Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright, let's talk 914-6 ...
lalee914
post Mar 22 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,521
Region Association: North East States

Are you Still looking for information on this car?

Larry Lee
Vestal, NY.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lalee914
post Mar 22 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 15,521

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 30 2010, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 30 2010, 05:36 AM) *

If anyone knows of this car, any history available is appreciated.

this car sold via eBay on August 26, 2007

here's the vehicle description from the auction:

This is a factory 914-6 # 1396 manufactured April 1970. It has factory steel flares and was raced for a number of years before going into storage. I don’t know the extent of its racing history, however there are IMSA, SCCA and PCA stickers on the windshield. The previous owner was an active member of the Porsche community, but I have been unable to get in touch with him to get more history on the car.

My plan was to restore it to be street legal with factory racer look. While there is currently no drivetrain, it does include very hard to find items like the factory 914-6 oil tank, factory 914-6 oil cooler, and factory engine mount, as pictured. The car also comes with freshly rechromed front and rear bumpers. The bumper tops are just ok.

When the car was retired many of the race spec parts were removed, like the fiberglass hood and deck lids, so they have been replaced with stock steel parts, and were given a quick coat of orange. The pedal assembly, calipers, and rear rotors were also removed. Replacements are readily available. The only part that would be difficult to find are the original rear calipers, but later 911 calipers are very affordable and perform much better. The master cylinder is still there, as well as front rotors, and stainless brake lines. It also has turbo tie rods. There is an adjustable proportioning valve that’s still in the center tunnel.

The body is very straight and the doors both open and close easily. It looks like someone started sanding it down for a repaint. There were a couple spots where the paint/primer got thin, so I hit those areas with orange paint just to keep corrosion at bay until it was time to restore it. The only ding worth mentioning is towards the front of the hood on the passenger’s side, and it’s small.

While the car is solid, there was a repair done to the passenger’s side longitudinal that is clearly non-factory. The work appears to have been done a long time ago, and perhaps the factory repair panels were not available at the time. In any event, I’ve included pictures of the area in question, and I would personally consider replacing the section with a factory piece from restoration design or from a donor car. The door gap and alignment is excellent, and while a bit creative, it has evidently been strong enough to withstand the rigors of racing. It’s hard to tell if it was replaced as a result of corrosion like most of them have, or as a result of an accident. If I had to guess I’d say probably an accident, as the car does not
appear to have been particularly rusty.

I did find a little bit of rust in the front trunk, where the wiring harness exits the firewall (see pic) and it appears to be fairly minor. There is a small spot at the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side where some pitting took place, but the steel is still solid. There's a small area on the pass. fender, near where an antanna hole would be where some filler was used. I don't know if it was related to corrosion or not, but worth mentioning.

I would strongly suggest removing all the suspension and inspecting all the load bearing mounting points, as they are subject to fatigue with track use, and even with spirited road use. I would personally consider doing a chemical dip/strip on the entire chassis. That way it reveals the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The 914-6 is finally going up enough in value that it makes financial sense to do a thorough restoration. With the chassis stripped it would be fairly straight forward to graft in any needed parts from a nice west coast donor car. It’s not uncommon to see a solid 914-4 chassis sell for a few hundred dollars and provide all the necessary factory sheet metal. The two other areas I noticed were a small repair in the front left corner under the head light that was pretty well done and the sheet metal apron behind the rear bumper looks to have been bent up at some point and then straightened. Access is very good and it would be easy to repair.

The rear spoiler is not currently mounted, and no holes have been drilled in the lid. The wheels are factory forged 15x8’s in the rear, and 15x7 pseudo fuchs in the front. The front targa seal is in nice condition, as are the side seals on the targa bar. The wiring looks to be in very good condition. The rear valance and rocker panels are stock steel pieces. The oil tank should be cleaned by a radiator shop before use, but appears in excellent condition. The oil cooler has been cleaned and pressure tested, so should be fine to use as is.

The interior is really quite nice and in good condition. Obviously no carpets, but the car still retains the factory non-movable passenger seat. I should also note that the car still has the correct 914-6 steering wheel. These wheels are sought after by the 911 crowd to make a correct 911 RS wheel. They typically sell between $350 and $500 unrestored, and are very difficult to find. The part number is 914.347.803.10 and is dated 10/69.

