Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Opinions on 1973 914 1.7 Restoration, Please offer your opinions and guidance on this car...
kfieler
post Jul 26 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached ImageAttached Image

I just picked-up this complete, unmolested 1973 914 1.7 for $400.00 (US) in California's Mojave Desert. It is not running and the previous owner claims the car has not been started in ten years… claiming that the engine cranks but does not start.

This is my first adventure into the world of Porsche. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with some expertise and opinions... PLEASE!

Before I slap-in a battery and try to start the car for the first time, I would like to know if there is a pre-start procedure I should follow or work I should perform before starting this car for the first time. Any thoughts?

The vacuum hoses are shot and I would like to replace them and I feel an urge to replace all the fuel hoses as well.

In your opinion:

1. Should I use stock "OEM" vacuum hoses or should I maybe use something "sportier" (i.e. colored silicone vacuum lines)?

2. What would you recommend for fuel hoses?

3. Can you recommend a good on-line supplier for vacuum and fuel hoses?

In the second photo, you will notice the top flange on the “rubber elbow” that attaches to the air cleaner assembly (see arrow) has been torn-off. I have the flange and clamp and am wondering if there is a way to glue the flange back on? If not, can anyone recommend where I may find a replacement elbow?

I noticed that the fuel injectors on this car are “GREEN” and I have read that green injectors are for a 2.0. I have verified that this engine (EB003960) is a 1.7 and have read that 1.7 injectors are supposed to be “YELLOW”. Is this true and can I expect to have problems with 2.0 injectors on a 1.7 engine?

In your opinion, was $400.00 for this “rust-free” southern California car a good deal (even though it is not running)? Any idea what it is worth in its current condition? The interior is in great shape and the only notable rust I’ve found is superficial and non-structural (i.e. surface rust on the battery tray).

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can afford! I look forward to getting this car on the road!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:48 PM