Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright, let's talk 914-6 ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SirAndy
So, after having had the pleasure to drive this beautiful, unmolested, all original, 37k miles 914-6 today, i can't help but wonder if we should attempt to list all the differences between an early /6 and early /4 in terms of originality.

I believe it would be of tremendous help to have a list of things "to look for" when doing a PPI on such a time-capsule.

What do ya'all think?
idea.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
i'll start ... biggrin.gif

- it should have a flat /6, 2.0L motor (doh!)
- firewall center engine mount
- no /4 mounts
- factory oil-tank
- different relay board
- "hook" for the oil-line on drivers side rear long
- 911 style ignition switch and column for '70/'71 models
- *no* hole in the front trunk for the /4 air hose to the spare tire
- black "tar" around the front upper shock towers
- different windshield washer bottle
- electric washer pump
- real 5-lug axles
- "914-6" badge
- handthrottle in front of the shifter
- different throttle cable routing, using a tranny mounted pivot
- different paint code on the karman badge
- different VIN, starting with "914" (doh! again)
- no rain-tray under engine lid.
- Dash top has no center vent

- "dogbone" pass. side footrest (did early /4s have those too?) - Yes
- different center console (did early /4s have those too?) - Yes

what else?
idea.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2007, 08:40 PM) *

- it should have a flat /6, 2.0L motor (doh!)
- firewall center engine mount
- no /4 mounts
- factory oil-tank
- different relay board
- "hook" for the oil-line on drivers side rear long
- 911 style ignition switch and column for '70/'71 models
- *no* hole in the front trunk for the /4 air hose to the spare tire
- black "tar" around the front upper shock towers
- different windshield washer bottle
- electric washer pump
- real 5-lug axles
- "914-6" badge
- handthrottle in front of the shifter
- different throttle cable routing, using a tranny mounted pivot
- different paint code on the karman badge
- different VIN, starting with "914" (doh! again)

- "dogbone" pass. side footrest (did early /4s have those too?)
- different center console (did early /4s have those too?)

what else?
idea.gif Andy

That crap is stock? I still have it w/ @ least 3 layers of paint on top of it sad.gif . stromberg.gif !
orthobiz
No plastic drip pan under engine cover.

Paul
BS Chairman
Tool kit
Steel wheels - 6/10solts 4/8solts
Dash top no center vent
Headliner or not for the 6 or 4 ?
Bigger master brake cyl
Different center console (did early /4s have those too?) - yes

confused24.gif
Gary
Pat Garvey
The pass side dogbones were an option on early fours.

Andy.....GREAT thread - way past due!
Pat

ps: what's that strange looking Schwartzeneger kinda 914 in the background of the photo? Hmmm?
Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 22 2007, 05:42 PM) *

No plastic drip pan under engine cover.

good one, i'll add it to the list ... thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jul 22 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Tool kit - what are the differences?
Steel wheels - 6/10solts 4/8solts - good call, anybody got pictures?
Dash top no center vent - added to the list
Headliner or not for the 6 or 4 ? - this car had headliner, so had my '70 /4
Bigger master brake cyl - dunno? anybody?
Different center console (did early /4s have those too?) - yes - ok, list updated
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2007, 11:43 PM) *

Tool kit - what are the differences?

tool kit for the six from previous post. 65-70 911 tool kit w/ 914 towing eye added.
BS Chairman
Steel wheels Yellow 914/6-1970Click to view attachment
Gary
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jul 22 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Headliner or not for the 6 or 4 ?

Gary

My '70/4, build date 01/1970, was delivered w/o the tethered footrest and did not have a headliner.

Another difference between the /4s and /6s.......the brakes!

Paul
Jasfsmith

what else?
idea.gif Andy

My "plain Jayne" '70 914-4 did not have a center console.

Neither the '4 or '6 had a headliner.
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 23 2007, 10:03 AM) *

what else?
idea.gif Andy

My six had no headliner also, but I bought it in 1997 so who knows. Now Dr.914 told me at parade it was the way it came from factory! HELP!!! Who's right.

Gary
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jul 23 2007, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 23 2007, 10:03 AM) *

what else?
idea.gif Andy

My six had no headliner also, but I bought it in 1997 so who knows. Now Dr.914 told me at parade it was the way it came from factory! HELP!!! Who's right.

