Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

22 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheels and Tires, Let's get this discussion centralized
tod914
post May 15 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #281

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

The 74 I sold, had the original steel wheel and tire. No clear coat was on it. The back of the wheel was sprayed black. And not very well.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 15 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #282

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 15 2010, 07:05 PM) *

The 74 I sold, had the original steel wheel and tire. No clear coat was on it. The back of the wheel was sprayed black. And not very well.

Attached Image

Tod, they were all that way. I think they were painted black first, then the silver - which dusted over onto the back side which gave it the "not very well painted" look.
Afterall, they were just VW workers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 16 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #283

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 15 2010, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 15 2010, 07:05 PM) *

Attached Image

Tod, they were all that way. I think they were painted black first, then the silver - which dusted over onto the back side which gave it the "not very well painted" look.
Afterall, they were just VW workers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Agree with you Tom. On my 72, the wheels were black on the back & front nut center - silver dusting on the fronts. I changed that to make them more attractive. Yes, I'm guilty of non-original steels wheel finish. Doesn't matter, because my chromies will be there for the rest of my life anyway.

Shame on me!
Pat
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 16 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #284

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Ahh black first. That makes sence.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 17 2010, 01:30 AM
Post #285

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jun 17 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #286

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

or you can really go non concours and do this with your Fuchs.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

looks pretty good on the L908 '75 I am building (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Aug 20 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #287

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am refinishing my original Late-Steel wheels. The car came with two sets, one set of Rivieras, and the original steelies from 1974. The spare is in place and in fine shape. The other four were left outside for 20+ years.

So, they are off to be sandblasted right now, and I plan to re-spray asap. I had assumed Wurth Silver would be a close match to factory, but now I find that I can't get it shipped here to CA!

Anyone know where I can buy it WITHIN CA, si don't have to have it shipped into the state?

As for tires, I have all 5 of the originally equipped Michelins. The Riv's will be trod with something fitting for road use, while the Steelies will have the original tired re-mounted.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 20 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #288

TMI....

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 20 2010, 11:26 AM) *

I am refinishing my original Late-Steel wheels. The car came with two sets, one set of Rivieras, and the original steelies from 1974. The spare is in place and in fine shape. The other four were left outside for 20+ years.

So, they are off to be sandblasted right now, and I plan to re-spray asap. I had assumed Wurth Silver would be a close match to factory, but now I find that I can't get it shipped here to CA!

Anyone know where I can buy it WITHIN CA, si don't have to have it shipped into the state?

As for tires, I have all 5 of the originally equipped Michelins. The Riv's will be trod with something fitting for road use, while the Steelies will have the original tired re-mounted.

Randy -
Try GPR, Pelican or Sierra Madre Collection for the Wurth. IIRC - PP shipped me some Wurth Primer earlier this year too, from FL.

I wouldn't trust those original Michi's to be road safe - even to/around a CdE event, but if yours was an 1.8L IIRC, there are several 165SR15 options out there which would be new, road safe & period correct. From Kumho, Bridgestone, to Michelin. If yours is a 2.0, then the 165HR15 are much more limited, or you got to 185/70VR15 XWX Michi for vintage upsize, or 195/65HR15 for current make upsize.

If you want the vintage type Mich XZX, XWX, XAS - new, then try Lucas Tires in Long Beach - worth a drive to the coast (John Ferguson there IIRC, as mentioned in my older post to someone else above), but they're not cheap, which you can check online (Longstone/Lucas, Coker, Universal, etc. all have a few vintage new made tires with pricing online)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 23 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #289

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 20 2010, 12:26 PM) *

Try WolfsburgWest.
Pat
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Aug 31 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #290

Green Teen 66

Pat and all,

the wheels are looking good. almost done. I have to rub them down with 0000 steel wool and then polish.

the old Michelins were too far gone to remount. so for OE looking tires, I am going to with Michelin XZX in 165SR15. Coker has them for $150 a piece.
Before I order though, I need advice on a possible substitute. There is a 165HR15 from Vredestein available, for only $100 each. Saving $200 sounds great but never heard of this tire.

Will it cost me points in CW?

