Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deka Battery, Anyone use one of these?
restore2seater
post Jul 31 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Future 914 copilot.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,037
Region Association: None

Over on one of the Mopar boards I visit there is a thread about what type of batteries to use. Some like to use Optima and others say they have had problems with them. One of the members said he uses a Deka battery.
Does anyone know anything about them or use one? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swl
post Jul 31 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

It looks like the Deka are wet batteries. The appeal of the Optima is that it is gel and won't leak.
+Quote Post
tmh75
post Jul 31 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,506

I had a deka come with my honda generator it lasted less than 3 years and was completely dead. Went to get a new one and my flaps could not even cross reference it.

does that help? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Jul 31 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #4

Future 914 copilot.

QUOTE(swl @ Jul 31 2007, 08:39 AM) *

It looks like the Deka are wet batteries. The appeal of the Optima is that it is gel and won't leak.

I'm not sure but this may be something similar to an Optima. Intimidator
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Jul 31 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #5

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

DEKA is just another wet-cell battery. We have an old motorcycle DEKA laying around our shop. It's been dead for a long time.
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Jul 31 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #6

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Deka . com

Twystd1
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 31 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

In my opinion (I know, less that $.02 worth) if you just want a solid proven product (and don't even consider an non-sealed battery in a 914), use an Odyssey PC680 (small and light), or if you run accessories/lights than need extra reserve power then go with an Optima.

Lots of other products get talked about, and it's cool to experiment and share experiences with other products. But I don't think there's really anything significantly better.
+Quote Post
eg914
post Aug 1 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,223

As an alternative to the Optima, I have been using a Miata battery from AutoZone for the last year. It is an AGM battery. Started the car fine all winter. It hasn't given me any trouble. I think I paid about $80, but my memory is not reliable. I know I bought it because it was cheaper than the Optima, and readily available.
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Aug 1 2007, 07:28 AM
Post #9

Future 914 copilot.

Looking around on their website I found this Gel battery. It says it's for marine use but I don't know why you couldn't use it for a car as long as the CCA is high enough.
I'm not looking into buying a battery just yet. Car is a ways from being on the road. Just a little curious about options.
I have read some threads about Optima's where guys are not having them last as long as they should. Some are getting only a year or two and others are getting 5 or more.
They were bought out by another company about 6 years ago and I don't know if maybe the quality is not as good or maybe more people are buying them and I'm hearing about more of the problems but the percentage of problems is about the same.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 1 2007, 09:32 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Aug 1 2007, 05:28 AM) *

Looking around on their website I found this Gel battery. It says it's for marine use but I don't know why you couldn't use it for a car as long as the CCA is high enough.
I'm not looking into buying a battery just yet. Car is a ways from being on the road. Just a little curious about options.
I have read some threads about Optima's where guys are not having them last as long as they should. Some are getting only a year or two and others are getting 5 or more.
They were bought out by another company about 6 years ago and I don't know if maybe the quality is not as good or maybe more people are buying them and I'm hearing about more of the problems but the percentage of problems is about the same.

Marine batteries are supposed to be able to take deeper charge / drain cycles. Other batteries are "starting" batteries and don't like to be deep cycled. The optima yellow is a deep cycle "marine" battery. The red top is a "starting" battery.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 08:46 PM