Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Marker Lights, Here is my solution to the "warts" side marker lights
Joe Owensby
post Jul 18 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #1

JoeO

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

Here is what I did on my car to update the front side marker lights. I bought small LED (I think about 2" diameter) lights from a local FLAPS. I then opened up the existing hole in the front fender to match the outer diameter of the light. I welded up the existing bolt holes that were for the old "Warts", and then welded in a stud on each side of the light. Needs to be inside the fender enough to make sure it doesn't hit the front signal light assembly when it is installed. I will use a simple bar with holes in each end and nuts on the studs to clamp the light to the inside of the fender. The taper on the outer end of the light will fill in to match the hole in the fender, maybe with a little silicon seal on the inside to completely seal the hole. The lights will extend above the outer surface of the fender about 1/8 of an inch. Cost was about $10.00 each. The photos show the light temporarily in place to allow proper fitting as I final sand the fender. JoeO

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jul 18 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #2

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Those look really nice, and it looks like your work is top-notch. Where did you get the lights?
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Jul 19 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,444

That really is nice work. I went one step farther and welded the center hole up.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jul 19 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If the body is being worked on and it is going to be painted, why not weld the holes up and be done with the warts.
CCLIN914NATION
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 19 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #5

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 18 2007, 09:55 PM) *

Those look really nice, and it looks like your work is top-notch. Where did you get the lights?

x2
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 19 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(boxstr @ Jul 19 2007, 09:04 AM) *

If the body is being worked on and it is going to be painted, why not weld the holes up and be done with the warts.
CCLIN914NATION

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jul 19 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

I welded mine up and the side looks sooo much better. I remember seeing a post of someone installing I think a New VW side marker behind the wheel well, looked real good.
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Jul 19 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #8

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385

Lights were from Advance Auto.

I looked around here a lot, and saw several options, including the ones behind the wheel. I started to delete the lights all together. However, after several weeks of paying particular attention to the visibility of cars that I met at night, I noticed that the side lights really do make quite a difference in visibility. If a car was coming from a side road at a 90 degree or lesser angle, the side lights really made a difference in being able to see the car. So, I decided to compromise and keep the lights, but make them a little more acceptable, as I plan to drive the car a lot- if I ever get it done. Cheers, JoeO
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 19 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

Did they pop right in, or did you have to do some improvising?
+Quote Post
retrofit
post Jul 19 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,943

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jul 18 2007, 10:10 PM) *

Here is what I did on my car to update the front side marker lights. I bought small LED (I think about 2" diameter) lights from a local FLAPS. I then opened up the existing hole in the front fender to match the outer diameter of the light. I welded up the existing bolt holes that were for the old "Warts", and then welded in a stud on each side of the light. Needs to be inside the fender enough to make sure it doesn't hit the front signal light assembly when it is installed. I will use a simple bar with holes in each end and nuts on the studs to clamp the light to the inside of the fender. The taper on the outer end of the light will fill in to match the hole in the fender, maybe with a little silicon seal on the inside to completely seal the hole. The lights will extend above the outer surface of the fender about 1/8 of an inch. Cost was about $10.00 each. The photos show the light temporarily in place to allow proper fitting as I final sand the fender. JoeO

I like the look. At first glance it looks stock, but hey, somethings different. Should satisfy the purists, CW's, it's got the damn sidemarkers! Yet, you can see there is some subtle work here...
To offend everyone make them strobe with warning sensors activating the strobe effect when a car approaches at a 90* with ill intensions...
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jul 19 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,349

Warts?

yeah, I'll admit they aren't the most streamlined item. But get yourself a new set and be proud of em.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:22 PM