Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Rear Fog Lamp Installation with details & Photo's, Only winning cars have them, BLing, Bling.
TJB/914
post Aug 19 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #41

Mid-Engn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 19 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Post #28, meet post #39 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mike, are you out there? Does any of this interest you? Care to PM Jeff?

E.

Calling Mike, we need your help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I drilled holes, installed mine. I'd rather have a madeup wire harness than one I do myself.

Tom
BTW Eric: Did you receive my spares?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 19 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #42

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

OK, I'm not going to comment on how these look on a 914, but this IS an originality forum - right?

Orthobiz asked whether these were ever available as a US option on 914's. That's a valid question!

Until recently, I'd only seen one of these before, on a Canadian 914.

I see it as a "part" in the manual, but can't determine if it was ever available to the US market. I suspect not, given the lighting restrictions of the 70's.

Can we address this issue?

Was it "legal" for a US 914, or not?
Pat
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #43

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 06:35 PM) *

OK, I'm not going to comment on how these look on a 914, but this IS an originality forum - right?

Orthobiz asked whether these were ever available as a US option on 914's. That's a valid question!

I see it as a "part" in the manual, but can't determine if it was ever available to the US market. I suspect not, given the lighting restrictions of the 70's.

Pat

Hi Pat.

My opinion on this subject is it's in the Porsche parts book with Porsche part #'s.
I rest my case.

Tom
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Aug 19 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #44

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 07:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

My opinion on this subject is it's in the Porsche parts book with Porsche part #'s.
I rest my case.

Tom

Forgot to add this info.

T

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 19 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

I rest my case.

Tom

Tom,
Point taken. But French & Italian lights are in the book too, but they weren't legal in the States during the 70's. They also were not original equipment in the US during the 70's.
Pat
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Aug 19 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #46

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat.

I rest my case.

Tom

Tom,
Point taken. But French & Italian lights are in the book too, but they weren't legal in the States during the 70's. They also were not original equipment in the US during the 70's.
Pat

Pat,

I would agrue the point that French & Italian lights are a seperate issue due to specific traffic light laws in these country's. There is no mention of any French/Italian "rear fog lamps" only "rear fog lamps" in every parts manual by Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 19 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #47

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

BTW Eric: Did you receive my spares?

Oh yeah... I made that clear in another post sorry. You're my hero! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Aug 20 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #48

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

This is a great thread. Anybody have a factory fog lamp they are willing to sell? I am in Germany and probably will be back in England in the next year. I would love to have one of these for my car. If I have to have a fog lamp it might as well be a factory setup.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Aug 20 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 7,438

OK. I'm ignorant. I just don't get it but would appreciate it if someone could tell me what exactly the rear fog light does. Does it make it easier for other cars not to run into me during a fog? Does it give me additional illlumination when I'm driving my car backwards in the fog? What does it do and why would I want one. Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kinda things?

OK, I'll shut up now...

Paul
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 20 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 19 2007, 10:35 PM) *

Pat

Front my morning of research, As or April 2003, the use of a rear fog lamp is currently unregulated at the Federal (US) level, but regulated at the state level (few, and with differing requirements). No surprise.

Most of the Europe and Australia have regulations controlling number, location, intensity, and color.

My US factory workshop manual and wiring diagrams do not mention/show a rear fog light. My German factory workshop manual do not show a rear fog light either, however the German wiring diagram does show a circuit (NebelschluBlicht-Sonderwunsch, #88) that I believe is for the rear fog.

Intrestingly, the German factory manual goes on at length to show a gas heater installation.

The factory manual clearly shows a rear fog light as being available though with the "M" symbol as "Additional equipment and reduced equipment".

Only "old" photos showing a rear fog are those in European magazines or with European plates.

From what I've found, it leads me to believe that rear fogs were not offered as an option outside of Europe, and even then it was a dealer installed option.

