Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some roller cam detailed info (and new pics), I could not find the previous "roller" thread
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

OK, finally got a few minutes to share some roller cam info....
Attached Image

Roller cams are the major factor that keeps the VW pushrod driven engine from being made more modern. All of todays modern pushrod engines use roller cams and lifters to provide valve actuation, due to this these engines can run on oils that do not have as much zinc and phosphorous contant and this is a huge factor that is driving all my engines to the roller technology.

Roller cams provide the following:

- More power than any flat tappet cam of similar characteristcs, due primarily to faster opening events.

- Less friction than a flat tappet as the roller wheel actually "rolls" on the cam lobe instead of depending on lobe tapers and lifter crown radii to spin the lifter (HUGE)

-The use of roller cams and lifters allows much small lift and duration numbers to be used to gain the same net power as a much larger flat tappet cam, this means better idle, better EFI system compatability due to a stronger and more stable manifold pressure.

It's no secret that we are doing the roller lifter development to meet two main objectives, the first being better compatibility with modern oils and the second to make more power. Roller equipped engines have serious throttle response compared to flat tappet cams and they also have serious torque curves due to the extreme chamber filling at lower lifts because of the ramp speed of the cam.

The friction reduction with these cams and lifters is a huge benefit, the way our roller lifters are designed there is virtually nothing to wear out as the engine gains age. The use of an 8620 tool steel camshaft blank coupled to the rioller wheel that is made from another grade of tool steel (for compatability) results in two components that are well lubricated, resistant to wear and resistant to failure either on the street or on the track.

My emphasis with this development has been 13 months in the making, the first 5 months was the simplest, basically sourcing materials, designing lobes and having the cam blanks made up from scratch. After this point the project was stalled due to one company going out of business, my schedule and all sorts of tooling issues with the case alignment tools we designed to install the bushings. The last six months has been full of ups and downs but last week we finally got the bushings installed the way that made me happy and with the latest revision to the toolimng is fairly simple for us.

This week we will be doing tests in the simulation device and then tearing down to measure wear, bushing aligment and etc. What will follow is a series of 4 different test engines being built with both roller and flat tappet cams for comparisons in power and tuning. After these four engines are completed this technology will be the standard here with all of my "Performer" based engines using the technology by mid 2008 at the latest.

I'll close by saying this development is being made primarily for STREET engines, not race engines! Most every racing venue that exists for the 914 has rules that do not allow for roller camshafts to be employed- when something is made illegal by a racing body you can bet that it really works and gives it's users a huge edge-

Here are some detailed pics, I have shared more similar pics over at my forums in the R&D section.
Attached Image

Here are some of the bushing alignment tools used to check bushing install to ensure the roller lifters are going to be truly perpendicular to the camshaft
Attached Image

This is a digital plot from our cam profiler that clearly shows the differences between a roller and flat tappet cam that have the same .050 duration values and similar lobe lift, note how much wider and flatter the 9900 series camshaft is, this and all 9900 series cams are rollers.
Attached Image

So, there ya have it, couple these to a pair of porkies heads and 300 REAL HP was never made so easy or reliable before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Oops, forgot a pic or two of the billet rocker arms we are doing to promote the roller cams.... These will also work as stock replacements and will be available in aluminum and billet steel.

(IMG:http://www.rdtlabs.com/Pictures/vwrocker1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.rdtlabs.com/Pictures/vwrocker2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.rdtlabs.com/Pictures/vwrocker4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.rdtlabs.com/Pictures/vwrocker5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.rdtlabs.com/Pictures/vwrocker6.jpg)

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #3

Engine Surgeon

Now for some pics of the porkies heads that will accompany these rollers in optimized applications :-)

The way they started.
Attached Image

After some work
Attached Image
Attached Image

The six cylinder guys really won't be liking these results.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 16 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Way cool Jake, I have stated a rollercam fund for my engine. I wonder how much hp a 2056 can make with rollers and heads?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

160HP from a daily driver 2056 is a reality... I am building one of these now for development purposes.
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Jul 16 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #6

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
When are these going to be out and available for purchase?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

These are going to be only available in complete engines as we work on refinements and further developments with them. There are many more aspects that are critical when optimizing, or even using these lifters and cams, including heavily modified pistons.

These alterations are not something I would ever task an individual with that had not used the components before, so at best we'll be offering "Roller" engine kits to the public and not selling cams and lifters individually.

Turnkey roller engines are now available on a case by case basis for the right interested parties that are willing to assume the fact that we have not worked the "Bugs" out of these yet- we'll still be refining these for years to come...
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 16 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I am so excited about all these new developments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 16 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Man Jake this is worse than being 3years old with a buck at the candy counter. I can hardly wait.

Dave
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 16 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 08:34 AM) *

The six cylinder guys really won't be liking these results.

Correction. Most six cylinder guys and gals could care less.

