Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Marker Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
Here is what I did on my car to update the front side marker lights. I bought small LED (I think about 2" diameter) lights from a local FLAPS. I then opened up the existing hole in the front fender to match the outer diameter of the light. I welded up the existing bolt holes that were for the old "Warts", and then welded in a stud on each side of the light. Needs to be inside the fender enough to make sure it doesn't hit the front signal light assembly when it is installed. I will use a simple bar with holes in each end and nuts on the studs to clamp the light to the inside of the fender. The taper on the outer end of the light will fill in to match the hole in the fender, maybe with a little silicon seal on the inside to completely seal the hole. The lights will extend above the outer surface of the fender about 1/8 of an inch. Cost was about $10.00 each. The photos show the light temporarily in place to allow proper fitting as I final sand the fender. JoeO
bigkensteele
Those look really nice, and it looks like your work is top-notch. Where did you get the lights?
70Sixter
That really is nice work. I went one step farther and welded the center hole up.
boxstr
If the body is being worked on and it is going to be painted, why not weld the holes up and be done with the warts.
CCLIN914NATION
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jul 18 2007, 09:55 PM) *

Those look really nice, and it looks like your work is top-notch. Where did you get the lights?

x2
JmuRiz
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jul 19 2007, 09:04 AM) *

If the body is being worked on and it is going to be painted, why not weld the holes up and be done with the warts.
CCLIN914NATION

agree.gif
ruddyboys
I welded mine up and the side looks sooo much better. I remember seeing a post of someone installing I think a New VW side marker behind the wheel well, looked real good.
Joe Owensby
Lights were from Advance Auto.

I looked around here a lot, and saw several options, including the ones behind the wheel. I started to delete the lights all together. However, after several weeks of paying particular attention to the visibility of cars that I met at night, I noticed that the side lights really do make quite a difference in visibility. If a car was coming from a side road at a 90 degree or lesser angle, the side lights really made a difference in being able to see the car. So, I decided to compromise and keep the lights, but make them a little more acceptable, as I plan to drive the car a lot- if I ever get it done. Cheers, JoeO
TROJANMAN
Did they pop right in, or did you have to do some improvising?
retrofit
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jul 18 2007, 10:10 PM) *

Here is what I did on my car to update the front side marker lights. I bought small LED (I think about 2" diameter) lights from a local FLAPS. I then opened up the existing hole in the front fender to match the outer diameter of the light. I welded up the existing bolt holes that were for the old "Warts", and then welded in a stud on each side of the light. Needs to be inside the fender enough to make sure it doesn't hit the front signal light assembly when it is installed. I will use a simple bar with holes in each end and nuts on the studs to clamp the light to the inside of the fender. The taper on the outer end of the light will fill in to match the hole in the fender, maybe with a little silicon seal on the inside to completely seal the hole. The lights will extend above the outer surface of the fender about 1/8 of an inch. Cost was about $10.00 each. The photos show the light temporarily in place to allow proper fitting as I final sand the fender. JoeO

I like the look. At first glance it looks stock, but hey, somethings different. Should satisfy the purists, CW's, it's got the damn sidemarkers! Yet, you can see there is some subtle work here...
To offend everyone make them strobe with warning sensors activating the strobe effect when a car approaches at a 90* with ill intensions...
thomasotten
Warts?

yeah, I'll admit they aren't the most streamlined item. But get yourself a new set and be proud of em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.