Gary

You are right. No headliner in the early sixes from the factory. Do not when it changed but all 71 and 72 sixes had a headliner installed
Johny Blackstain
antenna = radio? What kind if I may ask?

BTW: post # 908 biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 23 2007, 03:27 PM) *

It appears that most early 914s, /4 or /6, had a radio/antenna installed by the dealer. I can't remember seing an original early car that didn't have a Hirschman antenna, if one was installed. I'd imagine that the P+A dealer would be more likely to put a Blaupunkt or Becker radio in a /6, as opposed to the dealer installed Motorola that came in my /4.

Paul
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 23 2007, 07:40 PM) *

It appears that most early 914s, /4 or /6, had a radio/antenna installed by the dealer. I can't remember seing an original early car that didn't have a Hirschman antenna, if one was installed. I'd imagine that the P+A dealer would be more likely to put a Blaupunkt or Becker radio in a /6, as opposed to the dealer installed Motorola that came in my /4.

Paul

I'm sportin a Frankfurt USA, or @ least I will be after I pull out the Sacramento CD player. I hope it still works... blink.gif dry.gif

BTW: post # 909 for me biggrin.gif
mikey
You can't see them, but the 914-6 rear axles and CV joints have one more spline than the 914-4s do. (Not much use knowing this for a PPI though)

Rear brake caliper & handbrake is way different than the 914-4.
TJB/914
Hi guys,

I have a serious question. popcorn[1].gif

Can a late 1970 914-6 with a 0 after the 914 on the vin # and titled as a 1971 be converted to a factory 1971 M-471 option car????
Example: vin # 91404321?? (late#'s) and titled as 1971 be a real 1971???

Inquiring minds want to know, because I know of a 914-6 that's for sale??? Need answer ASAP.

Wolfgang are you interested?? unsure.gif

Tom
Gustl
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 25 2007, 05:22 AM) *

Hi guys,

Can a late 1970 914-6 with a 0 after the 914 on the vin # and titled as a 1971 be converted to a factory 1971 M-471 option car????

Inquiring minds want to know, because I know of a 914-6 that's for sale??? Need answer ASAP.

Tom

Tom, it might be my lack of knowing english, but unfortunately I didn't get the point of your question - I've no idea what you're asking confused24.gif sad.gif

but the VIN you showed is incomplete

there is always a rumor, that the factory might have built M471 cars in MY'70 (914.0.43.xxxx), but only at special request - not as a standard procedure
remember - they also built the competition cars from the very beginning of the production
BUT - there's no proove yet

for sure - if there is a MY'70 914-6 with the M471 option, I would be the 1st who's interested in boldblue.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Rusty
The shift linkage cover (a small boxy looking thing) at the transmission is a different part on a 914-6... and the part is NLA!
mikey
I've been told that the original interior mirror on a 914-6 is smaller (like looking through a mail slot) than a 914-4 mirror.

I've got two of them and they both are shot, so if anyone knows where to get one in good shape let me know.
Gustl
QUOTE(mikey @ Jul 25 2007, 08:09 AM) *

I've been told that the original interior mirror on a 914-6 is smaller (like looking through a mail slot) than a 914-4 mirror.

I might be wrong, but AFAIK this is not a "914-4 vs 914-6", but a "early cars vs late cars" thing idea.gif
mikey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 25 2007, 12:52 AM) *

I might be wrong, but AFAIK this is not a "914-4 vs 914-6", but a "early cars vs late cars" thing idea.gif

Great! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Hopefully that will make it easier to find a good one!
clap56.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 24 2007, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 25 2007, 05:22 AM) *

Hi guys,

Tom

Tom, it might be my lack of knowing english, but unfortunately I didn't get the point of your question - I've no idea what you're asking confused24.gif sad.gif

but the VIN you showed is incomplete

there is always a rumor, that the factory might have built M471 cars in MY'70 (914.0.43.xxxx), but only at special request - not as a standard procedure
remember - they also built the competition cars from the very beginning of the production
BUT - there's no proove yet

for sure - if there is a MY'70 914-6 with the M471 option, I would be the 1st who's interested in boldblue.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

Hi Wolfgang,

I didn't want to list the owners full vin # for security reasons. What I was trying to find out if a late 1970 vin # on an original 6 that sold in 1971 is a true factory 1971?

