Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Small rant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
I wanted to order a throttle body gasket for my 1.7 (the rubber ones). I couldn't find them anywhere so I came on this board to ask where I could get them, if anywhere, stating that I couldn't find them at Pelican, Tweeks, Automotion, or Auto Atlanta. Then 'someone' from Auto Atlanta chimed in and said that they had them. So I asked for a link or part number or something since I couldn't find them on the website. To this 'someone' replied that he had "four in his hand that he just set down to type this", and that I should look somewhere local, since they're SOOO plentiful, and I shouldn't have to pay for shipping. I looked.... unsuccessfully. I then proceeded to PM 'someone' and he finally gave me a part number to put into a Google search per his instructions. Guess which site pops up.... YOU GUESSED IT, Auto Atlanta's.... and only Auto Atlanta's. "FINALLY," I thought, "I can order this damn thing." So I did. Two days later I get an e-mail from 'someone else' saying that the part is 'no longer available' and that they have a $20 minimum order rule anyway! finger.gif Take away from this what you like, but this whole experience has left a raw, foul taste in my mouth. *Rant over!*
Mark D.
McMark
The worlds largest phantom Porsche inventory.
rhodyguy
same old news, same old blues...again. you're lucky you didn't buy the DELUXE version of their LE front valance and recieve a horribly fitting fubar pos plastic with big chips all through the gelcoat. the underling i delt with trying to return it was absolutely impossible to deal with so i just ate it, the actual shipping costs, and the exorbitant handling charge.

k
BMXerror
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2007, 07:12 AM) *

same old news, same old blues...again. you're lucky you didn't buy the DELUXE version of their LE front valance and recieve a horribly fitting fubar pos plastic with big chips all through the gelcoat. the underling i delt with trying to return it was absolutely impossible to deal with so i just ate it, the actual shipping costs, and the exorbitant handling charge.

k

Well, I handn't bought anything from them previously due to the many red flags and alarms going off in my head just from looking at their website I know, it doesn't sound like a real accurate way to judge a bussiness, but I haven't been wrong yet. I only tried this because it seemed to be my only option and it was cheap, so I wouldn't be out much. Luckily they didn't charge me anyway.
Mark D.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Aug 4 2007, 09:56 PM) *

he finally gave me a part number

what's the part number?
idea.gif Andy
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 5 2007, 02:55 AM) *

Not true.
I was in Atlanta just three weeks ago on business.
George took me out to dinner, but before that I toured his facility.

He has 30 or so rows of parts, all there.
Pretty impressive selection on hand.

A rubber gasket, please...make one.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2007, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 5 2007, 02:55 AM) *

Not true.
I was in Atlanta just three weeks ago on business.
George took me out to dinner, but before that I toured his facility.

He has 30 or so rows of parts, all there.
Pretty impressive selection on hand.

A rubber gasket, please...make one.

Rich

"Make one"? How, pray tell? My conical ribbed rubber gasket maker's fallen, and it can't get up. Best to know of what you're speaking before you deride someone .......

The Cap'n
r_towle
I agree completely.

Best to know if what your speaking before you deride somone.

Rich
dflesburg
Did you call George? There used to be some guy there that sold me crap and called it new, it was a seatbelt buckle... but never George. Anytime I have dealt with George he has been honest, and told me if I was getting a used part. Also, he has helped me a lot over the years. Unfortunately, like all of us, he has to have others work at AA.
eric914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 5 2007, 06:35 PM) *

Did you call George? There used to be some guy there that sold me crap and called it new, it was a seatbelt buckle... but never George. Anytime I have dealt with George he has been honest, and told me if I was getting a used part. Also, he has helped me a lot over the years. Unfortunately, like all of us, he has to have others work at AA.

Businesses styles and culture tend to take their lead from the top. confused24.gif
914rrr
QUOTE(eric914 @ Aug 5 2007, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 5 2007, 06:35 PM) *

Businesses styles and culture tend to take their lead from the top. confused24.gif

agree.gif
VaccaRabite
If you don't like them, don't shop there.

