Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> -6 engine parts finish, lots of different version around
freezing14
post Jul 11 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #1

freezing14

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,233

more finish questions, this time engine related ,I know the tins have to be semi gloss black and they are already powder coated

now to the magnesium parts, what is the original finish of the top cover and bottom cover, I have seen both black and natural metal uncoated look finish, what the original one
and if it is the natural one how do you reserve the look ( previously blasted one got dark grey in 2 weeks)

the other parts is the fan housing and fan,, black / natural and if natural how to preserve

thanks guy I do not know how I would do that without you(s)

freezing14
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikey
post Jul 11 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 214
Region Association: None

QUOTE(freezing14 @ Jul 11 2007, 05:13 PM) *

more finish questions, this time engine related ,I know the tins have to be semi gloss black and they are already powder coated

now to the magnesium parts, what is the original finish of the top cover and bottom cover, I have seen both black and natural metal uncoated look finish, what the original one
and if it is the natural one how do you reserve the look ( previously blasted one got dark grey in 2 weeks)

the other parts is the fan housing and fan,, black / natural and if natural how to preserve

thanks guy I do not know how I would do that without you(s)

freezing14

My original six has semi gloss painted black top and bottom covers with the Porsche lettering painted white. Kind of garish, IMHO. I kept them in case I ever want to go back to original, but I have a set of turbo top and bottom covers on the car now. The waffles were machined down to clear the suspension console when they need to be removed for a valve adjustment.

By the way, I was told not to sand/bead blast the interior side of these pieces. The blast media get caught in the magnesium and eventually release into the engine oil. Not good for the bearings and other things - in other words engine failure could result.

+Quote Post
freezing14
post Jul 11 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #3

freezing14

Member No.: 2,233

thats 1 part of the puzzled done,, the cover were soda blasted very mild and water soluble , so after thye were blasted , they were pressure washed , cover done unless there is an other version, any isea on how to conserve the ''natural'' finish
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:35 AM