Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Rear Fog Lamp Installation with details & Photo's, Only winning cars have them, BLing, Bling.
orthobiz
post Aug 21 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 20 2007, 10:27 PM) *

You prove to us it's not an option as you suspect. Tom

Sounds like the French justice system: you're guilty, now prove your innocent! En garde!

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 21 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #62

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

One has to try to remeber that, in the early-mid 70's, automotive lighting allowances varied by stae in the US. Since this came up, I went searching through my 914 records because something in the back of my head was nagging at me.

Found this, though it has no relevance to the rear fog. Coming back from the '74 Pocono Parade, I was stopped and ticketed by a PA state trooper in Washington, Pa for illegal lights. I had replaced my sealed beams with H2's before going to the Parade. No gig at the Parade, but it cost me $27.50 later. For those who weren't there, or don't remeber, changing headlights to euro "fashion" lights was a no-no in many parts of the US. I knew it was against the law in Ohio & Kentucky, but never gave a thought to Pa. Paid the fine & put the sealed beams back on. They're still there today. H2's got put on my 911. They're still there today.

Means nothing to this discussion (I guess), other that to reiterate that lighting laws in the US were very stringent during that period.
Pat
+Quote Post
914-8
post Aug 21 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 21 2007, 04:18 PM) *

BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's all have this now incorporated into the light assembly

And again, this of course, is to give the driver of these luxury haunts additional illlumination while driving their car backwards in the fog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

actually, on all of the bright, clear, well-lit So Cal roads, it allows those drivers to use the rear fogs with the front fogs for full 360 degree blazing annoying "look at me, I'm cool!!!" coverage.
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 22 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 19 2007, 06:24 PM) *

Post #28, meet post #39 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Mike, are you out there? Does any of this interest you? Care to PM Jeff?

E.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
I'm here!

Been busy, but I had time today to check in...

And to remove the rear foglight harness from my '74. (I won't be needing it for the EV conversion, and the rear solenoid I was using it for died a long time ago!)

Any get-togethers coming up? 9:14 Breakfast at IHOP? Anything? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) I'd prefer handing this to Jeff in person...

Here's a few pics of it stretched out for those that can't wait:

Oh, and I'm almost positive that the wires were just stripped and tinned at the back end, one still had the solder on it when I "Un-crimped" the connector.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 22 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #65

More pics:

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 22 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #66

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Wow! Way cool. Am I reading this right? 233" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Where does this thing route?

Thanks Mike.

I hope you and Jeff can hook up. Seems like a simple one but, I don't harnesses, Jeff does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Aug 25 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #67

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 22 2007, 06:46 PM) *

Wow! Way cool. Am I reading this right? 233" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Where does this thing route?

Thanks Mike.

I hope you and Jeff can hook up. Seems like a simple one but, I don't harnesses, Jeff does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Yup, 233" total for the white/green wire. It follows the rear harness around the trunk, over the wheel arch and down into the left "pit" where the ground is tied under the relay board. From there it joins the main harness across the firewall, down through the rubber tube and into the tunnel. So I'm guessing there is enough length to follow the wires along the top of the tunnel and up into the dash somehow. It must connect to the fuse block or the foglight switch, so it's probably just the right length for either of those. Luckily, I did not want to cut the nice insulated connector off the front end when I wired it to a pushbutton on my console, been coiled up in there for quite some time... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) With all the mods I'm doing now, I'm sure I don't need it, so Hopefully Jeff will be able to find the proper wire color and sleeving to make you all some nice repros... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Nov 2 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #68

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

is your car ORIGANALLY euro rear lights. i'm interested in switching to euro's. what is different about the wiring if anything?... it's acured to me the outer orange SHOULDN'T come on for brakes, just turn signal... right?... thats the way it is on newer euro vrs. u.s. spec.ed cars

i've found no answers yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
type4org
post Nov 3 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #69

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(orange914 @ Nov 2 2007, 11:35 PM) *

is your car ORIGANALLY euro rear lights. i'm interested in switching to euro's. what is different about the wiring if anything?... it's acured to me the outer orange SHOULDN'T come on for brakes, just turn signal... right?... thats the way it is on newer euro vrs. u.s. spec.ed cars

Nothing is different in the wiring. For me, switching to Euro lenses on my '76 when I moved back to Germany was a matter of popping the red lenses off and the Euro lenses on.

By the way, the amber lights have never been used for brake light functionality in Europe. They're only ever used for turn signals.

+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 3 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #70

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I now have my lamp and inside bracket.
Eric, has the outside bracket been completed yet?
Jeff, have you started making harnesses yet?

Did we lose posts from Sept & Oct? Where are the posts regarding the brackets Eric was making?
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Nov 3 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #71

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 3 2007, 07:09 AM) *

Did we lose posts from Sept & Oct? Where are the posts regarding the brackets Eric was making?

Eric, Dave & Jeff,

Thanks for keeping this harness issue current. Hopefully our Jeff B can put one together.