AA knows their parts database sucks. But they are a resource for these old cars, and they have stuff that they other places may not. I have bought a couple things from them, and the one time there was an issue a call to George put everything right.

Instead of running here to post, talk to George and see if he can make it right.

MHO

Zach
Brando
30 rows? I know a locale who has a few trailers, packed deep with parts upon parts. Difference? He'll honestly tell you he doesn't know what the fuck he has, but you're welcome to find it!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow! I cannot even take sunday off without a bunch of chatter about Auto Atlanta! Love it though! Any talk about this place is good talk as far as I am concerned. Need to keep "914 World Headquarters" always in the forefront. Everytime I arrive here in the morning and look at the best 914 collection in the world and the hundreds of other 914s around this place, from derelicts to pristine princesses, I know that I am helping to preserve the marque! I thank all of you for being so passionate about the car!
We are currently working on our new mass mailed 914 catalog ready now in September, so are neglecting other areas. Putting a new catalog in the hands of 35,000 914 owners is of paramount importance to us now. (after visiting a catalog mailorder company several months ago I was thoroughly convinced that mass mailing was again the way to go) Therefore for those of you who are searching on our site from over 195,000 part numbers, you may not find everything easily. For that I am sorry, but please remember (as some of you positively thinking guys have noted) I personally as well as our other staff members are always available ON THE PHONE! We are a 30 year old business and WE still like to TALK to people. I have given the club my personal extension, my cell phone, and my home phone. Therefore I am always available, so if you cannot find something on the web, JUST CALL!
The intake gaskets are here yes.
SGB
I recently went through a mix-up with AA, but coordinated with George for the replacement process, and it was great. I know, I was ( I hate to say amazed) certainly impressed. The replacement items arrived the day I shipped out the returns. He did not hestitate to replace one of his repro bumper pads when I pointed out a small defect and noted that I would "live with it". Obviously he sent out the new pad before even recieving the return. I've actually had about three good transactions with AA over the last year or so. Not comepletely without hiccup but worth it in the long run.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
How about a new motto: AUTOMOBILE ATLANTA, ALWAYS JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY! (I Know that I am opening myself up on this one!!!!!!!!) Have fun!
brer
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 6 2007, 07:53 AM) *

How about a new motto: AUTOMOBILE ATLANTA, ALWAYS JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY! (I Know that I am opening myself up on this one!!!!!!!!) Have fun!

Thats good news as I'm kinda teary this week with all the bad news. sad.gif
I'll call you later George. snif.

smile.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(brer @ Aug 6 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Thats good news as I'm kinda teary this week with all the bad news. sad.gif
I'll call you later George. snif.

agree.gif Keeping things in perspective. RIP Howard.
I don't mean to sound petty. I was just sharing my experience. Perhaps the one opinion that I expressed in the thread description is a bit premature, but like I said, the experience just left a foul taste in my mouth. As for it being JUST a gasket, what can I say? If you need it, you need it. If you can't make it, you buy it. As I said, I was just stating the facts of MY personal experience. I will say no more on the subject. stirthepot.gif
Right now one of the senior members is helpin' me out, so I should be good.
Mark D.
thomasotten
Come on guys,

George is online, and a member of the forum. He answers emails. He will talk to you on the phone. I think that we as a club need to get over this bit about going public to the forum when an order was not fullfilled without error. I am not saying not to complain ir vent, but the threshold needs to be raised a bit.
Joe Owensby
I think it would be best if you first try to straighten things out with any vendor before making a public trashing. I am not coming to anyone's defense, but be realistic. I have bought about $8,000 worth of parts to restore my 914 over the last few years. A lot of it went to AA, with excellent results. I have had a lot of minor problems with other suppliers, but have not chosen to make a big deal out of it, instead prefering to give them a chance to make it right.

