Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What you should NEVER do to a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment
1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

The only saving grace to this complete car is that it has been sitting in the Mojave Desert and, at quick inspection, I didn't see any serious (obvious) rust issues. As soon as the owner can produce the paperwork and keys, I'm going to trailer the car home. The price was right... FREE! I was told by the previous owner: "Just come pick-it-up!" Wish me luck!

And now, never - ever...

1. Allow your 914 to receive minimal body damage (rear end) and not fix it immediately;

2. Put "MONSTER EYES" stickers on your rear window;

3. Even if you are a fireman and are really proud of your job, don't hang a "FIRE DEPARTMENT" badge below your rear license plate frame;

4. Don't put plastic "Wal-Mart" wheel covers on a Porsche... EVER (yes, this car comes with a set of 4);

5. Don't take a 914 daily driver - in running and driving condition - and just park it in the back yard (for ten years) thinking "someday, I'm going to fix-up my car", then:

5a. Leave a 914 uncovered with the window rolled-down and the engine compartment open to the elements (and so field mice can nest and poop all over everything and chew-up interior / wires, etc.);

5b. Let the tires rot off of the car to the point wherein they will no longer hold air;

5c. Allow the paint to deteriorate to the point wherein surface rust starts to appear;

5d. Let the registration lapse for ten (10) years in California without filing a non-op with the DMV;

5e. Misplace the title and keys to your car.

zymurgist
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bust on a guy who just gave me a free 914.
kfieler
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 31 2007, 03:29 PM) *

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't bust on a guy who just gave me a free 914.

Zymurgist:

You've got a point there... it is kinda' like "looking the gift horse in the mouth". agree.gif You'll have to admit, however, that it is sad that the car was left to the elements... it was supposedly in pretty good shape before it was parked (left to rot). dry.gif
Dr. Roger
I'm staying clear of any 914 with the word, "fire" on it.

=)

Free is free.

The owner can have his pink re-issued, right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(kfieler @ Jul 31 2007, 01:35 PM) *

1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

'74, so it's either a 1.8L or a 2.0L ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
I kinda like the WM caps - not as good as my Whitney 911 knockoffs, but they have a certain...um..."taste de la anus" about them.

But - it was all FREE!! Know how many bucks can be made from "free"?

You can "free" me all day, every day!
Dave_Darling
Just hope that the "real owner" doesn't come along and have you arrested for stealing his car.... wink.gif

Oh, wait--that one isn't nearly rusted out enough for that to happen!

--DD
So.Cal.914
Yup, make sure you have a pink. av-943.gif
kfieler
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 31 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Just hope that the "real owner" doesn't come along and have you arrested for stealing his car.... wink.gif

Oh, wait--that one isn't nearly rusted out enough for that to happen!

--DD

Here is the deal... the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

I am definitely interested in the "FREE" car. However, I am NOT touching it WITHOUT proper documentation. I am certain that, one way or the other, we can get that handled (yes, the PO - if motivated - can have the Calif. DMV issue a new title).

Thanks! smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 1 2007, 08:06 AM) *

the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

wow, that sounds all too familiar ...
blink.gif Andy
GTeener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 10:38 AM) *

the car has been offered to me by an elderly woman who claims that her son parked his car in HER back yard ten years ago. He was going to "fix it up" but, instead, went-on to bigger and better things. She is now selling her home and wants the car "gone". She claims to have had possession of the pink slip and keys, but is having a difficult time finding them. I have had no contact with her son, the presumed last registered owner of the car.

blink.gif Andy

212.gif I was thinking the same thing....Deja Vu
Jenny
SoCal desert, no less. Yeah, it sounds EXACTLY all too familiar. Run away!!

-Jen
kfieler
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 10:38 AM) *

blink.gif Andy

212.gif I was thinking the same thing....Deja Vu

Hey Andy & 914 Girl:

Please help me with this one, because I am not "in" on the "inside joke". What is meant by this story sounding "all too familiar"? confused24.gif Are you folks leading me to believe that it is a fairly common situation to have cars offered but without documentation? Am I not correct in wanting the title before picking-up the car? Please let me know if I am overlooking something... Obviously, I need the keys and I would not feel comfortable picking-up a car that I couldn't easily transfer the title into my name. Thanks for helping a "newbie"! smile.gif
kfieler
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 12:09 PM) *

SoCal desert, no less. Yeah, it sounds EXACTLY all too familiar. Run away!!