Tom
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 3 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #72

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 3 2007, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 3 2007, 07:09 AM) *

Eric, Dave & Jeff,

Thanks for keeping this harness issue current. Hopefully our Jeff B can put one together.

Tom

Just so you'll know that I'm watching...

You'll all burn in hell for this abomination that won't show on your COA! Beg to be forgiven! Remove those things, weld the holes & repaint! Or is that repent!
Pat

You KNEW I couldn't shut up forever!
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 4 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #73

914 Historian

Well hey, I'll just fake up a window sticker for my car with all the extras that will be on it. Then I'll apply for my COA, and voila, I'll have proof. You know I'm just replacing parts that some DPO has previously removed, right?
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 4 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #74

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I haven't kept up with this thread...I will contact Mike to see when we can hook-up.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 7 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #75

914 Wiring Harnesses

I picked up the harness last night, I am sure it will not be a problem to fab these up. Thanks Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I do have some questions though:

1. the cockpit end is a 2.5mm male wire terminal, I am guessing it attaches to the fog light switch on the dash, can anyone verify before IO go tearing into my dash to confirm? Seem like an odd wire termional for that.

2. How does the harness attach to the fog light assembly? I assume it goes through rubber grommets in the tailpanel and foglight housing, but are both wires tinned and screwed down for the electrical connection or is there a terminal on each wire? I saw the photos in the early posts, they dont show the ground wire

The only challenge I see is fishing 20 feet of wiring through 20 feet of heat shrink tubing...
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Nov 7 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #76

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 7 2007, 02:11 PM) *

I picked up the harness last night, I am sure it will not be a problem to fab these up. Thanks Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I do have some questions though:

1. the cockpit end is a 2.5mm male wire terminal, I am guessing it attaches to the fog light switch on the dash, can anyone verify before IO go tearing into my dash to confirm? Seem like an odd wire termional for that.

2. How does the harness attach to the fog light assembly? I assume it goes through rubber grommets in the tailpanel and foglight housing, but are both wires tinned and screwed down for the electrical connection or is there a terminal on each wire? I saw the photos in the early posts, they dont show the ground wire

The only challenge I see is fishing 20 feet of wiring through 20 feet of heat shrink tubing...

Hi Jeff,

Put me on the list for a wire harness & let me know how much to send $___?

The connection wire into the housing was a short wire about 12" long that threads through the fog light housing then through a little grommett in the sheet metal into the trunk. I was just going to connect the wires at this location, but a simple wire connector would be great. Here's a photo of two fog light housings that might clear up the connection. The euro one (white/green) wire is similiar to the U.S. one that had the wire missing. Hope that helps, but this is just my guess.

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 8 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #77

914 Historian

I only took a quick look at my lamp assembly. Bulb was not included. It is the second version shown with the black screws and single base. There is a 1/4" male spade connector that I assume is for the +12VDC. I did not spot a ground connection so I will have to check on that. It may be grounded through the body of the housing.

I don't know how Eric is doing with the bracket yet.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 8 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #78

914 Wiring Harnesses

I looked at a fog light switch last night, its got 3 male tabs, so apparently the harness does not connect to the switch body, I will need to look at the fuse panel and foglight relay next for the connection.

The way I think the harness connects to the light fixture is that the white/green stripe wire goes through a grommet in the tailpanel, through the hollow mounting bolt of the fixture and into a hole/screwfitting inside the foglight. This wire is pretinned on the harness.

The ground wire would have an eyelet wire terminal and mount under one of the mounting bolt/screw for the bracket, inside the trunk. Please tell me the OD of this mounting bolt so I can get the right eyelet terminal. This creates a redundant ground because the ground wire at the foglight goes back to the ground lug under the relay plate, but it has to be this way unless there is a place to mount the ground wire inside the foglight assembly.

Anyone with a foglight assembly please confirm these wiring connections!

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 8 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #79

914 Historian

Here is the bulbholder from my lamp.
Brass 0.25" spade is riveted to the positive center contact.
There is no place to connect the ground lead, so it must be body grounded to the chassis. No need for a ground wire.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 9 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #80

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry, I've been away from this.

Dave, I have one extra bracket done. Not extremely happy with the angle right now but it's workable. I wouldn't mind having the original to fab off. If Tom's still OK with that then I would take orders off that concept. It's basically shaping up like this:

Light - Available from Porsche
Outer Bracket - Eric to fab
Inner Bracket - Available from Porsche
Harness - Jeff to fab

Jeff, the mounting bolts are your standard 6M variety.

Both of my light bases are the earlier pre-tinned wire types that Tom shows. One actually is the one Tom shows and the other is identical to Dave's new base but with a post and set screw standing where the rivet is attaching the spade in his picture. It seems fairly clear that the early lights have posts with set screws and the modern versions are spades. This makes an off the shelf harness solution difficult.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:32 AM