Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Involuntary heat-cycling, race tire in trunk
mskala
post Jul 1 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #1

R

Group: Members
Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Hey, like some of us, my spare is original (tubed 165) and doesn't hold air anyway, so I leave it at home and put on of my V710's in the rear trunk in case I need a spare.

I drive my car to work in the summer often, and that tire gets pretty warm in the trunk while out in the sun. It even smells like rubber when I open.

So, am I accidentally putting heat cycles on this tire and will it harden earlier than otherwise? Seeking wisdom of the tire gods. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jul 2 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

Not to mention the heat from the engine and exhaust. I wouldn't put any tiars that I cared about back there. There was a thread a while back about the proper care of tires. Storing them in a cool dry place in plastic bags. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 2 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

If you have SSI's and a Burschh or some sort of Exhaust you will certainly get the trunk over 140-150 degrees

Sitting in the trunk in the sun is also going to be pulling the "good" out of the rubber. Just buy a new tire for a spare. 35 bucks for a cheapy tire that hopefully you will never use.

My rear trunk is not as hot as it used to be now that I have a Tangerine and I only can carry one 11" slick in each trunk and 2 on the passenger seat.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jul 2 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #4

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Thanks, will remedy this before the tire gets old. (new this season).

I can put it in the front trunk or I have to find a wheel+tire. Dang 924S extra junk wheels won't fit, need longer studs+spacers
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:27 AM