-Jen

Jen:

Help me out here. I don't understand why I should "run away". confused24.gif I live ten miles from where this car sits. I've seen it (photographed it) in person. If I can get the keys and title for the vehicle, why should I not pick it up? Please explain your concerns that I could be making a mistake! Thanks for helping a "newbie"! smile.gif
Jenny
a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a few months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

Jen

edit: This is as I remembered it. May not be exactly what happened, but pretty damn close, IIRC.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 11:14 AM) *

a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a couple months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

agree.gif exact same story as yours.

son sees "his" car featured in a magazine a couple of month later and goes haywire and the new owner ends up in jail ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
kfieler
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 12:14 PM) *

a couple years ago, a friend picked up a car from an elderly lady claiming her son pretty much abandonded the car in her yard. Fast forward a couple months, and the son resurfaced after the car made a special appearance in a magazine, and claimed rusty-theft-auto. HUGE fiasco with cops, feds, jails and what not. The son is now a member here, I think. Or maybe it was on Narp. Can't remember. Anyway, left a bad taste in a bunch of people's mouths.

Jen

Ah, I see! idea.gif Thanks for the info! Well, that would explain some of the comments I've received with this post. As I said before, I've got no intention of trailering the car until such time as I have appropriate documentation (a pink slip).

I guess if the PO / PO's Mother wants the car gone bad enough, she'll produce a key and a pink slip! Thanks for your input! thumb3d.gif
GTeener
I don't think you have anything to worry about with this car. Just make sure you get the proper title and keys.

...plus the car you are looking at does not have the same uniqueness that prompted the published article of the aformentioned 'familiar story'.

Or get them to put in writing that neither of them will change their mind about the sale of this car and sue you av-943.gif

But seriously, that case was VERY UNIQUE.

BTW-- what's the VIN? biggrin.gif

welcome.png
Jenny
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 11:29 AM) *

...plus the car you are looking at does not have the same uniqueness that prompted the published article of the aformentioned 'familiar story'.

Aw, c'mon!! Monster eyes are totally unique!

Jen chairfall.gif
kfieler
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 1 2007, 11:14 AM) *

agree.gif exact same story as yours.

son sees "his" car featured in a magazine a couple of month later and goes haywire and the new owner ends up in jail ...
stirthepot.gif Andy

Andy:

Thanks for your input! I WILL NOT pick-up the car until I have keys and a title!

Say, in your earlier response, you indicated that the car (as a 1974) would be either a 1.8 or 2.0. I agree.

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the engine number during my quick trip to see the car so I don't have a firm ID on the engine. However, the VIN number (4742919111) indicates that it is a 1974 model year. The strange thing is that, on the rear of the car, it is "badged" as a "1.7".

Could someone have put a "1.7" badge on this car or do you know if any 914's were made after 1973?

The engine on the 1974 does look a bit different than my 1973 1.7.

Thanks for your help!

- Keith
GTeener
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 1 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the engine number during my quick trip to see the car so I don't have a firm ID on the engine. However, the VIN number (4742919111) indicates that it is a 1974 model year. The strange thing is that, on the rear of the car, it is "badged" as a "1.7".

Could someone have put a "1.7" badge on this car or do you know if any 914's were made after 1973?

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

914's were produced through 1976.
kfieler
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 12:29 PM) *

I don't think you have anything to worry about with this car. Just make sure you get the proper title and keys.

Or get them to put in writing that neither of them will change their mind about the sale of this car and sue you av-943.gif

But seriously, that case was VERY UNIQUE.

BTW-- what's the VIN? biggrin.gif

welcome.png

Thanks for your feedback! The VIN # is 4742919111. If I decoded it correctly, that would be a 1974. I was not dressed appropriately when I saw the car in person (wearing a white dress-shirt), so I didn't try to locate the engine number.

