Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition Switch Question (the plastic electrical portion), Differences between switch for a 1.7 and 2.0
kfieler
post Aug 3 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached Image
Ignition Switch from 1975 1.8/2.0

Will the plastic electrical Ignition Switch (the part that sits behind the ignition key tumbler) from a 1975 914 1.8 work in a 1973 1.7?

I need a switch for a '73 1.7 but have a spare from a '75 1.8 - and they look a little different.

The electrical connectors (on the back) look the same between the '73 and '75. The plastic case is also very similar, but has a couple of "tabs" on the switch for the 1.8 that are not on the switch from the 1.7.

If I can grind the tabs and physically make the part fit behind the tumbler, will this work... or should I wait for a replacement part?

Thanks!

- Keith
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 3 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 3 2007, 04:20 PM) *

Attached Image
Ignition Switch from 1975 1.8/2.0

Will the plastic electrical Ignition Switch (the part that sits behind the ignition key tumbler) from a 1975 914 1.8 work in a 1973 1.7?

I need a switch for a '73 1.7 but have a spare from a '75 1.8 - and they look a little different.

The electrical connectors (on the back) look the same between the '73 and '75. The plastic case is also very similar, but has a couple of "tabs" on the switch for the 1.8 that are not on the switch from the 1.7.

If I can grind the tabs and physically make the part fit behind the tumbler, will this work... or should I wait for a replacement part?

Thanks!

- Keith

shave off the collar and it will work! I would wait for the right part though unless you are stranded!
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 3 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #3

kfieler

Member No.: 7,949

shave off the collar and it will work! I would wait for the right part though unless you are stranded!

Thanks, George!

I'll shave the collar, wait for the CORRECT part to come-in, and hold onto the "shaved" one in case I ever AM stranded (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

It is good to know this will work in a "pinch"!

- Keith
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:43 PM