Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alright, let's talk 914-6 ...
rgalla9146
post Feb 15 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Muffler hangars for 6 and 914 2.0 appear the same but differ in a small detail and have different part numbers.
6 cyl. 901 111 152 00
4 cyl. 039 251 067
Notice the angle of the ends.
The 4 is cut on an angle to reach the bolt below the inside exhaust tube.
The 6 is square because the inside bolt is on the side of the exhaust flange.
Also the slot for the 6 is larger ... for a 10 mm bolt ...4 cyl an 8mm bolt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Sep 18 2015, 04:01 AM
Post #162

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

.... Neither the '4 or '6 had a headliner.
My six had no headliner also, but I bought it in 1997 so who knows. Now Dr.914 told me at parade it was the way it came from factory! HELP!!! Who's right.
You are right. No headliner in the early sixes from the factory. Do not when it changed but all 71 and 72 sixes had a headliner installed

The "Headliner" you were discussing is the felt carpet at the inner side of the targa roof, I think.

Well, I also have such a carpet in mine, which is a MY 70, with a realtive high production number. Apart from this I think the car got a later roof during restoration in the states. Are there some more differences of the roof between the MYs from 1970 on?

I'm not sure if it is a complete targa roof of a later MY 914 or somebody has sticked in a carpet/headliner.....

The carpet looks very wavy now, that is why I have to do anything. Throwing out (a) or "restoring" it (b)? Alternative (a) would also raise the question regarding the glue. How to clear the rests of that?
Restoring it with a new headliner...how/where to get the original felt (of a "6" MY71 then?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Kaeferfreund
+Quote Post
914-6-GT
post Jan 12 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 19,549

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 25 2007, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 25 2007, 05:22 AM) *

Hi guys,

I have a serious question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Can a late 1970 914-6 with a 0 after the 914 on the vin # and titled as a 1971 be converted to a factory 1971 M-471 option car????
Example: vin # 91404321?? (late#'s) and titled as 1971 be a real 1971???

Inquiring minds want to know, because I know of a 914-6 that's for sale??? Need answer ASAP.

Wolfgang are you interested?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Tom

Tom, it might be my lack of knowing english, but unfortunately I didn't get the point of your question - I've no idea what you're asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

but the VIN you showed is incomplete

there is always a rumor, that the factory might have built M471 cars in MY'70 (914.0.43.xxxx), but only at special request - not as a standard procedure
remember - they also built the competition cars from the very beginning of the production
BUT - there's no proove yet

for sure - if there is a MY'70 914-6 with the M471 option, I would be the 1st who's interested in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Gustl

My car for example 914-043-1340 had the M-471 on it back in 1972 when I first saw it. Whether or not it was done at the factory or at the dealer I couldn't tell you. But those flares were on the car along with a few other racing things back as early as 1972.

I was 4 at the time and the car was my across the street neighbor's car for a number of years before he passed away.

Back then he always either parked it in our drive way or in front of our house so he would not get a ticket for having it on his side of the street when the street sweepers came by.

The original owner would often take me for rides, as I kept bugging the hell out him just like my own kid bugs the hell out of me to take him out in my Viper.

I simply would not take NO from the guy and he would always cheerfully take me for a spin.

After one of those rides, my mother clearly remembers me telling her momma one day I'm going to have a Porsche like that and a blonde with big boobs.

The original owner had an outrageously beautiful blonde girlfriend with amazing boobs very hard to ignore even at a young age. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thankfully I grew out of the blonde with big boob thing in my 20's and found me a hot Filpina. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I got the car in early 1982 and had it til Dec 1986 when my dad sold it.

He got pissed at me for running up his phone bill to double of what his mortgage was trying to get parts out of Germany. Back then there was no internet no nothing, all we had back then were German magazines so you can imagine trying to communicate with someone not knowing how to speak German.

I was a teen back then so don't laugh. Kids do stupid shit, and I was no different.

In August 2005 I found her in a barn after an extensive almost 15+ year hunt.

I had her totally restored and a few bad things happened along the way that were out of my control where she's gone again.

The person that was working on her concocted a story that I had died to the most recent owner, and sold the car illegally without my knowledge.

