Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painting intake tubes, Does color make a difference?
retrofit
post Jul 9 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,943

Is there any evidence that painted EFI intake tubes will make the engine run hotter/cooler depending on the color?
Over at 914 groups someone posted that when he painted his intake tubes black the engine ran 20* hotter.
So if you paint the tubes a light color (reflective, not absorbing heat?) it will run the same or, cooler?
I have seen nicely detailed engine bays where the plenum and intake was painted the body color. Could this be a functiional mistake? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 10 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 9 2007, 10:51 PM) *

Is there any evidence that painted EFI intake tubes will make the engine run hotter/cooler depending on the color?
Over at 914 groups someone posted that when he painted his intake tubes black the engine ran 20* hotter.
So if you paint the tubes a light color (reflective, not absorbing heat?) it will run the same or, cooler?
I have seen nicely detailed engine bays where the plenum and intake was painted the body color. Could this be a functiional mistake? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 10 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #3

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

DUH! yellow is faster! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

i doubt it would make any measurable difference.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 10 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #4

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Does'nt make sense to me. How could black affect the engine temp... there's no light in there? Color affects temp on a visual basis, not a mechanical one. Put a black 914 & a white 914 in the sun the black one will get hotter. Put them in the shade & the temp stays the same. Perhaps it was the content /makeup of the black spray paint he used? No insulation value from the engine heat?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 10 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

From the factory they are painted. Maybe someone ceramic coated them. Oh but that would keep heat out, as the runners are bolted to the heads with a plastic block insulating between it and the head. Horsecrap, oh wait maybe he forgot those phenolic blocks/spacers when he reinstalled.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 10 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,022

the person who stated that needs to put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I noticed my car ran cooler when I replaced the muffler bearing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 10 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(retrofit @ Jul 9 2007, 09:51 PM) *

yes. flat black is the worst as it absorbs heat much better than, let's say a bright and shiny white ...

flat black runners will get warmer by absorbing more heat from the engine compartement ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 10 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #8

Resident German

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 10 2007, 05:17 AM) *

no light in there? Color affects temp on a visual basis

nice try, but no dice ...

heat *is* light. just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. your (mine, humans in general) range of vision is very limited. there's much more light than what *we* can see.

flat black does not care about what you or i can see. it'll absorb surrounding heat much better than a lighter color ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jul 10 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2007, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 10 2007, 05:17 AM) *

no light in there? Color affects temp on a visual basis

nice try, but no dice ...

heat *is* light. just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. your (mine, humans in general) range of vision is very limited. there's much more light than what *we* can see.

flat black does not care about what you or i can see. it'll absorb surrounding heat much better than a lighter color ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy

Good response, interesting point.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 10 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Andy is right.

In theory, the black runners will absorb more heat. But in practice, you will not see a measurable difference in engine or intake air temperature based on the color of the intake runners.

+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 10 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #11

If i put two parts in an oven, one white and one black, and turned the oven to 140* (engine bay temps)you are telling me the black part would be hotter!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Keith (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Jul 10 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

heat is radiation.

I believe they were painted a lighter color intentionally, and should not be painted black, but light grey or even white.

they reside over the black cooling tins which give off a large amount of radiant heat.

flat black has a 1:1 absorptance/emmittance ratio meaing it absobs as much as it gives off.

white on the other hand is 1:4 ratio meaning it gives off 4 time more than it absorbs which translates into a REAL WORLD decrease in its working temp.

Its known as "temperature of equillibrium"
this is measureable stuff not theory.
+Quote Post
brer
post Jul 10 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 10 2007, 11:16 AM) *

If i put two parts in an oven, one white and one black, and turned the oven to 140* (engine bay temps)you are telling me the black part would be hotter!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Keith (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

the black part will reach temp faster.

equillibrium has alot to do with exposure.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 10 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #14

Resident German

QUOTE(brer @ Jul 10 2007, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 10 2007, 11:16 AM) *

the black part will reach temp faster.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) simple physics ...
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 10 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #15

interesting, good thing I am gong with chrome P coat on my intake runners. Not only will they run cooler ,my car will go faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 10 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #16

Ernie made me do it!

Once again, yes the black runners will absorb more heat.

But the question was, does the paint color make a real difference to engine or intake air temperatures. To answer this, the question becomes, how much more heat will the black runners absorb?

Within the engine bay, and given the area of each runner, I would estimate that we are talking about less than 2 watts of power (per runner) difference between black and white runners (really I think it's less than 1 watt).

Anyway, the runners have relatively cool air running inside them. A 2L engine at 3000 rpm pulls around 50 CFM of air through each runner. With this volume of air, it will take ~16 watts of power to heat that air by 1 degree C.

So you can see that at 2 watts, or even 5 or 10 watts difference, you would only be heating the intake air by a fraction of a degree.

Hence, paint your intake runners any color you want.
+Quote Post
brer
post Jul 10 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

the radiant source is the engine tin which is signficantly hotter than the engine bay temp especially sitting in traffic.

sitting at idle in traffic I would wager your pipes would get rather hot, so why speed up the process ?

just my opinion, feel free to blow up your motor with the wrong color paint.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 10 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #18

blow up your motor with the wrong color paint!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Jul 10 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #19

Ernie made me do it!

Wow. This thead has taken an interesting turn.

The factory decided to put the stock 2L engine air intake in a location where it draws in air that is more than 50 degrees F hotter than the outside air.

Yet, apparantly, they also painted the intake runners a light color to prevent further heating this air by a fraction of a degree. And this fraction of a degree will blow up your motor if you paint your intake runners with the wrong color! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 10 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #20

the question was, would you see hotter head temps with intake runners any other color than stock grey. I think the answer is NO!

blow up your motor with the wrong color..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) classic!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:18 AM