Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some roller cam detailed info (and new pics)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jake Raby
OK, finally got a few minutes to share some roller cam info....
Click to view attachment

Roller cams are the major factor that keeps the VW pushrod driven engine from being made more modern. All of todays modern pushrod engines use roller cams and lifters to provide valve actuation, due to this these engines can run on oils that do not have as much zinc and phosphorous contant and this is a huge factor that is driving all my engines to the roller technology.

Roller cams provide the following:

- More power than any flat tappet cam of similar characteristcs, due primarily to faster opening events.

- Less friction than a flat tappet as the roller wheel actually "rolls" on the cam lobe instead of depending on lobe tapers and lifter crown radii to spin the lifter (HUGE)

-The use of roller cams and lifters allows much small lift and duration numbers to be used to gain the same net power as a much larger flat tappet cam, this means better idle, better EFI system compatability due to a stronger and more stable manifold pressure.

It's no secret that we are doing the roller lifter development to meet two main objectives, the first being better compatibility with modern oils and the second to make more power. Roller equipped engines have serious throttle response compared to flat tappet cams and they also have serious torque curves due to the extreme chamber filling at lower lifts because of the ramp speed of the cam.

The friction reduction with these cams and lifters is a huge benefit, the way our roller lifters are designed there is virtually nothing to wear out as the engine gains age. The use of an 8620 tool steel camshaft blank coupled to the rioller wheel that is made from another grade of tool steel (for compatability) results in two components that are well lubricated, resistant to wear and resistant to failure either on the street or on the track.

My emphasis with this development has been 13 months in the making, the first 5 months was the simplest, basically sourcing materials, designing lobes and having the cam blanks made up from scratch. After this point the project was stalled due to one company going out of business, my schedule and all sorts of tooling issues with the case alignment tools we designed to install the bushings. The last six months has been full of ups and downs but last week we finally got the bushings installed the way that made me happy and with the latest revision to the toolimng is fairly simple for us.

This week we will be doing tests in the simulation device and then tearing down to measure wear, bushing aligment and etc. What will follow is a series of 4 different test engines being built with both roller and flat tappet cams for comparisons in power and tuning. After these four engines are completed this technology will be the standard here with all of my "Performer" based engines using the technology by mid 2008 at the latest.

I'll close by saying this development is being made primarily for STREET engines, not race engines! Most every racing venue that exists for the 914 has rules that do not allow for roller camshafts to be employed- when something is made illegal by a racing body you can bet that it really works and gives it's users a huge edge-

Here are some detailed pics, I have shared more similar pics over at my forums in the R&D section.
Click to view attachment

Here are some of the bushing alignment tools used to check bushing install to ensure the roller lifters are going to be truly perpendicular to the camshaft
Click to view attachment

This is a digital plot from our cam profiler that clearly shows the differences between a roller and flat tappet cam that have the same .050 duration values and similar lobe lift, note how much wider and flatter the 9900 series camshaft is, this and all 9900 series cams are rollers.
Click to view attachment

So, there ya have it, couple these to a pair of porkies heads and 300 REAL HP was never made so easy or reliable before. boldblue.gif

Jake Raby
Oops, forgot a pic or two of the billet rocker arms we are doing to promote the roller cams.... These will also work as stock replacements and will be available in aluminum and billet steel.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jake Raby
Now for some pics of the porkies heads that will accompany these rollers in optimized applications :-)

The way they started.
Click to view attachment

After some work
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The six cylinder guys really won't be liking these results.
Bleyseng
Way cool Jake, I have stated a rollercam fund for my engine. I wonder how much hp a 2056 can make with rollers and heads?
Jake Raby
160HP from a daily driver 2056 is a reality... I am building one of these now for development purposes.
914nerd
drooley.gif
When are these going to be out and available for purchase?
Jake Raby
These are going to be only available in complete engines as we work on refinements and further developments with them. There are many more aspects that are critical when optimizing, or even using these lifters and cams, including heavily modified pistons.

These alterations are not something I would ever task an individual with that had not used the components before, so at best we'll be offering "Roller" engine kits to the public and not selling cams and lifters individually.

Turnkey roller engines are now available on a case by case basis for the right interested parties that are willing to assume the fact that we have not worked the "Bugs" out of these yet- we'll still be refining these for years to come...
McMark
I am so excited about all these new developments. boldblue.gif
DNHunt
Man Jake this is worse than being 3years old with a buck at the candy counter. I can hardly wait.

