's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
eg914
Eric,

Let me know how much for the bracket/shipping, and your preferred method of payment. Thanks for the effort on your part.

Bill
davep
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 8 2007, 08:28 AM) *

Metal shop called yesterday. 3 rear brackets are done.

Any update on when they will be ready to ship?
Eric_Shea
no... got them back and they decided not to have the holes line up....3rd *%^$&%#%$# time is a charm dry.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 18 2008, 09:40 PM) *

no... got them back and they decided not to have the holes line up....3rd *%^$&%#%$# time is a charm dry.gif

Hi Eric,

What the latest update?? poke.gif

Don't lose my bracket because I have (3) holes in my rear panel to fill.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 8 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Hi Eric,

Tom

Holes!? Omigod! It's, it's sacriligeous! Next, you'll be putting on those grotesque mudflaps & drilling more holes. You're Mother would be so ashamed!!!!!
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 13 2008, 06:13 PM) *

Hi Eric,

Tom

Holes!? Omigod! It's, it's sacriligeous! Next, you'll be putting on those grotesque mudflaps & drilling more holes. You're Mother would be so ashamed!!!!!
Pat

Hi Pat & 914 gang.

Thanks for the poke in the eye about the (3) holes in my rear panel. I've been a little quiet lately with a busy schedule & getting over a bad case of the flue. Hopefully things will quiet down so I can do more on the site. Keep the fires burning & I'll get back to normal as soon as I can.

Your 914 buddy.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 15 2008, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 13 2008, 06:13 PM) *

Hi Eric,

Tom

Pat

Hi Pat & 914 gang.

Thanks for the poke in the eye about the (3) holes in my rear panel. I've been a little quiet lately with a busy schedule & getting over a bad case of the flue. Hopefully things will quiet down so I can do more on the site. Keep the fires burning & I'll get back to normal as soon as I can.

Your 914 buddy.

Tom

Tom,

Hope you're feeling better soon, so we can get back to slamming!
Pat
Eric_Shea
3 little holes win big awards... especially if the car is equipped from the Nords. bootyshake.gif
Eric_Shea
Da-da-da-Done!

Tom, PM me an address to ship it back to (not sure if you've opened up the "Summer" home yet). biggrin.gif

Damn, it only took 4 tries at the metal shop! headbang.gif

Pat... we didn't make any extras for ya buddy. Sorry. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
In case you didn't see them in the Garage...

Click to view attachment

Bill? Dave?
davep
Thanks for the peek. Can't wait to see mine delivered. Please send an invoice.

Dave
eg914
Sent you a PM.

Those are be-u-tee-ful
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2008, 05:58 PM) *

Da-da-da-Done!

Tom, PM me an address to ship it back to (not sure if you've opened up the "Summer" home yet). biggrin.gif

Damn, it only took 4 tries at the metal shop! headbang.gif

Pat... we didn't make any extras for ya buddy. Sorry. sad.gif

yeh, yeh!
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Anyone still interested in the harness for this? Mike Scott let me borrow the OEM harness he had, I can make a short run of them if there is enough interest.

Who wants one?
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 30 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Anyone still interested in the harness for this? Mike Scott let me borrow the OEM harness he had, I can make a short run of them if there is enough interest.

Who wants one?

Jeff,

Me, me, I want one.

Tom

FYI: If I had to guess, I would say you will get about (6) yes reply's. Interest will continue to grow. popcorn[1].gif
davep
Yes, I'll need one thanks.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 31 2008, 12:09 AM) *

Who wants one?

Jeff:

Put me on the list for one.

I might just like to put a rear fog on my 914-4 just to be able to razz Pat some more.
Eric_Shea
Add me to the list...
JeffBowlsby
Four so far. Any more?

