Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Event Car Judging, let's hear your thoughts
McMark
post Jul 15 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I've been thinking, for awhile now, that it might be nice to have persistent classes for car judging at events. Something that would allow any 914 event to have instant organization for that part of their planning and allow a more broad comparison of cars from one event to the next.

For example, at the WCR we had the following classes:

Best 914/6 - This includes factory cars as well as conversion cars which use a Porsche flat 6 engine. The winner should be judged on the overall cleanliness and quality of their car. Any aftermarket/custom parts would be a detraction from cars in this category.

Best 914/4 - This category is for cars equipped with a Type IV motor. The winner should be judged on the overall cleanliness and quality of their car. Any aftermarket/custom parts would be a detraction from cars in this category.

Best Conversion Car - This category is for cars equipped with any motor not already listed. The winner should be judged on the overall cleanliness and quality of their car. Any aftermarket/custom parts would be a detraction from cars in this category.

Best Custom Car - This is where the wings, fancy wheels, and custom stitched interiors come into play.

RatRod - The winner in this category has the... um... least aesthetics but still runs and drives. No shame in winning here.

What I'm interested in first and foremost, is would you like to see the same categories from event to event, or are things fine the way they are?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 15 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2007, 09:47 PM) *

would you like to see the same categories from event to event

i think that's a great idea. if we can get all possible cars covered by the categories, people could compare to cars they have actually never seen ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Jul 16 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #3

Barberdave

Group: Members
Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

W.O.W. , Arn't we getting better organized( we need to) :

1. A common set of rules and classes for shows

2. All shows ,meets under the Ramble label

Might just get more attention from different sponsors

Just My 2 cents Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Jul 16 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,658
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Best Conversion Car - This category is for cars equipped with any motor not already listed. The winner should be judged on the overall cleanliness and quality of their car. Any aftermarket/custom parts would be a detraction from cars in this category.

Why would aftermarket or custom parts be a detraction in this catagory? How can you build a v8,Suby or anyother conversion car without using aftermarket or custom parts?

Jerry
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Jul 16 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #5

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Mark: One of the things I have noticed is that every one votes for the same car. In order to brake things up a little I submit the fallowing.
At the WCC 06 John Peterson took best of show, best six and best conversion. Kinda hard to get both the last 2.
If you vote for a car more than one time your vote does not count. In other words only vote for a car once. If you like a car for best paint don't try to make it best of show. This helps to spread the winnings out so you get more happy campers.
I would also like to see the WOMEN, with and behind us, get some recognition for their efforts in our World.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jul 16 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,349

It seems like there is not much of an in-between class. My car is a not stock, but it doesn't have wings and such all over it either.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jul 16 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #7

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

BEST 6 should be factory 914vin#.
BEST 4 would be just that a stock looking in outward appearance 4 cylinder type 4 motored 914.
BEST CONVERSION should be just that, a conversion. I don't think they should crossover !! Electric motor,Subaru,Chev,Buick,Mazda,Nissan, etc. any other power plant, even Porsche.
RATROD, NO NO I don't think this is a term that should describe a hot rod let alone a 914.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION would be a much better term for a car that is not completely assemblled, but still drivable.
BEST MODIFIED (best custom)this should be a 914 that is altered beyond factory components, GT flares, etc. A car that has wings and bulges and modificatiosn that alter the appearance of the car to take it away from the original look of a stock 914.
CCLIN914NATION
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 16 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Preservation /6 Original condition unmolested
Restoration /6 Restored to original condition
Race /6
Preservation /4 Original condition unmolested
Restoration /4 Restored to original condition
Race /4
Conversion Best 4 to 6 car
Other worldly (powered by?)
Ratrod multicolored fun cars
Peoples Choice Most votes
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 16 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

In theory, ConeDodgers' classification approaches PCAs' categories. Certainly workable.

The minefield that we will be entering here will be how to deduct points for un-originality. Does an aftermarket s/w lose points as much as a 4 cyl carb system? Will a 914 with a CD player lose more or less points than a car with an A/M muffler? Does a 5 bolt conversion on a 4 cyl offset a 914 with 911 paint on it? How many points are lost with a Scheel seat.....the same point loss as 195/60 tires? When does (dirty/rusty/worn) originality trump a fresh/pristine/"improved" restoration.

I think if you play hardball with originality, with all the "improved" cars that I've seen on this site and at a club event, there could be a lot of sore and unhappy people. Scoring for all the upgrades on these cars could get very confusing and cumbersome.

I think a further categorization would be an "improved" class, permitting PORSCHE factory upgrades that could include 5 bolt hub upgrades, tires that fit within stock fenders, Euro lenses, OEM wheel, etc.

This won't be easy.

Paul
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 16 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Jerry/JoeS: In building the categories for the WCR my main focus was to eliminate the multiple wins per car that Joe described. I tried to write the categories so that the winner in one category couldn't possibly win another category. So the best conversion car would be "It's a stock 914, I just wanted a different motor". Whereas the best custom car would be "I wanted to build a car with a certain look".