Dave
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 08:34 AM) *

The six cylinder guys really won't be liking these results.

Correction. Most six cylinder guys and gals could care less.

Wishing you the best of luck with these expereiments, hope they turn out better than your past adventures.
Jake Raby
Grant, we have never really had an adventure go bad with development work, except when we made things and those who were interested didn't follow through.. These are also not really experiments, the technology is already proven in other engines. It's just my job to apply them to thie TIV engine and develop them as well as possible.

True, some six cylinder guys and gals may not care about what we are doing with these advancements, but even if 5% of them wonder why the hell they got passed by a 4 cylinder car I'll be happy :-)

Chris Pincetich
clap56.gif
For PCA racing the upgrade would probably fall in to "Non-stock cam" and have the same mod points as replacing a stock cam with a 9550. Bring it on happy11.gif

A roller cam kit would be awesome. Please send to McMark ASAP beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
Yep, it would be worth taking the points hit to install this cam, for sure...

It would never work with stock FI- no way, not happenin!
Trevorg7
Sorry - pet peeve of mine

Most six cylinder guys and gals could care less.

If people could care less they would therefore what your trying to say, and correctly said, is they couldn't care less.

T
Bleyseng
It does create another option for 914's and guys looking at installing a 160hp 2.4-2.7L six can look at a 160hp 2056 which looks stock. If ya used Nikkies the type4 2056 would last 200k easy and run cool.

Now how about those rollers for my Westy!

Jake Raby
Rollers for the westy are no issue.. I am working on a cam profile now for the "Super Camper Special" that uses a roller cam, based on a profile from an early roller Mustang engine that was originally hydro.. The torque with this will be phenomenol!!

The 2056 engine is probably going to be the engine of choice for the rollers, even more so than the 2270 and thats due to the lack of stroke and easier fitting of components as well as the fact that the roller makes so much torque that the 2056 roller may make as much power as yesterday's 2270 did with much less investment.

At this point all these parts are veryy expensive, but as things progress costs will drop, especially with the roller cams and lifters as quantity goes up..
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 09:05 AM) *

These are going to be only available in complete engines as we work on refinements and further developments with them. There are many more aspects that are critical when optimizing, or even using these lifters and cams, including heavily modified pistons.

These alterations are not something I would ever task an individual with that had not used the components before, so at best we'll be offering "Roller" engine kits to the public and not selling cams and lifters individually.

Turnkey roller engines are now available on a case by case basis for the right interested parties that are willing to assume the fact that we have not worked the "Bugs" out of these yet- we'll still be refining these for years to come...

Jake,

I am really, really interested in a "Roller engine kit" for my 2.0-L mostly stock F.I. Engine. If you read a recent post, I hate the cam in my F.I. engine with it's poor idle & stumble at low speeds. It's the wrong cam in my car & I am ready to do something. What would a "Roller Kit" consist of___?? Give me a ball park $$ & I may be your first customer. Let me know if you want me to send a personal e-mail with details of my engine so you can make recommendation's or suggestions. I was looking at your site & thinking about stepping up with Nickies, new Heads & a milder Cam for my street driven 914. I am just starting to look at different cost options. I just want a reliable F.I. stock looking engine with a little extra hp. I don't believe I need a turnkey roller engine, just the reccommended kit, but open to recommendations.

Tom
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Jake,

I am really, really interested in a "Roller engine kit" for my 2.0-L mostly stock F.I. Engine. If you read a recent post, I hate the cam in my F.I. engine with it's poor idle & stumble at low speeds. It's the wrong cam in my car & I am ready to do something. What would a "Roller Kit" consist of___?? Give me a ball park $$ & I may be your first customer. Let me know if you want me to send a personal e-mail with details of my engine so you can make recommendation's or suggestions. I was looking at your site & thinking about stepping up with Nickies, new Heads & a milder Cam for my street driven 914. I am just starting to look at different cost options. I just want a reliable F.I. stock looking engine with a little extra hp. I don't believe I need a turnkey roller engine, just the reccommended kit, but open to recommendations.

Tom

Tom, what cam is it? Wow, the 9550 cam I am running has good idle and incredible off throttle response....I got 30mpg recently on a trip across the mts (350miles) going 80mph+ on the freeway.

