Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Questions about tuning and timing dual carb 1.8
Slick914
post Aug 5 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,802

I'm going to attempt a tune-up on my car and have many questions. I know most of these are basic questions, so please bear with me. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

My engine... 1974 1.8 Has dual Weber carbs. Not positive which ones. Distributor appears to be original? I'm assuming that the cam is original, really have no idea. I attached a couple pics that may help identify what I have. Sorry, it's raining outside and the car is covered, can't get better pics at the moment.

Many questions, so I'll just ask them as they pop into my head, no specific order...

1. .016 gap correct for points?
2. At what rpm should I set timing? 3000, 3200, 3500?
3. What's a safe timing setting? 27, 28, 30, more?
4. Is it true if my point gap is set right, the dwell should be fine?
5. How do I sync my carbs? I have a synchrometer from previous owner.
6. Is my distributor supposed to have a vacuum line?

Hmmm, I know there were some other ?'s but can't think of them right now. The car runs ok now, but I know I can get her to run a little smoother. When cold, it backfires through the carbs especially upon acceleration. Even when at running temp, it can be hesitant during acceleration at times. Once the rpms get up there some the hesitation goes away. These symptoms could be a common thing with the set-up I have for all I know, but I still need to give her a tune-up regardless.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:45 AM