Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> instaling intake tube's, do you use sealant
jeeperjohn56
post Aug 6 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,407
Region Association: None

hey everyone, just like topic description, when installing intake tube's do you need sealant on gasket against tube side? and if you do what kind would you use? or would it leak if not used? only asking because almost done with installing everything back on engine, but will have to address this before install, might have to take things back off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) thanks everyone for the help John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
type47
post Aug 6 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

do you mean the intake runner and the little short hose that connects to the intake phlenum? the phlenum is the intake air distributor that all the intake runners branch off from.

if so, i will admit to what i did. knowing that these engines are sensitive to air leaks, when i assembled mine, i put a little bit of gasket sealer, i don't exactly remember which kind, it was a silicone based gasket/sealer, reddish in color in a tube from the local Flaps. i just put a small amount in hopes that it would fill in any gaps that would later cause leaks. i did the same thing with the oil return tubes. i just used a little between the o rings and the tube, not the o rings and the engine case.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 6 2007, 07:56 AM
Post #3

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Silicone is sensitive to gasoline, falls apart. I did not, just new gaskets and tubes.

+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Aug 6 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:52 AM) *

do you mean the intake runner and the little short hose that connects to the intake phlenum? the phlenum is the intake air distributor that all the intake runners branch off from.

if so, i will admit to what i did. knowing that these engines are sensitive to air leaks, when i assembled mine, i put a little bit of gasket sealer, i don't exactly remember which kind, it was a silicone based gasket/sealer, reddish in color in a tube from the local Flaps. i just put a small amount in hopes that it would fill in any gaps that would later cause leaks. i did the same thing with the oil return tubes. i just used a little between the o rings and the tube, not the o rings and the engine case.

I'm talking about the tube's and gasket area by the head and injectors, do the short little tube's or runners I mean do they leak also?
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Aug 6 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:52 AM) *

I'm talking about the tube's and gasket area by the head and injectors, do the short little tube's or runners I mean do they leak also?

all the gaskets and runners are new,everything on the motor is new or cleaned and painted, just worrying about leak's
+Quote Post
type47
post Aug 6 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #6

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

there is a special gasket between the end of the intake runner (there the fuel injectors are) and the head. i think it's referred to as a "phenolic block". it's about 1/4" thick and best i can reason, acts as a heat insulator.

the application of the silicone based sealant between the little hoses and the intake runners would not come into contact with gasoline since it's all intake air at that location. the oil return tubes probably will come into contact with engine oil though.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 6 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:24 AM) *

there is a special gasket between the end of the intake runner (there the fuel injectors are) and the head. i think it's referred to as a "phenolic block". it's about 1/4" thick and best i can reason, acts as a heat insulator.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) use the thick gaskets between the runners and the heads and put a light film of sealant on both sides ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:31 AM