Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

22 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheels and Tires, Let's get this discussion centralized
Jasfsmith
post Feb 23 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

Though I think a period correct tire size would be best for the CW types (Pat is losing my respect here <grin>), I doubt that the Zone 1 Concour will be that critical in the tire presentation.

Unless I appear as a judge. And I'm not saying I will be ......
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 23 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

How do the 2 tires compare in regard to road handeling? Simular I suppose? I won't make a decession for a couple months yet. Have to see if and when the Michi's become available. James, zone 1 isn't that stringent? More like a local PCA event regarding judgeing?
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 23 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #123

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 23 2009, 12:41 PM) *

How do the 2 tires compare in regard to road handeling? Simular I suppose? I won't make a decession for a couple months yet. Have to see if and when the Michi's become available. James, zone 1 isn't that stringent? More like a local PCA event regarding judgeing?

I 've had both the Michelin ZX and Verdisten on my 914-4, and can honestly say I found no ride or handling difference. On the 914-6 I have the XAS's which are defintely a step up to the ZXZ's. My optimum would the the XWX's which were always a good sticky tire. Pricey as hell and limited wear life.

Before the XAS, I ran a couple of contemporary low profile tires. They looked better (maybe) and handled far better, however I found the ride a bit harsh, and "heavy".

The few Zone 1 events I've attended, I would say the judging to be more knowledgeable than local PCA and other club events. For me, it was a good look at what to expect at the national level (the judges were most helpful and encouraging in that regard).

In straight comparison, the Zone 1 is walk in the park compared to the national level. A lot less pressure. (Look at what it's done to Pat Garvey at the national level. <grin>)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 23 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #124

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Feb 23 2009, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 23 2009, 12:41 PM) *

I 've had both the Michelin ZX and Verdisten on my 914-4, and can honestly say I found no ride or handling difference. On the 914-6 I have the XAS's which are defintely a step up to the ZXZ's. My optimum would the the XWX's which were always a good sticky tire. Pricey as hell and limited wear life.

Before the XAS, I ran a couple of contemporary low profile tires. They looked better (maybe) and handled far better, however I found the ride a bit harsh, and "heavy".

The few Zone 1 events I've attended, I would say the judging to be more knowledgeable than local PCA and other club events. For me, it was a good look at what to expect at the national level (the judges were most helpful and encouraging in that regard).

In straight comparison, the Zone 1 is walk in the park compared to the national level. A lot less pressure. (Look at what it's done to Pat Garvey at the national level. <grin>)

And THIS is where I cross the boundary between total originality...and functionality.

We've had this discussion before. I absolutely WILL NOT put tires of 70's design on my pride and joy. I draw the line here.

I've done it before - lost wins at national level, because of my tire choice. I'll do it again, but have learned how to make up the difference. No. I won't put radical tites on (and I'm open for suggestions), but wish I could get more of the Yoko A008R's I had before. Safe, sticky, don't wear well, but who cares.

Now, I've had my 914 from day one, with (in my opinion) crap tires. It was a daily driver. One wet roads (shuddder!) it was a skate. In the snow, it did 180's regularly. Why? Tires! I first switched from the origional Conti's to XAS. Worse that the Conti's. That's when it was parked in wet or snow. Found Pirelli CN36's! They were/are great, but 28 years old. Great auto-x tire, too.

Then I found Yoko's! Such sweat tires! They're on my 73 T now. But, they're old too.

So...what do I put on the 914? You can bet that I won't spend 1800 bucks for inferior tires from Coker (with installation). I may be a CW, but when it comes to safety & performance I draw the line.

Sorry to those that haven't come to this conclusion. Drive a 914 in the wet with XAS's. You'll see.
Pat
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 24 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #125

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 23 2009, 08:44 PM) *

We've had this discussion before. I absolutely WILL NOT put tires of 70's design on my pride and joy. I draw the line here.

I've done it before - lost wins at national level, because of my tire choice. I'll do it again, but have learned how to make up the difference. No. I won't put radical tites on (and I'm open for suggestions), but wish I could get more of the Yoko A008R's I had before. Safe, sticky, don't wear well, but who cares.

Now, I've had my 914 from day one, with (in my opinion) crap tires. It was a daily driver. One wet roads (shuddder!) it was a skate. In the snow, it did 180's regularly. Why? Tires! I first switched from the origional Conti's to XAS. Worse that the Conti's. That's when it was parked in wet or snow. Found Pirelli CN36's! They were/are great, but 28 years old. Great auto-x tire, too.

Then I found Yoko's! Such sweat tires! They're on my 73 T now. But, they're old too.

So...what do I put on the 914? You can bet that I won't spend 1800 bucks for inferior tires from Coker (with installation). I may be a CW, but when it comes to safety & performance I draw the line.