I am looking at building a roller,Nikkie, lite crank, MS FI 2056 in a year or so as parts become available.
smontanaro
Silly question I know, but just where are the rollers? In the rocker or in the cam? I always
thought they were in the rockers, but you keep referring to a "roller cam". You've got me a bit confused24.gif ...

Skip
TJB/914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 16 2007, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Jake,

Tom

Tom, what cam is it? Wow, the 9550 cam I am running has good idle and incredible off throttle response....I got 30mpg recently on a trip across the mts (350miles) going 80mph+ on the freeway.

I am looking at building a roller,Nikkie, lite crank, MS FI 2056 in a year or so as parts become available.

Geoff,

It was made for my engine by General Knetic's (spelling??). I only get about 5" of vacuum @ low idle & have to get over 2,500 rpm before the engine starts to perform. It goes like stink after 2,500 rpm to redline. Most of my driving is around town & in traffic. I also have rich engine fuel conditions & milage stinks.

Tom
Bleyseng
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jul 16 2007, 01:26 PM) *

Silly question I know, but just where are the rollers? In the rocker or in the cam? I always
thought they were in the rockers, but you keep referring to a "roller cam". You've got me a bit confused24.gif ...

Skip

roller lifters actually...see the little wheels hitting the cam lobe.

Tom, sounds like a cam change is in order. If you stay with stock Djet the 9550 cam works great!!
Jake Raby
Tom, we have not even been concerned with sales at all at this point, all I want to do is make the parts work and do their job flawlessly, then we can worry about sales and etc.

The kit I was mentioning would be an entire ENGINE KIT, not just a cam and some parts. This is due to the other drastic changes the roller technology demands from the rest of the engine including piston/ valve clearance and etc.

It's much too early to sell any of these parts, it will take a solid year or more to even get close to that point comfortably. Thanks for your interest!
greybeard50
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 12:11 PM) *

160HP from a daily driver 2056 is a reality... I am building one of these now for development purposes.

What about the 2270 "daily driver" output? Doing the math says 176-177 hp...is this about right? Thanks!
Jake Raby
We'll always be keeping the daily driver combos more conservative, mainly just for drivability..

Today's flat tappet equipped 2270 is rated at over 180HP in Performer trim, with rollers I expect this engine to jump to just over 200HP, thus maximizing it's heads (again)
cuca914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 01:36 PM) *

Tom, we have not even been concerned with sales at all at this point, all I want to do is make the parts work and do their job flawlessly, then we can worry about sales and etc.

The kit I was mentioning would be an entire ENGINE KIT, not just a cam and some parts. This is due to the other drastic changes the roller technology demands from the rest of the engine including piston/ valve clearance and etc.

It's much too early to sell any of these parts, it will take a solid year or more to even get close to that point comfortably. Thanks for your interest!

So, you just like to whip[1].gif us by showing us cool pictures and thowing out crazy performance numbers?! poke.gif

I was just getting excited about putting together a "regular" 2056 kit, but for 50+ hp and more torque I'm not sure if I should save my $$ and wait.

Jake, it really is fun seeing the advancements you're working on! thumb3d.gif
McMark
You definitely shouldn't wait, there will always be new advancements. Plus that 'old' 2056 will have some resale value. wink.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(cuca914 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:00 PM) *

So, you just like to whip[1].gif us by showing us cool pictures and thowing out crazy performance numbers?! poke.gif

I was just getting excited about putting together a "regular" 2056 kit, but for 50+ hp and more torque I'm not sure if I should save my $$ and wait.

I feel like a dog in heat with no satisifaction, rant, rant,
I just looked at Jake's web site to buy a D-Jet #9550 cam & lifters?? I don't see any cam or lifters on the web site. Now what do I do or didn't do???

Tom
Jake Raby
Don't wait on me... None of this craziness may work and even if it does it'll take many months to get it to the level that it needs to be.. If you bought a 2056 kit now you'd be eligable for an upgrade when the parts are proven and it would not take a complete kit to implement these developments to an existing 2056 RAT engine...
cuca914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 16 2007, 02:13 PM) *

You definitely shouldn't wait, there will always be new advancements. Plus that 'old' 2056 will have some resale value. wink.gif

You're right. My impulse tells me to just do the 2056 upgrade now and see if a roller 2056 will be in the budget when the time comes. Besides, what better engine to have as a back-up on the shelf than a 1-2 year old "flat- tappet" 2056?
toon1
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 02:17 PM) *

I just looked at Jake's web site to buy a D-Jet #9550 cam & lifters?? I don't see any cam or lifters on the web site. Now what do I do or didn't do???

