Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What you should NEVER do to a 914..., Sins of a Previous Owner:
kfieler
post Jul 31 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached Image
1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

The only saving grace to this complete car is that it has been sitting in the Mojave Desert and, at quick inspection, I didn't see any serious (obvious) rust issues. As soon as the owner can produce the paperwork and keys, I'm going to trailer the car home. The price was right... FREE! I was told by the previous owner: "Just come pick-it-up!" Wish me luck!

And now, never - ever...

1. Allow your 914 to receive minimal body damage (rear end) and not fix it immediately;

2. Put "MONSTER EYES" stickers on your rear window;

3. Even if you are a fireman and are really proud of your job, don't hang a "FIRE DEPARTMENT" badge below your rear license plate frame;

4. Don't put plastic "Wal-Mart" wheel covers on a Porsche... EVER (yes, this car comes with a set of 4);

5. Don't take a 914 daily driver - in running and driving condition - and just park it in the back yard (for ten years) thinking "someday, I'm going to fix-up my car", then:

5a. Leave a 914 uncovered with the window rolled-down and the engine compartment open to the elements (and so field mice can nest and poop all over everything and chew-up interior / wires, etc.);

5b. Let the tires rot off of the car to the point wherein they will no longer hold air;

5c. Allow the paint to deteriorate to the point wherein surface rust starts to appear;

5d. Let the registration lapse for ten (10) years in California without filing a non-op with the DMV;

5e. Misplace the title and keys to your car.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 31 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #2

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bust on a guy who just gave me a free 914.
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Jul 31 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #3

kfieler

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 31 2007, 03:29 PM) *

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bust on a guy who just gave me a free 914.

Zymurgist:

You've got a point there... it is kinda' like "looking the gift horse in the mouth". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) You'll have to admit, however, that it is sad that the car was left to the elements... it was supposedly in pretty good shape before it was parked (left to rot). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jul 31 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #4

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

I'm staying clear of any 914 with the word, "fire" on it.

=)

Free is free.

The owner can have his pink re-issued, right?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 31 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(kfieler @ Jul 31 2007, 01:35 PM) *

1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

'74, so it's either a 1.8L or a 2.0L ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 31 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I kinda like the WM caps - not as good as my Whitney 911 knockoffs, but they have a certain...um..."taste de la anus" about them.

But - it was all FREE!! Know how many bucks can be made from "free"?

You can "free" me all day, every day!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 31 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Just hope that the "real owner" doesn't come along and have you arrested for stealing his car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Oh, wait--that one isn't nearly rusted out enough for that to happen!

--DD
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 1 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #8

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Yup, make sure you have a pink. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 1 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #9

kfieler

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 31 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Just hope that the "real owner" doesn't come along and have you arrested for stealing his car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Oh, wait--that one isn't nearly rusted out enough for that to happen!

--DD

Here is the deal... the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

I am definitely interested in the "FREE" car. However, I am NOT touching it WITHOUT proper documentation. I am certain that, one way or the other, we can get that handled (yes, the PO - if motivated - can have the Calif. DMV issue a new title).

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 1 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #10

Resident German

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 1 2007, 08:06 AM) *

the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

wow, that sounds all too familiar ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Aug 1 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #11

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 10:38 AM) *

the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/212.gif) I was thinking the same thing....Deja Vu
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 1 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

SoCal desert, no less. Yeah, it sounds EXACTLY all too familiar. Run away!!

-Jen
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 1 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #13

kfieler

QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 10:38 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/212.gif) I was thinking the same thing....Deja Vu

Hey Andy & 914 Girl:

Please help me with this one, because I am not "in" on the "inside joke". What is meant by this story sounding "all too familiar"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Are you folks leading me to believe that it is a fairly common situation to have cars offered but without documentation? Am I not correct in wanting the title before picking-up the car? Please let me know if I am overlooking something... Obviously, I need the keys and I would not feel comfortable picking-up a car that I couldn't easily transfer the title into my name. Thanks for helping a "newbie"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 1 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #14

kfieler

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 12:09 PM) *

SoCal desert, no less. Yeah, it sounds EXACTLY all too familiar. Run away!!

-Jen

Jen:

Help me out here. I don't understand why I should "run away". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I live ten miles from where this car sits. I've seen it (photographed it) in person. If I can get the keys and title for the vehicle, why should I not pick it up? Please explain your concerns that I could be making a mistake! Thanks for helping a "newbie"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 1 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a few months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

Jen

edit: This is as I remembered it. May not be exactly what happened, but pretty damn close, IIRC.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 1 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #16

Resident German

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 11:14 AM) *

a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a couple months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) exact same story as yours.

son sees "his" car featured in a magazine a couple of month later and goes haywire and the new owner ends up in jail ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 1 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #17

kfieler

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 12:14 PM) *

a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a couple months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

Jen

Ah, I see! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Thanks for the info! Well, that would explain some of the comments I've received with this post. As I said before, I've got no intention of trailering the car until such time as I have appropriate documentation (a pink slip).

I guess if the PO / PO's Mother wants the car gone bad enough, she'll produce a key and a pink slip! Thanks for your input! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Aug 1 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #18

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249

I don't think you have anything to worry about with this car. Just make sure you get the proper title and keys.

...plus the car you are looking at does not have the same uniqueness that prompted the published article of the aformentioned 'familiar story'.

Or get them to put in writing that neither of them will change their mind about the sale of this car and sue you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

But seriously, that case was VERY UNIQUE.

BTW-- what's the VIN? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 1 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 11:29 AM) *

...plus the car you are looking at does not have the same uniqueness that prompted the published article of the aformentioned 'familiar story'.

Aw, c'mon!! Monster eyes are totally unique!

Jen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 1 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #20

kfieler

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 11:14 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) exact same story as yours.

son sees "his" car featured in a magazine a couple of month later and goes haywire and the new owner ends up in jail ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) Andy

Andy:

Thanks for your input! I WILL NOT pick-up the car until I have keys and a title!

Say, in your earlier response, you indicated that the car (as a 1974) would be either a 1.8 or 2.0. I agree.

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the engine number during my quick trip to see the car so I don't have a firm ID on the engine. However, the VIN number (4742919111) indicates that it is a 1974 model year. The strange thing is that, on the rear of the car, it is "badged" as a "1.7".

Could someone have put a "1.7" badge on this car or do you know if any 914's were made after 1973?

The engine on the 1974 does look a bit different than my 1973 1.7.

Thanks for your help!

- Keith
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:45 AM