The rear wheel bearings were just replace using new FAG bearings. The hubs and stub axles were converted to use the more commonly available 914-4 CV joints and axles. The 914-6 joints have been unavailable for some time. Both joints are the same size, but have a different axle spline count. The stub axles have been torqued to 225 ft lbs. The bearings were replaced because someone didn’t realize the stub axle has to be in and torqued to prevent the bearings form being damaged when the car is moved.

I guess that about covers it. I’ve taken pictures of all the areas I’d like to see if I was looking at a car in person. The life of a race car is not an easy one, but this one should be pretty easy to bring back to life. It’s not uncommon to see vintage racers where the vin plate is the only thing left of the original car. There is a lot of debate as to whether those cars are really worth the financial premium they command considering there isn’t much left of the original chassis.
Fortunately this car isn’t in that category.

With a little sweat equity, this car should make a lot of financial sense for whoever finishes it. While the chassis will need some work, it’s still considerably better than doing the extensive rust repair than so many 914’s need. Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer in a timely manner. I always suggest inspecting a car in person, but I know that’s not always possible, so I’ve taken lots of pictures. If you or a friend would like to inspect the car I’ll do my best to accommodate your schedule.

The car has a clean and clear title. I’ll be happy to work with a shipping company if the buyer makes the arrangements. I’ll also offer to transport the car for about $1 per loaded mile. That means $275 to Phoenix or LA, $500 to the Bay Area, etc. I hope that helps. Of course the car will have to be paid for in full prior to being loaded on a transport or me delivering it. A cashier’s check is probably the most common form of payment, but I’ll have to cash it before releasing the vehicle or title. I’ll be happy to take cash in person should that be preferable. I can give plenty of references of people I’ve both bought and sold high dollar items to.

My feedback and ultimately your satisfaction are very important to me, so please only bid if you are a serious buyer. I take my responsibilities seriously, please do the same.

If you are new to ebay, please contact me and I’ll do my best to walk you through it and explain the process. I do reserve the right to cancel any bids I feel may compromise the integrity of the auction, and to end the auction early should a
local sale occur.
Thanks, and good luck

Are you still looking for information on this car?

Larry Lee
Vestal, NY
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 11 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

OK - Serious question for the experts, please. Did the 1970 914-6 have the same charcoal canister fuel evaporative control system that the -4 did? I ask, because my -6 doesn't, and I'm trying to determine if that's the reason for the rather strong gas smell in the cockpit. All fuel lines have either been checked out or replaced, including the tunnel. The other obvious suspect is the gas cap, but it looks in pretty good condition. Any suggestions/ideas seriously appreciated. Thanks.

- MR
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post Jul 11 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #124

2014 New year resolution: To get along with Woody...

Member No.: 15,972
Region Association: Southern California

Check your rear window seals....??

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 11 2013, 10:27 PM) *

OK - Serious question for the experts, please. Did the 1970 914-6 have the same charcoal canister fuel evaporative control system that the -4 did? I ask, because my -6 doesn't, and I'm trying to determine if that's the reason for the rather strong gas smell in the cockpit. All fuel lines have either been checked out or replaced, including the tunnel. The other obvious suspect is the gas cap, but it looks in pretty good condition. Any suggestions/ideas seriously appreciated. Thanks.

- MR

+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 12 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #125

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Jul 11 2013, 10:29 PM) *

- MR

You know, that's a really good idea. I've had it looked at by 2 well-respected local professionals and they didn't bring that idea up. They did agree that the smell was stronger than it should be. Still begs the question: did the stock -6 have the same charcoal canister system? Thanks.

- MR
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Jul 13 2013, 10:24 AM
Post #126

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 12 2013, 07:08 PM) *

- MR

You know, that's a really good idea. I've had it looked at by 2 well-respected local professionals and they didn't bring that idea up. They did agree that the smell was stronger than it should be. Still begs the question: did the stock -6 have the same charcoal canister system? Thanks.