Sorry to those that haven't come to this conclusion. Drive a 914 in the wet with XAS's. You'll see.
Pat

As I understand it, the current offering of Coker tires employ current methods and materials. The size and exterior design is the only part that conforms to the original tire manufacturer. Coker licenses the original molds from the original manufacturer.

I fully agree that contempprary tire deisign puts more rubber on the road, and in so doing has necessitated an advancement in tread pattern to shed water, however as to construction, I disagree. All tires produced today have to meet DOT requirements of today.

In Maine (and I suspect the majority of states), it is an inspection requirement that the car run with tire size (diameter profile, rating) as recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer. Inspection stations here have been (inceasingly so) adhering to the letter of the law. Not to say that there are no ways around it.

As to wet handling, good judgement in driving prevails. I can out drive my windshield wipers long before the tire grip is affected. May I need to istall new wiper blades.

Hey, aren't you the guy whose car never sees rain? <GRIN>

(Pat, you didn't think I was going to let you off that easy did you?)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 24 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #126

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

James, what is your opinion of my view that the Coker S rated XZX is the closest available choice for a concour 914. Seeking agreement but can tolerate reasoned dissent.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 24 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #127

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 24 2009, 10:39 AM) *

James, what is your opinion of my view that the Coker S rated XZX is the closest available choice for a concour 914. Seeking agreement but can tolerate reasoned dissent.

914-4 or 914-6, what year (early '70 914-4's came with 4.5 rims and the ZX, not XZX would be correct), what does your manual or sticker on the fender near the VIN number say?

I checked my notes and could not find a ZX 165x15SR offering, but did find a XZX 165x15SR, which likely would be correct for the 5.5x15 rim. I believe the HR rating was offered on the 914-6 only.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 24 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #128

I think we are close to saying the same thing. Even Coker only stocks Vredestein in 155 S rated. They have XAS H rated but that would be overkill for a four with 4.5" wheels I think.

My point is that of all the imperfect choices, given that the ZX is NLA, for the purist, the 165SRx15 XZX is the closest to OE available for the 914-4.

BTW, I admired your car and shook your hand at the Portland Parade. Would not expect you to remember me, but hard to forget a beautiful tangerine six driven all the way from Maine!
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 24 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #129

Small Member

Member No.: 633

I am cofused about something here. You are talking concour correct - going for the perfect car - something you can obviously spend years and years to acheive. Doesn't it make sense to simply buy a set of vintage tires (they are out there) throw a tube in them and mount them on your original wheels for events? Then, simply mount the updated/modern tries on another set of wheels?
We are doing this on the Jag - it is running period correct bias ply tires with wide whites on the original wire wheels for any and all shows. However, it's normal set up will be a new set of chrome wires with a nice set of radials - most likely sourced from our local Discount Tire.

You folks are talking parade level/true concour events correct? Not just the local show and shine "concour" put on by your local PCA as a charity event that most participate in.

I dont understand why after all of that prep/restoration, that you would then cut corners.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 24 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #130

I agree with you Scott. That would be the best solution. I did not realize that correct vintage OE tires could be found, especially a full matching set. By the way, I am only in this discussion out of interest in the topic. I do not have or plan to have a show quality 914 at any level.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 24 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #131

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

My car had the original tires on it just prior to purchase. The po changed them and had the shop hold them for me to pick up. They some how got thrown away by the shop owner. Riggggght. I brought this up on the local pca board. The general concencious was 35 year old tires pose a potential saftey issue and would be best to replace anyway. Still undecided on what route to go, but Scott you idea sounds perfect. 1 set for shows and the other for driving.
James, the gas tank label on mine call for HR rated.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 24 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #132

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Feb 24 2009, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 23 2009, 08:44 PM) *

Pat

As I understand it, the current offering of Coker tires employ current methods and materials. The size and exterior design is the only part that conforms to the original tire manufacturer. Coker licenses the original molds from the original manufacturer.

I fully agree that contempprary tire deisign puts more rubber on the road, and in so doing has necessitated an advancement in tread pattern to shed water, however as to construction, I disagree. All tires produced today have to meet DOT requirements of today.

In Maine (and I suspect the majority of states), it is an inspection requirement that the car run with tire size (diameter profile, rating) as recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer. Inspection stations here have been (inceasingly so) adhering to the letter of the law. Not to say that there are no ways around it.

As to wet handling, good judgement in driving prevails. I can out drive my windshield wipers long before the tire grip is affected. May I need to istall new wiper blades.

Hey, aren't you the guy whose car never sees rain? <GRIN>

(Pat, you didn't think I was going to let you off that easy did you?)

Yep, my 914 hasn'r seen water, or any form of it, since 1978.

That will end in 3 years. No more concours, no more namby-pamby care.