I know she was sold because of the eBay ad in late November led me to speak with Kevin in Idaho who ended up selling her to a dealer in NY last month (12/15).

Now I'm on the hunt to get her back, she is rightfully mine and I hope to grow old and die owning my little car.

I have it written in my will when I die my 914 is going to lead my funeral procession. After I'm laid to rest my son will get a cd with a video message from me along with the keys.

I posted a thread here, please go look at it and if any of you guys see or hear ANYTHING about my car please let me know. There's been quite a few people talking "Little Lilac" over the past few weeks.

Thanks in advance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jan 17 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #164

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

re: 914-043-1340 here it is/was in Advert - pictures include the body shell with the flares apparently being welded on during - (claimed) - 2013 Build by Patrick Motorsports,

http://topclassicsforsale.com/porsche/6651...rsche-9146.html

. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/topclassicsforsale.com-65-1453012039.1.jpg)

that does not correspond to the story that it had flares in 1972

it is also in Lee's list - so ask him what info he has
"If you find your VIN on this list, send an email to llee50@stny.rr.com with the VIN and I will send you whatever information I have on your car."
http://p914-6info.net/list_file-4-column.htm

QUOTE(914-6-GT @ Jan 12 2016, 04:38 PM) *
My car for example 914-043-1340 had the M-471 on it back in 1972 when I first saw it. Whether or not it was done at the factory or at the dealer I couldn't tell you. But those flares were on the car along with a few other racing things back as early as 1972.
+Quote Post
bruinbro
post Oct 15 2016, 02:49 AM
Post #165

Member No.: 6,685

Newbie on this forum, previous -6 owner.

I'm buying 1970 -6 (from Leamon, if you know him it's the black one). I'm on the hunt for the matching engine and intend to return it to it's original color. What I would like to know if adding steel flares would reduce the car's value. If not, I would like to do that prior to the repaint while I have it stripped.

Wonderful website, I'm happy I can be back in the 914-6 world.

Thanks,
Steve
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 16 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bruinbro @ Oct 15 2016, 12:49 AM) *

I'm buying 1970 -6 (from Leamon, if you know him it's the black one). I'm on the hunt for the matching engine and intend to return it to it's original color. What I would like to know if adding steel flares would reduce the car's value. If not, I would like to do that prior to the repaint while I have it stripped.

Thanks,
Steve

Congrats, that's a xlint car. If you want a flared 914 then you bought the wrong car.....don't mess with a 6. As for the paint and finding the original engine my advise is to drive it and enjoy it for at least a year. Leamon is a walking 914 encyclopedia so I would make him your new best friend.
Hope to see you at events.
+Quote Post
DM71SIX
post Nov 17 2016, 08:27 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 4,893

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 16 2016, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(bruinbro @ Oct 15 2016, 12:49 AM) *

Thanks,
Steve

Congrats, that's a xlint car. If you want a flared 914 then you bought the wrong car.....don't mess with a 6. As for the paint and finding the original engine my advise is to drive it and enjoy it for at least a year. Leamon is a walking 914 encyclopedia so I would make him your new best friend.
Hope to see you at events.

Originality is the key to value, especially with the 914 as people cannot keep from modifying these cars. A true original is extremely rare as I just finished restoring an unmodified 914-6 numbers matching Euro car which I have had since 1991. We redid everything and used NOS parts and original materials. I documented everything down to every nut and bolt. The original wheels are not on the car now, but stored for shows DanielAttached Image
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 21 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 3,069

Hi have just found this very helpful info I see that there was a link there to check vin number for vehicle history it has expired now is there still a way to find this out. would be nice to know were my 914-6 was before it got to Australia.

Thanks
+Quote Post
DM71SIX
post Mar 22 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #169

Member No.: 4,893

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 21 2017, 08:29 PM) *

Hi have just found this very helpful info I see that there was a link there to check vin number for vehicle history it has expired now is there still a way to find this out. would be nice to know were my 914-6 was before it got to Australia.

Thanks

My vin is in the data base on the club site. My car was purchased in Germany by a serviceman and brought to the US by him. It went to Gunnar racing, then the crew chief, then me.
+Quote Post
pete000
post May 23 2017, 12:42 AM
Post #170

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

914-6 NOS fuel lines for the engine compartment.

NOS and NFS !