- MR

Mine did not have it when I picked it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) It could have been removed. However, my Dad's SIX does not have one. I'd have to say "nope", but I've go no proof.
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jul 13 2013, 05:46 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 731

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 12 2013, 06:08 PM) *

- MR

- MR

Some did,.......most did not. I have 2 /6's,....one of each. The systems are very similar. Only the location of the vent lines within the engine compartment are different. If yours does not have it, chances are it came that way from the factory. One of my /6's was sold in the Cali market which has the charcoal canister system, the other sold here in Mass does not. Do you know where your /6 was originally sold?
You must remember that /6 carbed engines are vented to the atmosphere, anyway. They are not closed systems like the /4's. Some early /4's did not come equipped with them, either. You may have a slow leak that is evaporating somewhere.
What is your VIN, if I may ask?
Oh, and welcome to the club.
Don

+Quote Post
Hec
post Jul 14 2013, 07:21 PM
Post #128

Hec

Member No.: 16,122
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2007, 04:34 PM) *

so, after having had the pleasure to drive this beautiful, unmolested, all original, 37k miles 914-6 today, i can't help but wonder if we should attempt to list all the differences between an early /6 and early /4 in terms of originality.

i believe it would be of tremendous help to have a list of things "to look for" when doing a PPI on such a time-capsule.

what do ya'all think?
:idea: Andy

Hello Sir Andy!... The Silver Metallic 914-6 is beautiful!... Mine has to look very close to that when finished, the car was silver originally but my father painted it red in his mid-life crisis... here´s the blog (sorry it is in spanish) with pics of the process. Congrats on your 914-6!

Héctor Coss
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 14 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #129

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 13 2013, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 12 2013, 06:08 PM) *

- MR

- MR

Some did,.......most did not. I have 2 /6's,....one of each. The systems are very similar. Only the location of the vent lines within the engine compartment are different. If yours does not have it, chances are it came that way from the factory. One of my /6's was sold in the Cali market which has the charcoal canister system, the other sold here in Mass does not. Do you know where your /6 was originally sold?
You must remember that /6 carbed engines are vented to the atmosphere, anyway. They are not closed systems like the /4's. Some early /4's did not come equipped with them, either. You may have a slow leak that is evaporating somewhere.
What is your VIN, if I may ask?
Oh, and welcome to the club.
Don

Thanks to Don, and others who've provided feedback. Car has always been located in Washington. Originally purchased at Humphrey's, in Everett. A slow leak is possible, but 2 experienced professionals have not been able to locate it. I'll probably replace the gas cap as a next step. VIN = 91404311482. Thanks again for input and welcoming me to club.

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jul 24 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #130

Attached Image

OK. Certainly not an originality contender, but a fun car to drive when I feel the need to go over to the dark side.

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Aug 12 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #131

Update: It's been pretty much confirmed that this car did not originally come with the charcoal canister evaporative control

system. The fuel smell was traced to an approximately 2 in. hole a previous owner cut in the forward firewall, about knee

height, under the dash. Reason unknown, but likely when the car was being auto-crossed. This hole was conveniently placed

near where the (stock) gas tank vent tube opened underneath the car. Mechanic meticulously checked all possible fuel leak

sources, replaced gas cap and tank gaskets, and neatly patched this hole with a rubber plug. Magically, the fuel smell went

away. The hole in the firewall was ID'd as the biggest culprit. Thanks for all the useful suggestions.

- MR
+Quote Post
sshex
post Oct 22 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 15,926

I have been told that 914-6's had no sound deadening pad in the engine compartment on the firewall. Does anybody know if that is true?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 22 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #133

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sshex @ Oct 22 2013, 04:31 PM) *
I have been told that 914-6's had no sound deadening pad in the engine compartment on the firewall. Does anybody know if that is true?

That is correct, but not exclusive to the 914/6.

Early cars, both /4 and /6 did not have the sound padding on the engine side.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 22 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #134

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 22 2013, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(sshex @ Oct 22 2013, 04:31 PM) *

That is correct, but not exclusive to the 914/6.

Early cars, both /4 and /6 did not have the sound padding on the engine side.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Andy is correct (as usual). My recollection is that sound deadening did not appear until the 74 model. It may have been a good idea, but it turned into a bad one because water vapor could be trapped behind the barrier and cause corrosion.