Tom

Cam purchases are a sore subject over there right now. You will need to buy the #3 valvetrain upgrade kit which includes the cam.

BTW- Are you using the stock F.I.?
TJB/914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 16 2007, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 16 2007, 02:17 PM) *

Tom

Cam purchases are a sore subject over there right now. You will need to buy the #3 valvetrain upgrade kit which includes the cam.

BTW- Are you using the stock F.I.?

Yes, stock F.I. with mild modifications.

Thanks, I'll look at #3 valvetrain upgrade kit.

Tom
Jake Raby
#3 will get you going now- if you have and want to keep stock FI it's the best all around alternative..

BTW- this is what it will take to feed a 300 HP daily driver, porkie headed, roller cammed MassIVe engine..

Dual stage injectors, up to 65mm of potential and solid billet
Welcome the X Terminator...

Click to view attachment
cuca914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 02:31 PM) *

#3 will get you going now- if you have and want to keep stock FI it's the best all around alternative..

Hey Jake, I just visited your RAT site and checked out the #3 valvetrain upgrade. Looks very affordable considering most of us teeners are a bunch of tightwads, but I noticed that according to the 'cam' link you have listed, the "Cam Dr. has retired". Are you still selling this upgrade, or are we forced to purchase the whole 2056 kit?
Jake Raby
Yes, we are still selling it, if you need the 9550 for your stock FI just order the kit and I'll ensure the 9550 is placed in the shipment... Add your username here to the order and we'll go from there
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 02:31 PM) *

BTW- this is what it will take to feed a 300 HP daily driver, porkie headed, roller cammed MassIVe engine..

Dual stage injectors, up to 65mm of potential and solid billet
Welcome the X Terminator...

Click to view attachment
what do you mean by "dual stage injectors?

An aftermarket F.I. is a must for an engine like that.
Jake Raby
Two injectors per runner/cylinder.. One down low behind the intake valve for lower revs and another up high for higher RPM. These share load and allow two smaller injectors to be ran for better drivability and all around performance compared to one large single injector..

There isn't a carb on the market that will flow the kind of air that these components allow...

Couple these to the newset 107mm Nickies and 3.3L is a streetable possibility, on pump gas.

We have made serious ground in the past 6 months to say the least.
crash914
OMG!!

You are really pushing the envelope now!

I do like the 2 stage idea...hmmmm...I could do something like that to my motor..are you going with straight runners or using a plenum?

keep rocking smile.gif
Jake Raby
Individual runners only, a plenum that would feed this engine would be HUGE!!

The envelope is about to burst..
here is our billet, 4340 chromoly crankshaft.....
Click to view attachment

And the cross section

Click to view attachment

These are being made next week........
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Grant, we have never really had an adventure go bad with development work, except when we made things and those who were interested didn't follow through.. These are also not really experiments, the technology is already proven in other engines. It's just my job to apply them to thie TIV engine and develop them as well as possible.

True, some six cylinder guys and gals may not care about what we are doing with these advancements, but even if 5% of them wonder why the hell they got passed by a 4 cylinder car I'll be happy :-)

Thats funny. People on the West Coast can't seem to keep them running or have run into issues in building them up on the West Coast. Maybe its that moist Pacific sea air?

I'll be the first to let you know when someone in a T4 passes me. LOL! Havent seen any that could come close yet, but then most everyone on the West Coast is afraid to drive a raby big bore T4 on our hot tracks in fear of "X Terminating" their investment. biggrin.gif

I say this is nothing but expensive pipe dreams. Next subject please.
Jake Raby
Thanks for the reality check Grant, there always has to be an asshole in the crowd and I'd expect nothing less from you.

Who needs the west coast? It could fall off the face of the earth tomorrow and most of the country wouldn't miss it too much.. Remember- We are always 3 hours ahead of you guys and there is nothing you can do about it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 16 2007, 04:39 PM) *
I'll be the first to let you know when someone in a T4 passes me.

andrew blyholder runs a T4. and if memory serves me right, he has beaten your times more than once ...
poke.gif Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 05:44 PM) *

Thanks for the reality check Grant, there always has to be an asshole in the crowd and I'd expect nothing less from you.