To get the color coding correct, one of the wires is a special order so the more who want one, the price will come down for everyone.
davep
Eric, how many brackets did you make up?
Eric_Shea
davep
Then I guess there is only a market for four harnesses until and unless you make up more brackets. Everything else is available at the present time. Perhaps once a few cars are completed and the results shown we might get more interest. We still have to ensure that we know exactly how to install everything. There are, what, two cars that we know of with factory installed lights?
TJB/914
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 2 2008, 05:12 AM) *

Then I guess there is only a market for four harnesses until and unless you make up more brackets. Everything else is available at the present time. Perhaps once a few cars are completed and the results shown we might get more interest. We still have to ensure that we know exactly how to install everything. There are, what, two cars that we know of with factory installed lights?

I was hoping to see a committment of (6) harnesses for Jeff. I am sure this accessory will grow in demand as interest develops.

Tom
Eric_Shea
Well as this winds down I can tell you the problem is the unobtainable bracket. I spent a couple hundred bucks back and forth getting it right. I'm confident that now that we have a pattern and these guys know the holes are critical it would go smoother but... that definately stalls things.

Inner bracket - Special Order, available
Outer bracket - NLA
Light - Special order 911 part, available
Harness - Pending but if Jeff makes it it will be as good as the original

While it is a cool factory accessory, it will take some coin that most 914 owners aren't willing to readily spend.

I really love the way this has played out. Even Pat should be proud of the detail work that went in to making it "right".
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2008, 09:35 AM) *

Well as this winds down I can tell you the problem is the unobtainable bracket. I spent a couple hundred bucks back and forth getting it right. I'm confident that now that we have a pattern and these guys know the holes are critical it would go smoother but... that definately stalls things.

Outer bracket - NLA

While it is a cool factory accessory, it will take some coin that most 914 owners aren't willing to readily spend.

I really love the way this has played out. Even Pat should be proud of the detail work that went in to making it "right".

Jeff,

I got my orig. bracket back today.

Good review of available parts. I suggest any one interested should order the Inner bracket. It comes out of Germany, they are only about $4.00 bucks, but shipping runs about $20.00 plus for one or more. I got an extra one because of shipping costs. My spare is going to be Pat's birthday gift when he becomes a senior citizen. stirthepot.gif

Factory accessory's are fun to collect & makes your 914 stand out during judging.

Tom
davep

Well as this winds down I can tell you the problem is the unobtainable bracket.

I agree fully on the bracket.
The light I found was stocked at Pelican, but the bulb is a separate part and must be added to the order.
They can also get the inner bracket, but be aware of the extra charge to get it from Germany.

Someone COULD get Eric to make a supply of outer brackets, get Jeff to make some harnesses, and order the remaining parts from Pelican to make up a complete kit. I cannot afford to do so at this time, but I think that with a bit of marketing perhaps up to 10 kits could be sold. Maybe George at AA might be interested enough to invest in some kits. IF these kits could be assembled, THEN the cost of development borne by Eric and Jeff could be spread a little thinner than over just 3 pieces.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 2 2008, 12:20 PM) *

Outer bracket - NLA

Jeff,

I got my orig. bracket back today.

Good review of available parts. I suggest any one interested should order the Inner bracket. It comes out of Germany, they are only about $4.00 bucks, but shipping runs about $20.00 plus for one or more. I got an extra one because of shipping costs. My spare is going to be Pat's birthday gift when he becomes a senior citizen. stirthepot.gif

Factory accessory's are fun to collect & makes your 914 stand out during judging.

Tom

Tom,

Gee, thanks for the thought! But....that would mean I'd have to "drill". Oh, the horror!

Besides, and no slam intended, it looks like a pimple on the butt of a 914!

Sorry & no intentional negatives, but it just looks wrong.

Then again, I'm going back to chrome wheels & fat tires. So, who am I to to comment?
Pat
eg914
Jeff,

Do you have a feel for the cost of the harnesses? If you add one more for me?
My car is NOT show car material, but rather a daily driver. I wanted the rear fog light for my own peace of mind on those foggy mornings. Whether I would buy the harness will be a balance of cost vs. convenience (sorry I am cheap, but in your favor I am also VERY lazy).