Craig, I like your "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" class name. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

My individual opinion is that I would like to keep away from a points based/rulebook judging system and keep the impromptu/seat-of-the-pants style judging.

Great discussion so far. It sounds like there is some support for this idea. I'll definitely be weighing in on this discussion, but it's up to you all to make the decisions. These are your events, so they should be run the way you all want them to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 16 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #11

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Having judged at several shows over the past 20 years, I think it would be best to dispense with the 914/4 & 914/6 classes as such.
To replace these classes, have an Originality class (Full CW, with very few mods allowed), and have a Improved class (as Paul says, but limit the number of mods allowed). Cars with more than the limit will naturally fall into the Custom class. A simple conversion of a 914/4 to 914/6 specification would fall into the improved class. A conversion of a 914/6 into a GT might be allowed into the Originality class if it was a faithful conversion, otherwise it would be bumped down.

Basically the idea is to limit the number of classes to a small number, say a maximum of 5. Then try to even out the first three classes (Originality, Improved and Custom) by a division of allowed modifications. Afterall, you want to promote healthy competition.

My thought about putting the /4 and /6 together is that there is usually not enough CW cars to justify the split, and the level of preparation is about the same.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 16 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #12

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094

My moto is "It's not a show car, it's a GO car." So lets get out and drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 16 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #13

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

I think the 6 catagory should be REAL VIN# only
I think the 6 conversions should be in the same class as other non-stock engine conversions
I think "Under Construction" or "Work in Progress" is a great class to have
I'd also like to see best "Street Legal Racer"...something for cars like Andy, Elliot, etc.
I think it would be a good compromise to be able to vote for a single 914 for best in a defined class AND Best of Show or People's Choice award, but NOT be able to vote for the same car in 2 classes.
I think 914 events are best judged by the crowd, 914 owners or not, and just tell the CWs to drink a beer and relax (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 16 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #14

neo life

Member No.: 159

Mark,

Who were the winners from the WCR?

I'd add 2nd or 3rd runner ups as there may be more competition in a category. Let's not be so stingy with the awards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'd add

Longest driven distance

Best low budget driver

Best race equipped

+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 16 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #15

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Jul 16 2007, 08:47 PM) *

My moto is "It's not a show car, it's a GO car." So lets get out and drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 16 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #16

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've never done this so my views are that of a inexperienced newbie, but I would like to see:

1. CW/Pure Stock- 4s' & 6s' together & no favoring the six over the four because of the damned engine. Restos allowed, no separate preservation class.

2. Modified/Improved- a real six that has a bigger six in it, a real 4 w/ a bigger/better 4, SS exchangers, pertronix, power windows, etc... Again, sixs' & fours' together, no separation. VW/Porsche customs would fit into this category.

3. Conversion- any & all. Putting a bigger 4, or smaller, in a car that was a four is not a conversion. Any V8, V6, rotary, Subaru, 4 upgraded to a six, six downgraded to a 4, etc... are. This is the custom category.

4. GT/AX- whatever goes here, Can Am rules (you must have a passenger seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ) street legal, not street legal, whatever. But you must race it.

5. WIP- work in progress, covers everyone in the above 4 groups. Gives guys a heads up as to what to expect at the next show/year.

My .02.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Edit: this is a beauty contest, not a moving competition. That is another beast altogether.

This post has been edited by Johny Blackstain: Jul 16 2007, 05:14 PM
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 16 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 16 2007, 12:53 PM) *

....... and just tell the CWs to drink a beer and relax (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wine, the CWs drink wine and eat cheese. (CW=Cheese and Wine) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 16 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #18

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

THe coveted "best of show" would go to a car that has a technical win in the most catagories. HOWEVER you express a desire to prevent one car from cleaning up so you might take the runner ups (2nd place cars) in the other catagories as the winner of that individual catagory. Make sense? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 16 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I used to compete at the Bug Outs in Manasses and they would only allow 3 1st places in your class then you got vumped up to the " full custom " class. Those were/are the big dogs. Most of the guys who got bumped up there never showed up again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 16 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I set up a few meets here in the Pacific NW a while back. I made up a bunch of categories. I don't remember them all but one of the favorites. Keep in mind most 914 owners qualified for this in some way shape or for. The category was [b]"MOST RUST"[b] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I don't remeber who actually took that award home. I am sure it is framed & on their wall at home though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

While the above is true. I think whatever the categories are they shouldn't be a huge deal. I think most of our cars are works in progress. So include some categories that are for the ordinary joe like me. I probably will not fit or win any of the categories you listed. That is fine as I really don't mind or expect it. I guess my suggestion is make it a fun thing & not one that people are going to be upset about either way.

Best of luck whatever you guys decide. The events overall are the best because we get to BS with fellow teeners! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:13 AM