Who needs the west coast? It could fall off the face of the eart tomorrow and most of the country wouldn't miss it too much.. remember- We are always 3 hours ahead of you guys and there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm sure your customers here appreciate your opinions on the West Coast. I could not care less as I wouldnt touch one your over priced RPG's. slap.gif
DanT
I have a nicely built 2056 with the Raby 9550 cam running stock D-jet.
Motor is very nice and torquey, with a bit more redline RPMs.
Going to wring it out this Saturday at it's second AX.
Then in a couple of weeks we go to TH for a nice cool Time Trial.... dry.gif
Central Valley in August, should be a balmy 100* if we are lucky. smile.gif
Anyway, I will report back on my adventures.
As a daily driver this motor is very nice. Much broader torque curve than the stock 2.0L.

160HP 2056 might be a nice upgrade but I am also looking at a nice 2.2 or so 6.
But if the HP for the 2056 is dependable, it would probably have a much broader torque curve than a small bore 6, so it might be a viable upgrade for my next build.
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2007, 05:48 PM) *

andrew blyholder runs a T4. and if memory serves me right, he has beaten your times more than once ...
poke.gif Andy

Andrew has never tracked the car and he runs big sticky race slicks in AX, I'd run against Andrew on the track any day - No chance he would catch my car in the open. Jake is a bunch of talk. I want to see a T4 go to the track that can pass a well developed six out on TH in the middle of the summer. It wont happen my freind.

..and Andrew and that big T4 didnt complete the Parade because why again? LOL!

grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 16 2007, 05:54 PM) *

I have a nicely built 2056 with the Raby 9550 cam running stock D-jet.
Motor is very nice and torquey, with a bit more redline RPMs.
Going to wring it out this Saturday at it's second AX.
Then in a couple of weeks we go to TH for a nice cool Time Trial.... dry.gif
Central Valley in August, should be a balmy 100* if we are lucky. smile.gif
Anyway, I will report back on my adventures.
As a daily driver this motor is very nice. Much broader torque curve than the stock 2.0L.

160HP 2056 might be a nice upgrade but I am also looking at a nice 2.2 or so 6.
But if the HP for the 2056 is dependable, it would probably have a much broader torque curve than a small bore 6, so it might be a viable upgrade for my next build.

A nice stockish 2056 is completely differnt story than fantasy land of Jake with these fictional 3.3 liter T4's. We all know stockish T4's can be made to last.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 16 2007, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 16 2007, 05:44 PM) *

I'm sure your customers here appreciate your opinions on the West Coast. :

No, remember they all think I suck already, so it doesn't really matter- right?

The only west coast issues we have ever had were related to those who don't follow directives or venture to do things we specifically tell them not to, of course...

At any rate, you are entitled to your opinion on what I am creating and I do appreciate the criticism believe it or not.

Find any truly developed parts being built from scratch like these for any engine and the price will be about the same. FYI- A 160HP 2056 with rollers and LE 200 heads could easily be built in kit form for 5K, thats not expensive at all for the amount of output and ease of assembly.
DanT
it all takes developement....Jake is willing to put in the time and money.

Randal's car should be very nice once he gets the motor into the chassis and works out the bugs....

If his car/motor combination is as good as it looks on paper then it might be very nice indeed.
And yes it will be interesting to see how it does with regard to longevity.

Our history around these parts with highly stressed T4s is less than stellar.

Bill Newlin used to build a new motor at least once a year...
Car was blazingly fast when it ran....

car ran a 1:40.8 at Laguna in '98.
Jake Raby
Randal's car will be fast and he is working the bugs out now.. BUT the technology he has is now two years old, his heads are not LE series heads.

The engine has already made 200HP, but has more left in it and we are working that out now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 16 2007, 04:58 PM) *

I'd run against Andrew on the track any day

and your point is? confused24.gif

so now your "challange" is reduced to a venue of your own choosing?
getting cold feet already? biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Bleyseng
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 16 2007, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2007, 05:48 PM) *

poke.gif Andy

Andrew has never tracked the car and he runs big sticky race slicks in AX, I'd run against Andrew on the track any day - No chance he would catch my car in the open. Jake is a bunch of talk. I want to see a T4 go to the track that can pass a well developed six out on TH in the middle of the summer. It wont happen my freind.

..and Andrew and that big T4 didnt complete the Parade because why again? LOL!

When did Jake just become a "bunch of talk"? He has sponsored several cars with engines and is building a car along with his parts/engine business.

soon a T4 will pass your ass! as someone will take on the challenge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.