Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch Question (the plastic electrical portion)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment
Ignition Switch from 1975 1.8/2.0

Will the plastic electrical Ignition Switch (the part that sits behind the ignition key tumbler) from a 1975 914 1.8 work in a 1973 1.7?

I need a switch for a '73 1.7 but have a spare from a '75 1.8 - and they look a little different.

The electrical connectors (on the back) look the same between the '73 and '75. The plastic case is also very similar, but has a couple of "tabs" on the switch for the 1.8 that are not on the switch from the 1.7.

If I can grind the tabs and physically make the part fit behind the tumbler, will this work... or should I wait for a replacement part?

Thanks!

- Keith
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 3 2007, 04:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Ignition Switch from 1975 1.8/2.0

Will the plastic electrical Ignition Switch (the part that sits behind the ignition key tumbler) from a 1975 914 1.8 work in a 1973 1.7?

I need a switch for a '73 1.7 but have a spare from a '75 1.8 - and they look a little different.

The electrical connectors (on the back) look the same between the '73 and '75. The plastic case is also very similar, but has a couple of "tabs" on the switch for the 1.8 that are not on the switch from the 1.7.

If I can grind the tabs and physically make the part fit behind the tumbler, will this work... or should I wait for a replacement part?

Thanks!

- Keith

shave off the collar and it will work! I would wait for the right part though unless you are stranded!
kfieler

shave off the collar and it will work! I would wait for the right part though unless you are stranded!

Thanks, George!

I'll shave the collar, wait for the CORRECT part to come-in, and hold onto the "shaved" one in case I ever AM stranded thumb3d.gif

It is good to know this will work in a "pinch"!

- Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.