Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insurance, For classic cars
zymurgist
post Aug 2 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #1

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Hey all,

I was wondering what kind of insurance people are getting for their 914's that are not daily drivers. I've seen some companies offering lowball quotes, but they usually have restrictions like you can never ever drive the car to work, can't leave it parked at the mall while you go in to watch a movie, mileage restrictions, yadda yadda.

Basically I'd like to be able to drive without having my mileage audited (the tail dragger's odometer doesn't work and I don't really care because I have more important issues to work on), do lunch cruises to places where I might not be abel to see my car, maybe drive to work on a really nice day... stuff like that.

Any opinions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 2 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Most, if not all, insurance companies require annual mileage reports. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
derekdenman
post Aug 2 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,852

Mine has full coverage as a daily driver. I am a single 21 year old white male. I pay around $65 a month.

As a daily driver there is no milage report.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Aug 2 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #4

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Cap'n,

Grundy advertises no mileage restrictions.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Aug 2 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Aug 2 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

haegerty terms:

* Usage. Hagerty provides coverage for vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
* Storage. Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.
* Driving records. Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to insure those who have experienced major infractions such as a DUI, reckless driving or excessive speed violations within the past 3-6 years.* All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
* Regular-use vehicles. Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.

and costs about $130 /year for my teener -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
db9146
post Nov 14 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,315

Ken,

Sneed Insurance used to offer what I though was a pretty good policy. It had mileage ranges per year that you could select but there was no restriction on when you could drive the car. You could dirve it to work as long as your mileage limit wasn't exceeded. The policy was underwritten by Travelers Insurance. Unfortunately, Sneed doesn't offer the Travelers-underwritten policy any more and I haven't been able to find anyone who does.

Does anyone know of another company that offers stated value insurance and that will allow you to drive the car to work, for instance, even with mileage limits?

Thanks,

Dee
+Quote Post
slackin' at work
post Nov 14 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #8

i should be working

Member No.: 8,215
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 05:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

* Usage. Hagerty provides coverage for vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
* Storage. Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.
* Driving records. Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to insure those who have experienced major infractions such as a DUI, reckless driving or excessive speed violations within the past 3-6 years.* All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
* Regular-use vehicles. Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.

and costs about $130 /year for my teener -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I also have Hagerty. I "splurged " and pay $145 a year. why so much you ask? well, I opted for the free 50 mile towing. (limited to 3 time a year). I thought it was cheap piece-of-mind.

so, Hagerty FTW!

+Quote Post
WaideS
post Nov 14 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #9

Has been

Member No.: 5,475

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 03:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

My .02

Hagerty never asked milage, nor did they record the odometer reading. I paid approx $400 a year.......30k agreed value
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 14 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 05:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

Hagerty doesn't insure people under 18? How does that work?
+Quote Post
highways
post Nov 14 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,296

Just wanted to say that when I was looking for classic insurance, I got some recommendations for AAA. However, when I went in there- they were complete ass hats. First they tried to make me pay 5 years back registration even when the computer showed I had taken care of it with non-op status from the get go. Then, they sent me over to their award winning, trophy toting star insurance agent who proceeded to search for every angle possible to avoid insuring my car.

AAA can go suck a big fat tailpipe for all I care. I will only be 'using' them to tow me home 4 times a year. They are also an evil corporation- they regularly lobby against public transportation.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 14 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #12

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

AAA sucks for our cars. I waved them off :bird:

I ended up with Mercury of all places... through Howard, may he rest in peace. Agreed value policy for next to nothing... especially as a second car with one driver policy.

Call them up, or look them up online: www.thehowardagency.com.

C:>
+Quote Post
jaybird840
post Nov 14 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,927
Region Association: Southwest Region

Another vote for Hagerty. They've had two of my cars now. Very liberal on values (although I've never filed a claim with them to see how it all pans out), no mileage reporting.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 14 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Another for Hagerty.

When I spoke with my agent, She told me mileage to and from events like RRC, WCR ect do not count against my total, so keeping it under the 2k is not a issue. They have never inquired about a mileage statement in 6 years anyhow.

Ferg
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Nov 14 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #15

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/howard.gif)
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 14 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #16

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

Hagerty. Had GREAT luck with them. Very cooperative group. I pay $460.00 a year with an agreed value of $75,000. The $75K took a LOT of effort without an appraisal but they finally agreed after 3 tries and lots of receipts.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 14 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #17

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Hagerty. Both cars with agreed value of $5K and 5K miles per year. $91 per car per year.

Spoke
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Nov 15 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #18

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I have CONDON & SKELLY, i just recieved next yr. bill yesterday. $180.00,

$20,000.00 agreed value, 2,500 mile limit ( altho that is not hard and fast)

it must be inclosed storage when not being driven, must have seconed car.

I have had them since 2000, i recomened. Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

+Quote Post
black73
post Nov 15 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3,801
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(db9146 @ Nov 14 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Ken,

Sneed Insurance used to offer what I though was a pretty good policy. It had mileage ranges per year that you could select but there was no restriction on when you could drive the car. You could dirve it to work as long as your mileage limit wasn't exceeded. The policy was underwritten by Travelers Insurance. Unfortunately, Sneed doesn't offer the Travelers-underwritten policy any more and I haven't been able to find anyone who does.

Does anyone know of another company that offers stated value insurance and that will allow you to drive the car to work, for instance, even with mileage limits?

Thanks,

Dee

ANPAC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
stateofidleness
post Nov 15 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,065

so... is Hagerty like... "National" or local?
and im looking for insurance as well so where do i start?
do they have a website or a phone number i can call?

thanks!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:57 PM