+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 31 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #291

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Vredestein is a European brand and was around in the '70's. It was never original equipment on Porsches but was a common replacement tire. I bought a set of 155's for my steel OE '70 wheels (4.5") and am very pleased with them.
They are "period correct". Of course the XZX Michelins are closer to original equipment but not exact. The factory tire was the ZX.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 1 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #292

TMI....

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Aug 31 2010, 07:14 PM) *

Vredestein is a European brand and was around in the '70's. It was never original equipment on Porsches but was a common replacement tire. I bought a set of 155's for my steel OE '70 wheels (4.5") and am very pleased with them.
They are "period correct". Of course the XZX Michelins are closer to original equipment but not exact. The factory tire was the ZX.

Hey Jim, according to the Vredstein factory folks, they were one of the suppliers to Porsche & on 914s for Euro cars only (I think I posted their reply email in the O&H Tires thread), as were Semperit, Continental & Dunlop. Tires & mfgrs. varied over the years, models & whatever subcontract came up at the time, so various Michi X-series tires were used.

IIRC Pat Garvey's 72 914 had Conti's originally & my 73 2L had Semperit 401's on it from the factory (unless the dealership swapped the Dunlops/Fuchs for the 1st buyer - I'm 2nd owner), & I know a couple of other 914 original owners who had Sempi's as OE. Those Sempi's were great tires, handling as well as the Dunlops SP57's but lasted 3x as long!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 28 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #293

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 31 2010, 07:33 PM) *

Pat and all,

the wheels are looking good. almost done. I have to rub them down with 0000 steel wool and then polish.

the old Michelins were too far gone to remount. so for OE looking tires, I am going to with Michelin XZX in 165SR15. Coker has them for $150 a piece.
Before I order though, I need advice on a possible substitute. There is a 165HR15 from Vredestein available, for only $100 each. Saving $200 sounds great but never heard of this tire.

Hell with the tires!

Ca we see pics of the wheels?
Pat
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Oct 29 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #294

Green Teen 66

Hey Pat,
I posted them somewhere on here a few weeks back. I think they came out pretty good. I had the original spare to compare to (the one with the michelin mounted in pic), which was a great reference.

I sprayed the backs with Wurth Satin black, then the fronts with Wurth White. pics were taken at sunset, so a little dark. color looks just right compared to the OE spare.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10656-1288375817.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10656-1288375817.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 2 2010, 11:36 PM
Post #295

TMI....

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 31 2010, 06:33 PM) *

Pat and all,

According to the Zone 8 Judging class I took in March, they won't judge the originality aspects (e.g.: tires) at local Zone 8 CdE events, only at Parade, & some regional events in the case of "tie breakers". Vredesteins have been on Parade winners from that era.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Nov 3 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #296

Green Teen 66

Thanks for the info. Will be hard for this car to win, since it really is all about originality, and not how well I detail it.

But, gonna give it a try anyway.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 4 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #297

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Nov 4 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #298

Green Teen 66

Not sure yet. My schedule has been screwed up. I had hope to make the Santa Barbara region event as the first on my schedule, but car is not ready.
I got seriously delayed when I decided to have the ECU and MAF completely rebuilt, instead of replacing them with used/unkown parts. That cost me 5 weeks of waiting, and a lot more cash.

I haven't even tried to fire the engine yet. All parts are back, and now we have to get back to work on it.

Unfortunately, my son's Camaro jumped in line. I have to either put new heads on an old worn out V8 or find a crate engine he can afford.

But, 914 is in good hands. It sits on a lift at a very clean shop, waiting for us.

When would the next Zone 8 event be??

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 4 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #299

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 6 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #300

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 29 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Hey Pat,
I posted them somewhere on here a few weeks back. I think they came out pretty good. I had the original spare to compare to (the one with the michelin mounted in pic), which was a great reference.

I sprayed the backs with Wurth Satin black, then the fronts with Wurth White. pics were taken at sunset, so a little dark. color looks just right compared to the OE spare.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10656-1288375817.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10656-1288375817.2.jpg)

NICE! Great job.
Pat
+Quote Post

22 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:48 AM