Thanks
Eric_Shea
no intentional negatives, but it just looks wrong

Sounds like a 914 to me... lol3.gif

Perfect fit!
JeffBowlsby
Here are the rear foglight harness details:

Mike Scott kindly lent me his OEM rear fog harness as a guide. There are two wires, a brown and white/green stripe, with terminations, in a durable casing. Its the longest casing I have ever had to stuff thin flexible wires through, but I think I have a couple ideas that should work. All the parts are obtainable and most of them I use in the other harnesses anyway so when I buy in bulk, I can use these items on my other harnesses and save costs for everyone. The completed harness will look and perform as good as or better than OEM. The one special item is the white green stripe wire and it is special order with a 1000 LF minimum. Ouch. Each harness only needs about 20 feet of this wire...so I will have a bunch left over, with no other use in sight, it is the biggest cost of this harness. Amortizing these costs here is the cost per harness, turnkey, not including shipping to you which is just charged at cost:

$110 each = 4 harnesses for Dave, Tom, Eric and JASFSMITH
$97 each = 6 harnesses
$86 each = 10 or more harnesses

The best way to make this happen would be for someone to step up and buy all the components for a run of complete rear fogs and package them as a kit. Ebay buyers would go nutz and there would be rear fogs on every 914 from coast to coast...Still need to figure out the switching condition.

Paypal or other payment accepted, I would plan to do a run on the harnesses and build them all at the same time with a group order, but its not essential. Please confirm your interest.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 3 2008, 01:16 PM) *

Here are the rear foglight harness details:

Mike Scott kindly lent me his OEM rear fog harness as a guide. There are two wires, a brown and white/green stripe, with terminations, in a durable casing. Its the longest casing I have ever had to stuff thin flexible wires through, but I think I have a couple ideas that should work. All the parts are obtainable and most of them I use in the other harnesses anyway so when I buy in bulk, I can use these items on my other harnesses and save costs for everyone. The completed harness will look and perform as good as or better than OEM. The one special item is the white green stripe wire and it is special order with a 1000 LF minimum. Ouch. Each harness only needs about 20 feet of this wire...so I will have a bunch left over, with no other use in sight, it is the biggest cost of this harness. Amortizing these costs here is the cost per harness, turnkey, not including shipping to you which is just charged at cost:

$110 each = 4 harnesses for Dave, Tom, Eric and JASFSMITH
$97 each = 6 harnesses
$86 each = 10 or more harnesses

The best way to make this happen would be for someone to step up and buy all the components for a run of complete rear fogs and package them as a kit. Ebay buyers would go nutz and there would be rear fogs on every 914 from coast to coast...Still need to figure out the switching condition.

Paypal or other payment accepted, I would plan to do a run on the harnesses and build them all at the same time with a group order, but its not essential. Please confirm your interest.

Jeff,

I am in as soon as it's final & I'll send the money when you set the final price.

Thanks for performing this service.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 2 2008, 11:35 AM) *

Outer bracket - NLA

That I am! Pimple on the butt & all, you guys are driven!

Not for me, but righteous!

Pat
Eric_Shea
Ouch. Each harness only needs about 20 feet of this wire...so I will have a bunch left over, with no other use in sight, it is the biggest cost of this harness.

Ouch is right... ohmy.gif

I guess I'm in but that's 23% of my oil hard line budget. smile.gif

Question: Is this listed on the factory schematics? What I'm getting at is; Is there another wire, say green with a white stripe that would work and be acceptable? Just opening the floor for options, if others want to get the white with green etc. I'll be a part of the buy.

$6.00 per foot is hard to swallow... sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 5 2008, 06:15 PM) *

Ouch. Each harness only needs about 20 feet of this wire...so I will have a bunch left over, with no other use in sight, it is the biggest cost of this harness.

Ouch is right... ohmy.gif

I guess I'm in but that's 23% of my oil hard line budget. smile.gif

Question: Is this listed on the factory schematics? What I'm getting at is; Is there another wire, say green with a white stripe that would work and be acceptable? Just opening the floor for options, if others want to get the white with green etc. I'll be a part of the buy.

$6.00 per foot is hard to swallow... sad.gif

Well, let's see! You'll have, what, 1-2 visible inches of the wire (please correct me if I'm wrong). Other than "you four", who will know the difference in the wire striping? I wouldn't!