When I hit 65, we're touring the perimter of the USA in the 914, with some dips into the southern Rockies. The 914 will be beaten to a pulp. I expect the tour to take 6 months, maybe longer. The car WILL be in rain, so I need tires to support the effort.

It will wear no bra, it will be taken to task. I hope we enjoy the trip, but will have a list of "helpers" along the way in case of problems. I expect the trip to encompass at leat 10K miles.

After that trip, it will be repainted & rebuilt. And sold.

This trip will be my last venture into 914's. I'll be too old to really make an effort after that.

Yes, my 914 will get wet. Yes, it will make the trip with contemporary tires. Yes, it get athorough going over after the trip. Yes, it will be sold. Yes, I will retire from the 914 World.

But that's 3 years away. So, I can remain my salty self until then.

Pat
+Quote Post
slackin' at work
post Feb 24 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #133

i should be working

Member No.: 8,215
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 24 2009, 09:06 PM) *

...And sold.

DIBS!
no need to repaint or rebuild... I'll take it as-is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
seriously.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 25 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #134

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 24 2009, 12:40 PM) *

My point is that of all the imperfect choices, given that the ZX is NLA, for the purist, the 165SRx15 XZX is the closest to OE available for the 914-4.

BTW, I admired your car and shook your hand at the Portland Parade. Would not expect you to remember me, but hard to forget a beautiful tangerine six driven all the way from Maine!

I'd agree with you that the 165SR XZX would be the correct choice for 5.5 inch rims. I thought Coker had a165SR Vredestein available?

My approach for CW, any tire of period correct manufacture (whether on the car when delivered or not) that meets the size recomended by Porsche for that model year, would be acceptable. Tires after all, are a wear item and expected to be replaced.

The Portland Parade was great (aside from my near death experience the evening of the final banquet). Wife and I would like to make a return trip to see the things we missed.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 25 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #135

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 24 2009, 06:06 PM) *

When I hit 65...
This trip will be my last venture into 914's. I'll be too old to really make an effort after that. Yes, I will retire from the 914 World.

But that's 3 years away.

Pat

Yo Pat, Life does not end at 65 bro...no reason to give something up that you have enjoyed all your life just because you make a certain age...

At 65 grow a pony tail, start wearing flip flops and hawaiian shirts - year round...take up surfing or...Have you seen the recent movie 'bucket list'? You are our role model and inspiration! We look to you for...the exemplary 914 lifestyle..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Feb 25 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #136

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Seeing this discussion re: Coker tires reminds me that I still have five stock 4.5 inch steel wheels from my '76 (sold with Yoko ES100s) which were refinished by Harvey Weidman with period correct like-new (less than 50 miles) 165/85 Michelin XZX Coker tires. I offered them up on the World for sale section a few years ago but no one was interested. Anyone interested, PM me.
Later,
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 26 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #137

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 24 2009, 12:45 PM) *

You folks are talking parade level/true concour events correct? Not just the local show and shine "concour" put on by your local PCA as a charity event that most participate in.

I dont understand why after all of that prep/restoration, that you would then cut corners.

I am talking parade level/true concours events. Considering only optional tires when the original OEM is not available. I too have a second set of contemporary ties mounted to 14" Fuchs for regular use. With health issues over the past three years, I've not had the energy or strength to swap them over.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 26 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #138

James, that begs the question, "What tires did you drive to Portland with?" If the contemporary, how pray tell did you transport wife, luggage and a set of tires?
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 26 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #139

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 26 2009, 10:20 AM) *

James, that begs the question, "What tires did you drive to Portland with?" If the contemporary, how pray tell did you transport wife, luggage and a set of tires?

With thoughts of taking in the autox, I mounted a set of new 195/55's on the Mahle's. Before we left for the Parade. Got dinged in the Concours and wound up not running the autox afterall. Expensive way to go, having unmounted and remounted tires.

I put 165HR XAS's on the Mahle's for the San Diego Parade.

Now I have the correct XAS's on the show Mahle's, a set of 195/55's on the 14" Fuchs, a set of 195/55's ready to mount on a second set of Mahle's I picked up.

With the limited number of miles I drive, they will all likely rot long before I wear them out.

I'd interested in hearing anyone's opinion on how best to store tires of the vehicle.
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Feb 26 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #140

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Feb 25 2009, 05:43 PM) *

Seeing this discussion re: Coker tires reminds me that I still have five stock 4.5 inch steel wheels from my '76 (sold with Yoko ES100s) which were refinished by Harvey Weidman with period correct like-new (less than 50 miles) 165/85 Michelin XZX Coker tires. I offered them up on the World for sale section a few years ago but no one was interested. Anyone interested, PM me.
Later,

Sounds to me like Jim Chambers will be contacting you soon for the tires.
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:50 AM