For instance, I have had problems with one of the premiere engine supliers recommended highly on this site with quality of parts. They very gratiously straightened things out, although it took about two months for me to get correct parts. I have had missed shipments from another of the members vendors, someone who has received rave reviews on this board for his work. I have been charged for parts from another large premier 914 vendor (commonly recommended on this board) that I had ordered on their internet site, but when these were to be shipped from their remote supplier it was found that they were actually out of stock (about two months ago by now, but they do a very good job of notification on this).

I think all this means is that maybe with these old cars there are a lot of people trying their best to provide the needed parts to keep them on the road. Some do better than others, but I have not seen anything to indicate anyone trying to rip anyone off. My hat is off to AA, and to the other vendors and member vendors for providing this service. Thanks to you all. smile.gif JoeO
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Aug 6 2007, 09:43 PM) *

I think it would be best if you first try to straighten things out with any vendor before making a public trashing. I am not coming to anyone's defense, but be realistic. I have bought about $8,000 worth of parts to restore my 914 over the last few years. A lot of it went to AA, with excellent results. I have had a lot of minor problems with other suppliers, but have not chosen to make a big deal out of it, instead prefering to give them a chance to make it right.

For instance, I have had problems with one of the premiere engine supliers recommended highly on this site with quality of parts. They very gratiously straightened things out, although it took about two months for me to get correct parts. I have had missed shipments from another of the members vendors, someone who has received rave reviews on this board for his work. I have been charged for parts from another large premier 914 vendor (commonly recommended on this board) that I had ordered on their internet site, but when these were to be shipped from their remote supplier it was found that they were actually out of stock (about two months ago by now, but they do a very good job of notification on this).

I think all this means is that maybe with these old cars there are a lot of people trying their best to provide the needed parts to keep them on the road. Some do better than others, but I have not seen anything to indicate anyone trying to rip anyone off. My hat is off to AA, and to the other vendors and member vendors for providing this service. Thanks to you all. smile.gif JoeO

agree.gif
Whenever there is a "lets bitch about a vendor" thread, this post should be quoted.

Maybe it is just a matter of perspective. Parts for the 914 are pretty easy to get, compared to the WWII Bren Gun Carriers or trucks I was working on before. Stuff for these cars has been pretty easy to find, and a phone call will almost always clear up any issues. For the really obscure vehicles, it could be several phone calls or months or years before you can turn up something as basic as a wheel bearing.

Zach
sww914
Parts suck. I've been buying parts for my cars and thousands of other people's cars for years. It's very, very rare to make a large order and get every part, not to mention the right parts. Every parts house has bad salespeople. Some of them have good salespeople. The trick is to get a good salesman at a given supplier and stick with him/her. None of them make very much money, and the crappy ones make almost as much as the good ones.

A bit of advice to every parts supplier- hang on to your good salespeople, and don't ever fucking lie to me. If you screwed up, fine, tell me that. I screw up, I understand that. I don't lie about it. And for God's sake, let me know what's going on. I didn't order parts because I was bored that day, I need them to fix a car.
What I expect isn't that complicated.
KELTY360
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 6 2007, 09:14 PM) *

A bit of advice to every parts supplier- hang on to your good salespeople, and don't ever fucking lie to me. If you screwed up, fine, tell me that. I screw up, I understand that. I don't lie about it. And for God's sake, let me know what's going on. I didn't order parts because I was bored that day, I need them to fix a car.
What I expect isn't that complicated.

agree.gif

I've been self employed for over 20 years buying printing and graphic services from many vendors. It's a given that there will be problems and screw ups with some orders. What's important is what happens after the problem is discovered. You find out quickly who stands behind their business and who wants to dance around the issue. Communication, responsiveness, and accountability are natural attributes for a quality organization and elusive concepts for the clueless ones.
BahnBrenner914
I think if I ever do work close to atlanta and need parts for my teener or another porsche, I'd go down there in person and see the parts before I buy them. As far as phone and internet, AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Aug 7 2007, 11:27 AM) *

I think if I ever do work close to atlanta and need parts for my teener or another porsche, I'd go down there in person and see the parts before I buy them. As far as phone and internet, AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

Nice! And on your trip south you will pass within 2 miles of here!
SGB
[

AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

You can't say George doesn't face up to us, even when he disagrees. Thats a good start on the road to an improved relationship.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 7 2007, 03:51 PM) *

[

AA has gotten a bad rap and has a big uphill battle if it wants to redeem itself here at 914world.

