Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small rant, Auto Atlanta SUCKS!
VaccaRabite
post Aug 6 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #21

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Aug 6 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I think it would be best if you first try to straighten things out with any vendor before making a public trashing. I am not coming to anyone's defense, but be realistic. I have bought about $8,000 worth of parts to restore my 914 over the last few years. A lot of it went to AA, with excellent results. I have had a lot of minor problems with other suppliers, but have not chosen to make a big deal out of it, instead prefering to give them a chance to make it right.

For instance, I have had problems with one of the premiere engine supliers recommended highly on this site with quality of parts. They very gratiously straightened things out, although it took about two months for me to get correct parts. I have had missed shipments from another of the members vendors, someone who has received rave reviews on this board for his work. I have been charged for parts from another large premier 914 vendor (commonly recommended on this board) that I had ordered on their internet site, but when these were to be shipped from their remote supplier it was found that they were actually out of stock (about two months ago by now, but they do a very good job of notification on this).

I think all this means is that maybe with these old cars there are a lot of people trying their best to provide the needed parts to keep them on the road. Some do better than others, but I have not seen anything to indicate anyone trying to rip anyone off. My hat is off to AA, and to the other vendors and member vendors for providing this service. Thanks to you all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) JoeO

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Whenever there is a "lets bitch about a vendor" thread, this post should be quoted.

Maybe it is just a matter of perspective. Parts for the 914 are pretty easy to get, compared to the WWII Bren Gun Carriers or trucks I was working on before. Stuff for these cars has been pretty easy to find, and a phone call will almost always clear up any issues. For the really obscure vehicles, it could be several phone calls or months or years before you can turn up something as basic as a wheel bearing.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sww914
post Aug 6 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Parts suck. I've been buying parts for my cars and thousands of other people's cars for years. It's very, very rare to make a large order and get every part, not to mention the right parts. Every parts house has bad salespeople. Some of them have good salespeople. The trick is to get a good salesman at a given supplier and stick with him/her. None of them make very much money, and the crappy ones make almost as much as the good ones.

A bit of advice to every parts supplier- hang on to your good salespeople, and don't ever fucking lie to me. If you screwed up, fine, tell me that. I screw up, I understand that. I don't lie about it. And for God's sake, let me know what's going on. I didn't order parts because I was bored that day, I need them to fix a car.
What I expect isn't that complicated.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 6 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #23

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 6 2007, 09:14 PM) *

A bit of advice to every parts supplier- hang on to your good salespeople, and don't ever fucking lie to me. If you screwed up, fine, tell me that. I screw up, I understand that. I don't lie about it. And for God's sake, let me know what's going on. I didn't order parts because I was bored that day, I need them to fix a car.
What I expect isn't that complicated.

I've been self employed for over 20 years buying printing and graphic services from many vendors. It's a given that there will be problems and screw ups with some orders. What's important is what happens after the problem is discovered. You find out quickly who stands behind their business and who wants to dance around the issue. Communication, responsiveness, and accountability are natural attributes for a quality organization and elusive concepts for the clueless ones.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Aug 7 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #24

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094

I think if I ever do work close to atlanta and need parts for my teener or another porsche, I'd go down there in person and see the parts before I buy them. As far as phone and internet, AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 7 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Aug 7 2007, 11:27 AM) *

I think if I ever do work close to atlanta and need parts for my teener or another porsche, I'd go down there in person and see the parts before I buy them. As far as phone and internet, AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

Nice! And on your trip south you will pass within 2 miles of here!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 7 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #26

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

[

AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

You can't say George doesn't face up to us, even when he disagrees. Thats a good start on the road to an improved relationship.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 7 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #27

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 7 2007, 03:51 PM) *

[

AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

You can't say George doesn't face up to us, even when he disagrees. Thats a good start on the road to an improved relationship.

Agreed, Goerge doesn't run for the shadows. Also agree that "good help is hard to get", particularly when you're forced to hire kids who don't give a shit. Sounds like George should be hiring more "seniors", who have a long work ethic.

I think George is really trying hard here, but constrained by some bad help. However, he HAS given us his cell number and told us to call him when we need to. Yeah, he's opened himself up to lotsa calls, but he made the offer. Take him up on it - I know I will.
Pat
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 7 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #28

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

30 + years of 914 ownership and I have never used any 914 parts supplier other than Pelican and HPH. ...Oh wait! I ordered stuff once from Performance and Patrick MS, they both screwed up my orders and I never went back. I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 7 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #29

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.

+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Aug 7 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think there are enough "AA sucks" threads.

Paul
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 7 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Aug 7 2007, 05:11 PM) *

I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.

AA first and foremost is the home of the chief 914 enthusiast in the world. We have the world's best 914 collection parts collection a restoration facility and over 200 914 sad derelicts here. (and a few good ones!) I personally would NEVER consider myself a 914 supplier but rather the chief enthusiast, and 914 cheerleader (to paraphrase my friend Mike at Mid America). Suppliers are those who do not care about the marque but only care about the profit the parts sales make them. Not here. I am available 24 hours a day and WANT to talk 914 with anyone who wants to talk with me.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 7 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #32

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 7 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Paul

+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 7 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #33

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

As one who has contributed to past AA rants, I would also like to see these "AA sucks" threads go away. (see George, I can play nice). But, I would like to see less chest-beating. George, you have been around along time as caretaker, cheerleader, etc. But Please don't call yourself the Chief 914 enthusiast; this site is full of passionate enthusiasts, of which we lost a Great one this week. On this site we don't elect Presidents, Chiefs, Rulers; Let's just enjoy our cars.

T.C.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 7 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #34

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[/quote]

AA first and foremost is the home of the chief 914 enthusiast in the world. We have the world's best 914 collection parts collection a restoration facility and over 200 914 sad derelicts here. (and a few good ones!) I personally would NEVER consider myself a 914 supplier but rather the chief enthusiast, and 914 cheerleader (to paraphrase my friend Mike at Mid America). Suppliers are those who do not care about the marque but only care about the profit the parts sales make them. Not here. I am available 24 hours a day and WANT to talk 914 with anyone who wants to talk with me.
[/quote]

So I guess it's just a hobby for you but the other 'suppliers' are just in it to get rich? Why the big direct mail catalog then? That's sure to keep prices down and improve customer service.

You guys are right, I'm sick of these threads too. Wish they weren't necessary.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Aug 8 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

Everyone is quick to jump on the negative. George has offered some good specials
and nla parts to us at good prices.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Aug 8 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #36

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 7 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Paul

I think there are too many!!!
If you talk to George personally and still can't get resolution then post a slam but in my experience, if you talk to him you won't be disappointed.
Just my 2 cents.
+Quote Post
army dude
post Aug 8 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #37

The answer is 42

Member No.: 5,265

I have had great experience with AA back in '86 and just a few weeks ago. A few in between as well. Hell, I liked them so much back then that I kept the catalog from 1985 and still have it at home. They have done great by me and I agree, lets not be so quick to jump.

Back to stealth mode...

ian
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 02:39 AM