It was titled with a 1971 title when sold in early to mid 1971 with a 1970 vin #. My question, is it a true 1971?? The reason for asking, I understand the M-471 option is a true factory option from Porsche on 1971 & 72 models only? This car does not have flares or anything M-471, but I am interested if it could be made into a real factory M-471 option car.

Tom
Gustl
o.k. - now it's clear to me

as you know, the
MY'70 started somewhen in August 1969 and lasted to about June 1970
and the
MY'71 started somewhen in August 1970 and lasted to about June 1971
(btw - does anybody know the exact dates ??)

if it has a 914.0.43.xxxx VIN, it should be built before July 1970

a helpful, additional info would be the Karmann body number - with this, we can determine the exact day of the body production

when you tell us, that the car in question was sold in early to mid 1971, I don't think that this will make it a 1971 car
it seems more likely to me, that it was a nonseller

I know a guy, who has a 1968 Renault, which was sold by a Renault dealer in 1976 - that's a real nonseller laugh.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
TJB/914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 25 2007, 05:40 AM) *

o.k. - now it's clear to me

as you know, the
MY'70 started somewhen in August 1969 and lasted to about June 1970
and the
MY'71 started somewhen in August 1970 and lasted to about June 1971
(btw - does anybody know the exact dates ??)

if it has a 914.0.43.xxxx VIN, it should be built before July 1970

a helpful, additional info would be the Karmann body number - with this, we can determine the exact day of the body production

when you tell us, that the car in question was sold in early to mid 1971, I don't think that this will make it a 1971 car
it seems more likely to me, that it was a nonseller

I know a guy, who has a 1968 Renault, which was sold by a Renault dealer in 1976 - that's a real nonseller laugh.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

Hi Gustl.

You are correct, this is really a 1970 that was a nonseller and finally sold in 1971 & titled with a 1971 title. Thank's for your input. You are one of our 914-6 expert students and your knowledge is valuable to this forum. pray.gif Your information was also confirmed by a personal friend (Gary) this morning. I got more information on this car & it will probably surface FS in the classified's soon. I am going to pass for various reasons. Watch for it, it's a repaint black over green & very original with 56K orig. miles. Price ????

Tom

Gustl
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 25 2007, 05:30 PM) *
Hi Gustl.

You are correct, this is really a 1970 that was a nonseller and finally sold in 1971 & titled with a 1971 title. Thank's for your input. You are one of our 914-6 expert students and your knowledge is valuable to this forum. pray.gif Your information was also confirmed by a personal friend (Gary) this morning. I got more information on this car & it will probably surface FS in the classified's soon. I am going to pass for various reasons. Watch for it, it's a repaint black over green & very original with 56K orig. miles. Price ????

Tom

Hi Tom,

many thanks for your kind words.

I'd love to see it in the classifieds. If the overall condition is good, I'd expect a price between 30~33k. Although, the repaint in non-original colour might dampen the price?
We'll see ...

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
The VIN is the true indicator of the model year. Date of title means nearly nothing.

Andy, to modify your list, the paint code changed to the VW 914/4 code about 9141430400. There is an exact changeover listed officially, however we all know that the bodies were painted in a different sequence from the VIN. That is why there was a changeover period for the body number styles in 1975 model year.
Pat Garvey
It is so refreshing to see the six people come out ot the woodwork! Please, keep it up. And please - don't forget the nailed areas for pics - please. History here & we don't want to miss it!

Pat
mikey
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 25 2007, 12:52 AM) *

Verified with John at EASY today... the difference in mirror shape is an "early car vs late car" thing not a "6 vs 4" thing.
sixerdon
OK Guys, I'm back after a long absence. I can discuss the "six" issue until I drop.

Getting back to SirAndy's original statement,"things to look for" when comparing an early original /6 to an early original /4.

Brakes were mentioned as being different. To elaborate further, the /6 has a 19mm MC and the /4's have a 17mm. The /6's have vented front rotors and larger calipers in the front right from the 911T. The /4's are solid rotors and smaller calipers. The rear rotors and calipers on a /6 are larger and unique /6 components. They are not interchangeable with a /4 without a major overhaul.
The e-brake system is shared between the /6 and /4 for the early years.

Visually, don't forget that the steering column on a six is unique to itself. Other than the horn pad everything is different including the 3 speed wiper arm on the right side of the column. The early /4's have a knob on the dash panel.

And we can't forget the gauges. Nothing is shared with any of the /4's.