You can't say George doesn't face up to us, even when he disagrees. Thats a good start on the road to an improved relationship.

Agreed, Goerge doesn't run for the shadows. Also agree that "good help is hard to get", particularly when you're forced to hire kids who don't give a shit. Sounds like George should be hiring more "seniors", who have a long work ethic.

I think George is really trying hard here, but constrained by some bad help. However, he HAS given us his cell number and told us to call him when we need to. Yeah, he's opened himself up to lotsa calls, but he made the offer. Take him up on it - I know I will.
Pat
grantsfo
30 + years of 914 ownership and I have never used any 914 parts supplier other than Pelican and HPH. ...Oh wait! I ordered stuff once from Performance and Patrick MS, they both screwed up my orders and I never went back. I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.
EdwardBlume
I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.

agree.gif
orthobiz
I think there are enough "AA sucks" threads.

Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Aug 7 2007, 05:11 PM) *

I tend to stick with those who treat me well and I put much stock into suppliers who don't waste their time soliciting and defending their positions on supplier "independent" forums such as this and the 914club site. Nothing worse than a supplier who would rather argue on a message forum rather than take care of their customers.

agree.gif

AA first and foremost is the home of the chief 914 enthusiast in the world. We have the world's best 914 collection parts collection a restoration facility and over 200 914 sad derelicts here. (and a few good ones!) I personally would NEVER consider myself a 914 supplier but rather the chief enthusiast, and 914 cheerleader (to paraphrase my friend Mike at Mid America). Suppliers are those who do not care about the marque but only care about the profit the parts sales make them. Not here. I am available 24 hours a day and WANT to talk 914 with anyone who wants to talk with me.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 7 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Paul

agree.gif
carr914
As one who has contributed to past AA rants, I would also like to see these "AA sucks" threads go away. (see George, I can play nice). But, I would like to see less chest-beating. George, you have been around along time as caretaker, cheerleader, etc. But Please don't call yourself the Chief 914 enthusiast; this site is full of passionate enthusiasts, of which we lost a Great one this week. On this site we don't elect Presidents, Chiefs, Rulers; Let's just enjoy our cars.

T.C.
KELTY360
[/quote]

AA first and foremost is the home of the chief 914 enthusiast in the world. We have the world's best 914 collection parts collection a restoration facility and over 200 914 sad derelicts here. (and a few good ones!) I personally would NEVER consider myself a 914 supplier but rather the chief enthusiast, and 914 cheerleader (to paraphrase my friend Mike at Mid America). Suppliers are those who do not care about the marque but only care about the profit the parts sales make them. Not here. I am available 24 hours a day and WANT to talk 914 with anyone who wants to talk with me.
[/quote]

So I guess it's just a hobby for you but the other 'suppliers' are just in it to get rich? Why the big direct mail catalog then? That's sure to keep prices down and improve customer service.

You guys are right, I'm sick of these threads too. Wish they weren't necessary.

barf.gif
craig downs
Everyone is quick to jump on the negative. George has offered some good specials
and nla parts to us at good prices.
tracks914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 7 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Paul

agree.gif
I think there are too many!!!
If you talk to George personally and still can't get resolution then post a slam but in my experience, if you talk to him you won't be disappointed.
Just my 2 cents.
army dude
I have had great experience with AA back in '86 and just a few weeks ago. A few in between as well. Hell, I liked them so much back then that I kept the catalog from 1985 and still have it at home. They have done great by me and I agree, lets not be so quick to jump.

Back to stealth mode...

ian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.