Besides, who wants to hide the glorious notes of either motor? Why I never put an antenna on mine (well, drilling holes in the body makes my ass pucker).
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Oct 23 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #135

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573
Region Association: South East States

My '73 had all the stuff that became options in 1974.
It included a thick barrier on the cabin side of the firewall, AND a tar barrier on the
engine side of the firewall.
I removed the engine side tar barrier because of the passenger side horizontal
split that ingested water like a scoop.
My '74 had a thinner barrier (about half the thickness of the '73) cabin side,
but no tar barrier on the engine side.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Oct 23 2013, 07:35 AM
Post #136

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jul 24 2013, 08:30 PM) *

Attached Image

OK. Certainly not an originality contender, but a fun car to drive when I feel the need to go over to the dark side.

- MR

NICE CAR MR!, and yet another six in the PNW seems to be more around here then anywhere :confused:will we see ya at AX next year?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and no canister on my car
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Nov 8 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

A Six has only one fuel line entering upper engine compartment.
Because a six has no rain tray on engine lid it also does not have funnels and tubes to carry water out of engine comp.
Don't know if it's a six thing or an early car thing but all sixes have wires in harness for rear de-fog.
The bellcrank at the 6 gas pedal is different. It has a "wing" on it that is pushed by the hand throttle rod.
No electric switch on six cyl. tunnel mounted heater lever. Because the six had no heater blower motor. But it does have a very big belt driven heat blower motor !
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 8 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #138

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Forgive me, I'm having trouble taking a picture of it right now. But, I have had a combination gauge for a long time that is reportedly specific to the 6. It has a 914 841 101 10 part number. So, what I'm saying, is that this gauge at least was specific to the 6...

I took it out of storage to sell it recently, then saw this thread.

I'll figure out why I'm not able to take a picture of it and then post it here...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 18 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #139

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

How's this for originality?! The VERY FIRST 914-6 to come off the production line, only 6,237 miles on it (when this picture was taken in 2011)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) All OG, all matching numbers and found in a BARN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I guess this would be VIN 9140430011 w/ engine 901.36 640 0001? Thought this was pretty cool and wanted to share. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hey Tony, if you're here, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Here's where I came across it. Page 5: http://www.sportscardigest.com/porsche-rac...otos/?nggpage=5

Porsche Race Car Classic 2011
The inaugural Porsche Race Car Classic was held Sunday, October 16, 2011 on the grounds of the Quail Lodge in Carmel, California. The Porsche Race Car Classic 2011 honored Porsche cars from 1950-1965 and included purpose-built race cars and production cars with significant race history during that period. They were arranged in 18 groups, with each representing another step in Porsche’s march to the top ranks of the racing world. From Gmünd coupes to the 911–and everything in between–the show field at the Porsche Race Car Classic displayed a wonderful array of the finest examples from the German automaker. Among the highlighted cars were the following:

- Pair of Porsche Typ 540 Aluminum Sport Roadsters
- 1960 Porsche RS60 that was the overall winner at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1960 at the hands of Hans Herrmann and Olivier Gendebien
- Porsche 718 Formula 2 and 804 Formula 1, both from the Porsche Museum
- 1960 Porsche Carrera 2/2000GS GT Coupe from the Porsche Museum
- Both of the 1963 Porsche 2000GS Carrera 2 GT Dreikantschaber in existence
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.8 RSR
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1960 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL driven in 1963 by Gewrhard Koch to class wins at Targa Florio and Nurburgring
- 1961 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL that place first in class at Le Mans, Sebring and Targa Florio
- 1969 Porsche 911 GT factory rally car
- Ex-Pete Lovely 1955 Porsche Cooper “Pooper” that Pete raced to five class wins and the F-Modified National Championship in 1955.
- First Porsche 914/6 factory show car with only 6,237 miles
- Prototype 911R that set world speed records at Monza driven by Jo Siffert, Rico Steinemann, Charles Vogele and Dieter Spoerry

Attached Image

1970 Porsche 914-6 - First of the 3352 produced. Factory show car. Barn find with 6237 miles. Owned by Tony Samojen
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 18 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #140

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

If these two are both #9140430011, then the "before" and "after" photos merit some sort of disclosure as to who did such a fantastic job in preserving the "originality" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:37 AM