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
EJ1970914/6
post Feb 19 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 21,555
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 15 2015, 10:12 PM) *

Muffler hangars for 6 and 914 2.0 appear the same but differ in a small detail and have different part numbers.
6 cyl. 901 111 152 00
4 cyl. 039 251 067
Notice the angle of the ends.
The 4 is cut on an angle to reach the bolt below the inside exhaust tube.
The 6 is square because the inside bolt is on the side of the exhaust flange.
Also the slot for the 6 is larger ... for a 10 mm bolt ...4 cyl an 8mm bolt

Thumbs up !
+Quote Post
David Billo
post Mar 18 2019, 06:47 AM
Post #172

Member No.: 21,625
Region Association: Canada

Here's something I've noticed from following many restoration threads on the forum:

Sometimes, I notice a set of anchors on the floor pan, located each side of the tunnel and near the firewall. They look like seat belt anchors but I've never seen a picture of anything fastened to them, and there is always also the typical seatbelt anchors on the sides of the tunnel. I have not really checked, but I think I only see them on the floor pans of factory sixes. They are not on my four.

Anybody know what these are for, and if it is unique to sixes?

See attached pics. The topside one is Cairo's six, which we know is a factory six. The underside one, well I forget where that came from, so I don't know for sure what it is. I see the cutouts in the longs where the four cylinder engine mounts would go.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Mar 18 2019, 08:55 AM
Post #173

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Early cars were listed as "3- seater" and had option for center seat belt. I believe those are for the lap belt attachment points for the center seat belt. Omitted in '72
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 27 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #174

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 18 2019, 07:55 AM) *

Early cars were listed as "3- seater" and had option for center seat belt. I believe those are for the lap belt attachment points for the center seat belt. Omitted in '72

That is correct, those are the mounting holes for the 3rd center seatbelt.

Not unique to the /6, all early chassis had the 3rd seat option ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 22 2019, 07:34 AM
Post #175

Member No.: 7,170

Getting ready to put my six back together. I had some parts powder coated a few years ago, but my struts were incorrectly plated grey. My understanding is that the struts were essentially 69 911 T struts. Would that make them Boge (black) or Bilstein (green)? And would it not be a good idea to upgrade the front suspension to 3.5 inch Konis (orange) and S calipers? My rear shocks are orange Konis, are they original? My rear trailing arms need to be refinished also...I presume black?
I am also going to run a lot of hardware to be plated. Is there an easy rule of thumb as to what hardware should be yellow zinc vs white zinc? If there is a thread, please send me the link.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 22 2019, 07:45 AM
Post #176

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

914-6 struts were grey.

@speedo

An easy upgrade (recommended by Eric Shea) would be to use Alfa Romeo aluminum Brembo front calipers. Bolt right on to 3" calipers, cuts weight in half and pads are almost the same size as S calipers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Apr 22 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #177

Member No.: 7,170

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2019, 05:45 AM) *

914-6 struts were grey.

@speedo

An easy upgrade (recommended by Eric Shea) would be to use Alfa Romeo aluminum Brembo front calipers. Bolt right on to 3" calipers, cuts weight in half and pads are almost the same size as S calipers.

Thanks! A good source for the AR Brembo calipers? If I remember the previous owner was using Willwood calipers?
Glad I didn't attempt to rattlecan the struts a different color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Who manufactured the struts...so that I can get inserts?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 22 2019, 07:34 PM
Post #178

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Speedo @ Apr 22 2019, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 22 2019, 05:45 AM) *

914-6 struts were grey.

@speedo

Thanks! A good source for the AR Brembo calipers? If I remember the previous owner was using Willwood calipers?
Glad I didn't attempt to rattlecan the struts a different color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Who manufactured the struts...so that I can get inserts?

They are Boge struts that will take Bilstein inserts.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Apr 23 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #179

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

PMB has re-released the 3" Alfa style Brembo calipers after eating up every core he could find in the Alfa world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 23 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #180

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Some interesting original details for absolute correct restoration.
Notice the black paint on the inside ends of the muffler valence.
Ignore the extra hole in the one valence.
Notice the 3M dumdum in the corners of the engine seals to prevent air leaks.
Also staples to attach the rubbers to each other in the corners,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:40 PM