Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insurance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
Hey all,

I was wondering what kind of insurance people are getting for their 914's that are not daily drivers. I've seen some companies offering lowball quotes, but they usually have restrictions like you can never ever drive the car to work, can't leave it parked at the mall while you go in to watch a movie, mileage restrictions, yadda yadda.

Basically I'd like to be able to drive without having my mileage audited (the tail dragger's odometer doesn't work and I don't really care because I have more important issues to work on), do lunch cruises to places where I might not be abel to see my car, maybe drive to work on a really nice day... stuff like that.

Any opinions?
Cap'n Krusty
Most, if not all, insurance companies require annual mileage reports. The Cap'n
derekdenman
Mine has full coverage as a daily driver. I am a single 21 year old white male. I pay around $65 a month.

As a daily driver there is no milage report.
zymurgist
Cap'n,

Grundy advertises no mileage restrictions.
Lavanaut
popcorn[1].gif
jonferns
haegerty terms:

* Usage. Hagerty provides coverage for vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
* Storage. Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.
* Driving records. Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to insure those who have experienced major infractions such as a DUI, reckless driving or excessive speed violations within the past 3-6 years.* All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
* Regular-use vehicles. Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.

and costs about $130 /year for my teener -JON biggrin.gif
db9146
Ken,

Sneed Insurance used to offer what I though was a pretty good policy. It had mileage ranges per year that you could select but there was no restriction on when you could drive the car. You could dirve it to work as long as your mileage limit wasn't exceeded. The policy was underwritten by Travelers Insurance. Unfortunately, Sneed doesn't offer the Travelers-underwritten policy any more and I haven't been able to find anyone who does.

Does anyone know of another company that offers stated value insurance and that will allow you to drive the car to work, for instance, even with mileage limits?

Thanks,

Dee
slackin' at work
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 05:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

* Usage. Hagerty provides coverage for vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
* Storage. Collector vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed, locked garage when not in use.
* Driving records. Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to insure those who have experienced major infractions such as a DUI, reckless driving or excessive speed violations within the past 3-6 years.* All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
* Regular-use vehicles. Each licensed household driver needs to have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving and must maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.

I also have Hagerty. I "splurged " and pay $145 a year. why so much you ask? well, I opted for the free 50 mile towing. (limited to 3 time a year). I thought it was cheap piece-of-mind.

so, Hagerty FTW!

WaideS
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 03:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

My .02

Hagerty never asked milage, nor did they record the odometer reading. I paid approx $400 a year.......30k agreed value
jd74914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 2 2007, 05:58 PM) *

haegerty terms:

Hagerty doesn't insure people under 18? How does that work?
highways
Just wanted to say that when I was looking for classic insurance, I got some recommendations for AAA. However, when I went in there- they were complete ass hats. First they tried to make me pay 5 years back registration even when the computer showed I had taken care of it with non-op status from the get go. Then, they sent me over to their award winning, trophy toting star insurance agent who proceeded to search for every angle possible to avoid insuring my car.

AAA can go suck a big fat tailpipe for all I care. I will only be 'using' them to tow me home 4 times a year. They are also an evil corporation- they regularly lobby against public transportation.

sheeplove.gif
Carlitos Way
AAA sucks for our cars. I waved them off :bird:

I ended up with Mercury of all places... through Howard, may he rest in peace. Agreed value policy for next to nothing... especially as a second car with one driver policy.

Call them up, or look them up online: www.thehowardagency.com.

C:>
jaybird840
Another vote for Hagerty. They've had two of my cars now. Very liberal on values (although I've never filed a claim with them to see how it all pans out), no mileage reporting.
Ferg
Another for Hagerty.

When I spoke with my agent, She told me mileage to and from events like RRC, WCR ect do not count against my total, so keeping it under the 2k is not a issue. They have never inquired about a mileage statement in 6 years anyhow.

Ferg
KaptKaos
sad.gif howard.gif
PRS914-6
Hagerty. Had GREAT luck with them. Very cooperative group. I pay $460.00 a year with an agreed value of $75,000. The $75K took a LOT of effort without an appraisal but they finally agreed after 3 tries and lots of receipts.
Spoke
Hagerty. Both cars with agreed value of $5K and 5K miles per year. $91 per car per year.

Spoke
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have CONDON & SKELLY, i just recieved next yr. bill yesterday. $180.00,

$20,000.00 agreed value, 2,500 mile limit ( altho that is not hard and fast)

it must be inclosed storage when not being driven, must have seconed car.