Wishing you the best of luck with these expereiments, hope they turn out better than your past adventures.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Grant, we have never really had an adventure go bad with development work, except when we made things and those who were interested didn't follow through.. These are also not really experiments, the technology is already proven in other engines. It's just my job to apply them to thie TIV engine and develop them as well as possible.

True, some six cylinder guys and gals may not care about what we are doing with these advancements, but even if 5% of them wonder why the hell they got passed by a 4 cylinder car I'll be happy :-)

+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 16 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #12

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
For PCA racing the upgrade would probably fall in to "Non-stock cam" and have the same mod points as replacing a stock cam with a 9550. Bring it on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

A roller cam kit would be awesome. Please send to McMark ASAP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

Yep, it would be worth taking the points hit to install this cam, for sure...

It would never work with stock FI- no way, not happenin!
+Quote Post
Trevorg7
post Jul 16 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry - pet peeve of mine

Most six cylinder guys and gals could care less.

If people could care less they would therefore what your trying to say, and correctly said, is they couldn't care less.

T
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 16 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

It does create another option for 914's and guys looking at installing a 160hp 2.4-2.7L six can look at a 160hp 2056 which looks stock. If ya used Nikkies the type4 2056 would last 200k easy and run cool.

Now how about those rollers for my Westy!

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 16 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #16

Engine Surgeon

Rollers for the westy are no issue.. I am working on a cam profile now for the "Super Camper Special" that uses a roller cam, based on a profile from an early roller Mustang engine that was originally hydro.. The torque with this will be phenomenol!!

The 2056 engine is probably going to be the engine of choice for the rollers, even more so than the 2270 and thats due to the lack of stroke and easier fitting of components as well as the fact that the roller makes so much torque that the 2056 roller may make as much power as yesterday's 2270 did with much less investment.

At this point all these parts are veryy expensive, but as things progress costs will drop, especially with the roller cams and lifters as quantity goes up..
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 16 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 09:05 AM) *

These are going to be only available in complete engines as we work on refinements and further developments with them. There are many more aspects that are critical when optimizing, or even using these lifters and cams, including heavily modified pistons.

These alterations are not something I would ever task an individual with that had not used the components before, so at best we'll be offering "Roller" engine kits to the public and not selling cams and lifters individually.

Turnkey roller engines are now available on a case by case basis for the right interested parties that are willing to assume the fact that we have not worked the "Bugs" out of these yet- we'll still be refining these for years to come...

Jake,

I am really, really interested in a "Roller engine kit" for my 2.0-L mostly stock F.I. Engine. If you read a recent post, I hate the cam in my F.I. engine with it's poor idle & stumble at low speeds. It's the wrong cam in my car & I am ready to do something. What would a "Roller Kit" consist of___?? Give me a ball park $$ & I may be your first customer. Let me know if you want me to send a personal e-mail with details of my engine so you can make recommendation's or suggestions. I was looking at your site & thinking about stepping up with Nickies, new Heads & a milder Cam for my street driven 914. I am just starting to look at different cost options. I just want a reliable F.I. stock looking engine with a little extra hp. I don't believe I need a turnkey roller engine, just the reccommended kit, but open to recommendations.

Tom
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 16 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Jake,

I am really, really interested in a "Roller engine kit" for my 2.0-L mostly stock F.I. Engine. If you read a recent post, I hate the cam in my F.I. engine with it's poor idle & stumble at low speeds. It's the wrong cam in my car & I am ready to do something. What would a "Roller Kit" consist of___?? Give me a ball park $$ & I may be your first customer. Let me know if you want me to send a personal e-mail with details of my engine so you can make recommendation's or suggestions. I was looking at your site & thinking about stepping up with Nickies, new Heads & a milder Cam for my street driven 914. I am just starting to look at different cost options. I just want a reliable F.I. stock looking engine with a little extra hp. I don't believe I need a turnkey roller engine, just the reccommended kit, but open to recommendations.

Tom

Tom, what cam is it? Wow, the 9550 cam I am running has good idle and incredible off throttle response....I got 30mpg recently on a trip across the mts (350miles) going 80mph+ on the freeway.

I am looking at building a roller,Nikkie, lite crank, MS FI 2056 in a year or so as parts become available.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jul 16 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,197

Silly question I know, but just where are the rollers? In the rocker or in the cam? I always
thought they were in the rockers, but you keep referring to a "roller cam". You've got me a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ...

Skip
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 16 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #20

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 16 2007, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Jake,

Tom

Tom, what cam is it? Wow, the 9550 cam I am running has good idle and incredible off throttle response....I got 30mpg recently on a trip across the mts (350miles) going 80mph+ on the freeway.

I am looking at building a roller,Nikkie, lite crank, MS FI 2056 in a year or so as parts become available.

Geoff,

It was made for my engine by General Knetic's (spelling??). I only get about 5" of vacuum @ low idle & have to get over 2,500 rpm before the engine starts to perform. It goes like stink after 2,500 rpm to redline. Most of my driving is around town & in traffic. I also have rich engine fuel conditions & milage stinks.

Tom
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:24 AM