Oh, I forgot - there's the "originality" factor. Except for jafsmith's Swiss car, I don't understand!? Wait, I don't understand that either, since it should be part of the COA or CARDEX info for the car.

What am I missing here??????

Pat
eg914
Jeff,

Sorry to all involved, but I am going to pass on the wire harness. $100 +or- is about 3 weeks of gas for my commute. If I was putting the rear fog on a show car I would be in. The CSOB in me is winning out on this one.
JeffBowlsby
I had focused on the idea that the color coding was important...maybe its not. Pats right, you wouldn't see much of it, it is all in casing except the ends for connections.

Would there be greater interest if it was just a white wire, no stripe...to save some moola?

With a 4 harness minimum commitment, I could make them for $87 ea. to break even (even the white/no stripe wire is not something I normally use, its a larger gage, but I don't have to get 1000LF of it for the special striping).

LMK.
Eric_Shea
Can you splice in the 4" of white/green I have? biggrin.gif

I don't care about the colors. wink.gif
davep
I guess I'll side with Eric. Plain white wire would be suitable. We could draw our own green lines if we wanted I suppose.
TJB/914
Jeff & others,

I am in for whatever is decided.

Thanks Jeff for everything. beerchug.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
You are making the right decision! Reduce the cost!
Originality, as mych as I love it, an be absurdly expensive. Not only that, it WILL be lost on the future generations of owners.

Have your fun. Defy anyone to judge its oriinality. It's a rear fog for Christ's sake!

You know that i don't care for it, but I most certainly appreciate what you guys have done to make this work.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 5 2008, 09:04 PM) *

Oh, I forgot - there's the "originality" factor. Except for jafsmith's Swiss car, I don't understand!? Wait, I don't understand that either, since it should be part of the COA or CARDEX info for the car.

What am I missing here??????

Pat

Fog light does not appear on my COA. I suspect it was a dealer applied option.
Pat Garvey
OK, just a thought here....

The rear fog is "cute"(well, that MAY be a stretch), but unbalanced.

Why is it only applied to the drivers side?

What if you had one on each side? Your visibility would be enhanced 50%! You'd only have to drill a few other holes & I'm certain the wiring change would be pretty simple. Oh, wouldn't be Factory? Sorry, but who cares! Drill those holes....be unique.

Oh, and it makes the rear of the car SO much easier to clean.
davep
I understand a package arrived from Utah today.
JeffBowlsby
So just taking the pulse on the fog light harnesses. It looks like the project is dead from sticker shock? Everyone ok with figuring it out for themselves?
Eric_Shea
I believe Dave, Tom and myself stated we were in. Only Bill bailed due to sticker shock.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 21 2008, 05:05 PM) *

I believe Dave, Tom and myself stated we were in. Only Bill bailed due to sticker shock.

Jeff,

Yes, I am in. As soon as you give me a price I'll pre-pay with a check in the mail. flag.gif

Tom
JeffBowlsby
Ok, so this looks like a limited run of 3 of the rear foglight harnesses.

With just the three, the total comes to $93 ea + shipping. Call it $100. even total with shipping and we are good. Will PM each of you to confirm and with payment details.

Yay! flag.gif
Cal
Reviving an old thread.....

I had one of these on the rear of my '67 911 and loved the look.

I've got a NOS light that I'm considering mounting....who's got the mounting brackets and wiring harness?

wes
I have had the light for sometime new in the box and have thought about using it on my car but didn't have much of an idea as to how it was installed and not realy wanting to add new holes in my newly painted body only to find it all wrong. This is the first time Ive noticed this thread (a bit late I'd guess) but would certainly be up for the wire harness and bracket if still possible.
raynekat
I've got an original light, dash switch and wiring harness.
Made up a crude 1st attempt at the inner mount myself....I'll make a nicer version as I go along out of stainless steel.

The biggie is the outer bracket.
Eric only made up 3 of these brackets way back when.

Wonder if there is a growing group of people who would want to purchase one if Eric could get them made again?
I'm in for one definitely if that were to ever happen...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.