I have had them since 2000, i recomened. Dave slap.gif

black73
QUOTE(db9146 @ Nov 14 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Ken,

Sneed Insurance used to offer what I though was a pretty good policy. It had mileage ranges per year that you could select but there was no restriction on when you could drive the car. You could dirve it to work as long as your mileage limit wasn't exceeded. The policy was underwritten by Travelers Insurance. Unfortunately, Sneed doesn't offer the Travelers-underwritten policy any more and I haven't been able to find anyone who does.

Does anyone know of another company that offers stated value insurance and that will allow you to drive the car to work, for instance, even with mileage limits?

Thanks,

Dee

ANPAC flag.gif
stateofidleness
so... is Hagerty like... "National" or local?
and im looking for insurance as well so where do i start?
do they have a website or a phone number i can call?

thanks!
Hammy
QUOTE(derekdenman @ Aug 2 2007, 09:21 AM) *

Mine has full coverage as a daily driver. I am a single 21 year old white male. I pay around $65 a month.

As a daily driver there is no milage report.

Please tell me what you are using... I'm paying over 3 times that with AAA a month.
db9146
I got a quote from Heacock today that sounded good until you look at the terms.

It has the following limits:
1. Annual mileage is limited (Based on plan selected) and usage is restricted to
occasional pleasure driving, car shows, parades and club events.
2. Vehicles are not to be used for daily transportation, commuting or business.
3. Policy excludes racing, race testing, speed trials, any on-track or similar events.
4. Coverage does not apply when an insured vehicle is being operated by any driver
with less than 10 years experience as a licensed driver.
5. Physical Damage coverage is based on “Agreed Value” unless stated otherwise.
jimtab
I just added mine to my Allstate policy....like 295/yr...
zymurgist
I went with Grundy for the 911 and the Vette, agreed value coverage, no mileage restrictions, coverage automatically increases by 4% per year. I talked to my regular insurance guy to give him a chance to match it (Nationwide) and he told me he could get me agreed value insurance, but it was much more restrictive and he couldn't come close to Grundy's quote.

My policy states that my covered vehicles are not to be used for regular driving to work, etc. There's a bit of wiggle room for the occasional sunny day trip to work, although if I get some gorgeous weather and I want to take a drive, I try to take the day off anyway.

Oh yeah, racing is excluded. But I'd bet that is standard in the industry and one reason why focused insurance companies can keep their rates low.
GeorgeRud
I've had antique car insurance from State Farm for several years now, and they have been fine and competitive with Hagerty. However, between the other daily drivers in the family (4), house, business, workman's comp, and other policies, I think they'll give me just about anything. Out State Farm agent just about said that they look at the total policies, and their underwriting is probably more liberal if they do a lot af other business with you.

However, if I didn't have that policy, I would have the Hagerty one. They seem like good people from all the times I've talked to them at shows, etc.
tdgray
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Nov 15 2007, 08:28 PM) *

so... is Hagerty like... "National" or local?
and im looking for insurance as well so where do i start?
do they have a website or a phone number i can call?

thanks!

You can get Hagerty either from a local rep or through thier web site or call them direct.

I have them on the MGA... agreed value $30 K about $149 per year. No mileage restrictions... same stuff... in garage... limited pleasure driving... etc.

FWIW... I did make a note on my application that I do drive it to work from time to time... never batted and eye.
Pnambic
Another vote for Hagerty here, though they don't seem to be to technologically savvy. Someone there accidentally wrote my GA policy on an IN app and then the paperwork didn't get sent to the GA DMV, so I got fees. It took a while to clear up, but they did clear it up and the fees went away.

I pay $124 a year with either $4500 or $5000 agreed value....can't remember.

They did ask for a picture of the car in the enclosed, lockable garage though. Went out back and took it with my camera phone and sent it to her.
drive-ability
Hagerty again,
I can drive my car a bit here and there but its limited along with a locked garage etc. I was happy to get coverage, I have an agreed value of 25K. I assume they might start wiggling if I had a total loss, but add up the parts and labor and it would about right.
stateofidleness
i did an online quote today with their default settings (dont know too much about this stuff) and with a declared value of $5000 and being "Modified" my annual rate was $270...

so im guessing it's the age difference that makes yours so low even though the values are high?

i then tried setting it to $9,999 (the highest in the range for modified) and it came out to like $400somethin annually.. what gives?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.