By no means definitive though I'd like to see what others find in their research.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 20 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 20 2007, 11:07 AM) *

OK. I'm ignorant. I just don't get it but would appreciate it if someone could tell me what exactly the rear fog light does. Does it make it easier for other cars not to run into me during a fog? Does it give me additional illlumination when I'm driving my car backwards in the fog? What does it do and why would I want one. Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" kinda things?

OK, I'll shut up now...

Paul

Used to illuminate your hindend better for cars approaching you from the rear during fog and other inclimate weather.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Aug 20 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #52

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

the rear fog light shines about 4 times brighter that the brake lights do

this is just a security thing, so that other drivers behind you can see you earlier in the fog or at heavy rain

at Austria it's forbidden to use it when the wheater is good

and ... you should want one because it's a rare option (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 20 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #53

I'm not from Missouri, but can someone "show me"/prove that this an available option in the states - on a 914, during the 70's?
Pat
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Aug 20 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #54

Mid-Engn.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 20 2007, 06:09 PM) *

I'm not from Missouri, but can someone "show me"/prove that this an available option in the states - on a 914, during the 70's?
Pat

Hi Pat,

Lets go at it this way. You prove to us it's not an option as you suspect. It's in the parts book & was recently available from Porsche untill it went NLA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

I suspect it was not a popular accessory back in the 70's if you lived in sunny CA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Now it's rare as hens teeth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 21 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #55

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The way I remember it it was a dealer option available on any Porsche back in the early 70s'. Very Euro & not popular in the states. I do remember seeing them on/for lots of 911s' & the occasional 914, however I never saw one on a 924 or a 928. This does not mean that they were not available on those cars.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 21 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #56

PMB Performance

however I never saw one on a 924 or a 928. This does not mean that they were not available on those cars.

It probably meant that; by that time they incorporated the rear fog into the taillight assembly. There's probably an empty bulb socket in there on the drivers side (all speculation based on the fact that new BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's all have this now incorporated into the light assembly) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 21 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #57

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2007, 02:32 PM) *

It probably meant that; by that time they incorporated the rear fog into the taillight assembly. There's probably an empty bulb socket in there on the drivers side (all speculation based on the fact that new BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's all have this now incorporated into the light assembly) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Scirocco II is very guilty of this- dremel out the US black plastic & plop the bulb in- instant "Euro".
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 21 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #58

PMB Performance

BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's all have this now incorporated into the light assembly

And again, this of course, is to give the driver of these luxury haunts additional illlumination while driving their car backwards in the fog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 21 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 21 2007, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2007, 02:32 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Scirocco II is very guilty of this- dremel out the US black plastic & plop the bulb in- instant "Euro".

Did that very thing with my '82 Scirocco. But, that was 1982.
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Aug 21 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #60

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 20 2007, 12:07 PM) *

OK, I'll shut up now...

Paul

When in Europe, as one drives the Autobahn at warp speed, in the fog, mist, or snow, it is required one have this lit on the rear of ones car, so approaching fellow Autobahn-stormers can see you and avoid a major rear-ender at triple digits.

On Euro spec cars, as seen on Ebay from time to time , you will see them on the backs of 928's especially. On the 924, 944 series, the brighter light goes in a portion of the driver, or LH side, tail lamp.

On some American spec cars, from Germany, such as our 200 Turbo Audi's, the rear fog light feature is actually integrated into the tail lamp system and has a factory dash switch employed on all the cars sent here.

I had never seen one on a teener, and , Sorry Tom, find it fits much like a saddle on a sow.
I wish my car had had it though, just simply because of its uniqueness and relative rarity. BUT, I would never threaten my tail panel of my lovely, now sitting in the garage cowering at the presence of this now new found "option". I will happily live without its presence appearing in all its obtrusiveness, not at all like the presence of the beauty mark on Cindy Crawford's left cheek.

BUT, if I ever locate one, I will be happy to leave it in its container, and simply admire its beauty in that form....................
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:54 PM