At the time of introduction, any of the 5-1/2 inch wheels (steel, chrome, Fuchs 14" and Mahle's) supplied by Porsche for a 911 would fit the /6. Remember the best tire size of the day for Porsche was a 185/70.

Also, the transmissions were different. The /6 had 3 different gears. 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.

Everything mentioned here can be found in the 914 factory parts manual.
Enjoy. "There is no substitute"

Don
xsurfer
I believe there is a rubber "anti bump" device on the six engine cover to prevent the trunk from hitting it. Brakes are different, window washing different, Chrome bumpers (back is shaped differently)

McMark
Anti-bump rubber was for all early rain try models.
Angular chrome bumpers were for all 1970 models.

Good thinking though! Gotta catch all those little ones.
davep
The north american cars have the VIN on a plate in the front windshield. The 914/6 numbers are recessed into the plate while the 914/4 numbers are raised.

The dash on the 914/6 had its own serial number similar to the 914/6 body number, while the 914/4 had the same number as the body.

The wiring harness was different due to all the electrical differences, and of course there were differences in the body most due to engine mounting. There was also the hump in the rear trunk if you had the Sportomatic option.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 24 2007, 06:44 PM) *

There was also the hump in the rear trunk if you had the Sportomatic option.

i don't think that was unique to the /6. the early /4s have the same placeholder where the sporto hump goes and there's factory literature that suggests that the sporto was an option for the /4s as well ...

bye1.gif Andy
davep
Yeah, yeah.

But show me a 914/4 Sportomatic, PLEASE!

I'm pretty sure a prototype was made judging from information in the literature I have. However there is no evidence to suggest even one production car was ever built. We do know that about 25 914/6 had this option.

poke.gif

On another note, can anyone explain what possible differences a 914/6 front strut would have compared to a 911 front strut? The 914/6 strut had a 914 part #, but why? The 914/6 front suspension was almost completely different from the 914/4. Stuts, A-arms, torsion bars, brake system were the same as or similar to the 911.
T H O M A S
i looked at 4 914/6 and they all had the hole for the airhose in the front trunk
picture of my /6 with the factory plug
T H O M A S
the /6 drive shaft has less splines,left is /4 ,right is /6
T H O M A S
/6 cv has a notch ,left is /4 right is /6
T H O M A S
transmission case on the /6 has a 911 #,same case as 911/01 70 and 71 only
T H O M A S
the hump is missing on /6 rear calipers ,left is /4 ,right is /6 in this picture
MoveQik
Ignition key location?
sixerdon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 19 2007, 03:38 PM) *

Ignition key location?

Yes, indeed. The ignition switch is on the dash to the left of the steering column for '70 & '71 sixes. Unless you own a rare '72 six with the switch back on the column.

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 24 2007, 08:44 PM) *

The north american cars have the VIN on a plate in the front windshield. The 914/6 numbers are recessed into the plate while the 914/4 numbers are raised.

This is so interesting! Very logical too.

Never picked that out before!

This thread may be "oh, yeah, I know that" to sixers, but me, a "fourer", it is a very good education!

Thanks guys & keep it coming!

Pat
mel reckling
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 19 2007, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 19 2007, 03:38 PM) *

Ignition key location?

Yes, indeed. The ignition switch is on the dash to the left of the steering column for '70 & '71 sixes. Unless you own a rare '72 six with the switch back on the column.

Don

One of them 72s you speak of.

6freak
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 23 2007, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 23 2007, 03:27 PM) *

Paul

My 1970 914-6 as no radio therefor no antenna no holes for it and the dash weave thingy is one solid piece from the colume too the glove box (no seams).One hole for the lighter and a square hole for the heater controls. I heard that was rare??flag.gif
6freak
QUOTE(T H O M A S @ Sep 4 2007, 09:17 PM) *

the hump is missing on /6 rear calipers ,left is /4 ,right is /6 in this picture

Double bleeders on the 4 model!!!
Lavanaut
Didn't see that anyone had yet mentioned the fact the that Fours have the "hub-centric" rotor, with the integrated hub/rotor assembly. Hopefully I've got that terminology correct...

Quick aside ~ I'm looking for a thread similar to this, but one that compares the differences of the Sixes across the '70-'72 model years. Does one exist?

thanks
70Sixter
Try RoadGlue. There is a lot of historical info. And a list of known -6s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.