Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: instaling intake tube's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeeperjohn56
hey everyone, just like topic description, when installing intake tube's do you need sealant on gasket against tube side? and if you do what kind would you use? or would it leak if not used? only asking because almost done with installing everything back on engine, but will have to address this before install, might have to take things back off. headbang.gif thanks everyone for the help John
type47
do you mean the intake runner and the little short hose that connects to the intake phlenum? the phlenum is the intake air distributor that all the intake runners branch off from.

if so, i will admit to what i did. knowing that these engines are sensitive to air leaks, when i assembled mine, i put a little bit of gasket sealer, i don't exactly remember which kind, it was a silicone based gasket/sealer, reddish in color in a tube from the local Flaps. i just put a small amount in hopes that it would fill in any gaps that would later cause leaks. i did the same thing with the oil return tubes. i just used a little between the o rings and the tube, not the o rings and the engine case.
So.Cal.914
Silicone is sensitive to gasoline, falls apart. I did not, just new gaskets and tubes.

jeeperjohn56
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:52 AM) *

do you mean the intake runner and the little short hose that connects to the intake phlenum? the phlenum is the intake air distributor that all the intake runners branch off from.

if so, i will admit to what i did. knowing that these engines are sensitive to air leaks, when i assembled mine, i put a little bit of gasket sealer, i don't exactly remember which kind, it was a silicone based gasket/sealer, reddish in color in a tube from the local Flaps. i just put a small amount in hopes that it would fill in any gaps that would later cause leaks. i did the same thing with the oil return tubes. i just used a little between the o rings and the tube, not the o rings and the engine case.

I'm talking about the tube's and gasket area by the head and injectors, do the short little tube's or runners I mean do they leak also?
jeeperjohn56
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:52 AM) *

I'm talking about the tube's and gasket area by the head and injectors, do the short little tube's or runners I mean do they leak also?

all the gaskets and runners are new,everything on the motor is new or cleaned and painted, just worrying about leak's
type47
there is a special gasket between the end of the intake runner (there the fuel injectors are) and the head. i think it's referred to as a "phenolic block". it's about 1/4" thick and best i can reason, acts as a heat insulator.

the application of the silicone based sealant between the little hoses and the intake runners would not come into contact with gasoline since it's all intake air at that location. the oil return tubes probably will come into contact with engine oil though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:24 AM) *

there is a special gasket between the end of the intake runner (there the fuel injectors are) and the head. i think it's referred to as a "phenolic block". it's about 1/4" thick and best i can reason, acts as a heat insulator.

agree.gif use the thick gaskets between the runners and the heads and put a light film of sealant on both sides ...
beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.