Here is a mystery... I believe the car to be a 1974 (which should be a 1.8 or 2.0); however, the badge on the rear of the car is a "1.7". Also, the engine DOES look different than my 1973 1.7. Only time will tell!

Thanks!

- Keith
hydroliftin
QUOTE(kfieler @ Jul 31 2007, 02:35 PM) *

[]1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

The price was right... FREE! I was told by the previous owner: "Just come pick-it-up!" Wish me luck!

You may want to check with DMV to find out what the fees will be to register this "free" automobile. I registered one that had not been registered for 2 1/2 years and it turned out to cost about $300. After 10 years and no non-op, Arnold may want a heafty chunk of change to make it legal again.

kfieler
QUOTE(Porsche_envy @ Aug 1 2007, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Jul 31 2007, 02:35 PM) *

[]1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.7 or 1.8?)

The price was right... FREE! I was told by the previous owner: "Just come pick-it-up!" Wish me luck!

You may want to check with DMV to find out what the fees will be to register this "free" automobile. I registered one that had not been registered for 2 1/2 years and it turned out to cost about $300. After 10 years and no non-op, Arnold may want a heafty chunk of change to make it legal again.

Yes... that is a major concern of mine. I don't know about other states, but California Department Of Motor Vehicles is known for "sticking it to you" when it comes to things like this!

The last time the vehicle was registered in California was in 1997. The car has been sitting ten (10) years WITHOUT a non-op! I definitely have to take that into consideration.

When you think about it, if a car has sat long enough, the back fees could exceed the value of the vehicle! I wonder if this is why some vehicles could be parted-out before their time? idea.gif
Dr Evil
IIRC, after 7 years the car "falls off the books" and wont have any back fees. On the DMV site you will probably find the procedure for re-titling the car. Search here, too as it has been addressed for CA cars before. IIRC, you pay $50, the DMV give you the address of the last registered owner, you send a certified mail letter to them expressing your intentions, once you have the receipt in hand for the letter as proof you sent it and get no response then they can issue you a new title that is clear. I would verify all I jsut wrote, though. There may be other steps.

welcome.png
kfieler
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

Gteener:

Sorry, my mistake in my prior question... Should have read:

"Do you know if any 914's with 1.7 engines were made after the 1973 model year?

Again, this car appears to be a 1974; however, the badge on the rear of the car reads "1.7". I am curious to know if someone put a "1.7" badge on a car that has a 1.8 or 2.0!

Thanks!
Toast
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 1 2007, 01:44 PM) *

IIRC, after 7 years the car "falls off the books" and wont have any back fees.

Hey Evil,

Not so true!
SLITS tried registering "The Brown Turd" that had expired tags that were 9 years old. DMV showed it "Still in the System" and never registered as non-op! IIRC, I believe it was $600 or close to in back fees to register it! Needless to say, Slits did not register it even after all of that work and $ put into it. sad.gif

kfieler,
welcome.png

RED FLAG WARNING! For your safety, please make sure you get the title signed off by the Current Registered Owner so that there will be no attempt by that person to procecute you for taking a car that he did not authorize his mother to sell.

Just looking out for ya.

Enjoy your find! biggrin.gif

toast.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 1 2007, 12:46 PM) *

"Do you know if any 914's with 1.7 engines were made after the 1973 model year?"

all your answers are in the "914 Info" section ...

http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php

short answer: NO

the last year for the 1.7L was '73. badges are easily changed. maybe the PO put in a 1.7L at one point. who knows.
bye1.gif Andy
GTeener
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 1 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 1 2007, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

Gteener:

Sorry, my mistake in my prior question... Should have read:

"Do you know if any 914's with 1.7 engines were made after the 1973 model year?

Again, this car appears to be a 1974; however, the badge on the rear of the car reads "1.7". I am curious to know if someone put a "1.7" badge on a car that has a 1.8 or 2.0!

Thanks!

Does the VIN on the door sticker match the VIN on the dash?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.