Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What tires should I use?, For some spirited street driving
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Pigeon feeders attract me

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,942
Region Association: None

Hey Guys,

As I'm nearing completion of my fuel system resto on my teener...I'm faced with the choice of tires, as the first stop for me is going to be discount tire for a balancing; as the car shimmies when I get around 65 mph, then a trip to gashead motorworks for an alignment, as it pulls to the right. I was thinking, since I'm at DT, mayhaps I should put some new shoes on there.

I HATE the tires on the teener, they are 185 65 R15's from god knows who...they say HR metric. They have ZERO grip and I've almost spun the car twice because of their utter lack of traction...and my utter lack of skill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif)

I'd like some recommendations from you guys...I was thinking of some Falken Azenis in 205 50 r 15's, but I've found on here that they are so small the engine is really revved up on the highway, and I would like to take the car to galveston a few times, and screaming engines on the highway would get annoying, as houston highway speeds are in the 80's.

Any recommendations for me that DONT involve flares, 5 lugs, or prayers to Ra, god of the sun?

Having a somewhat accurate speedo would be nice...
I'm running stock 15X5.5 Mahle's with a 2 inch drop.
This car is unlikely to see a whole lot of track time until I put my dual 40's on it...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 13 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

for cheap fun 195 65x15 kumo keeps the speedo accurate sticky not good for the rain

QUOTE(purple @ Aug 13 2007, 01:21 PM) *

Hey Guys,

As I'm nearing completion of my fuel system resto on my teener...I'm faced with the choice of tires, as the first stop for me is going to be discount tire for a balancing; as the car shimmies when I get around 65 mph, then a trip to gashead motorworks for an alignment, as it pulls to the right. I was thinking, since I'm at DT, mayhaps I should put some new shoes on there.

I HATE the tires on the teener, they are 185 65 R15's from god knows who...they say HR metric. They have ZERO grip and I've almost spun the car twice because of their utter lack of traction...and my utter lack of skill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif)

I'd like some recommendations from you guys...I was thinking of some Falken Azenis in 205 50 r 15's, but I've found on here that they are so small the engine is really revved up on the highway, and I would like to take the car to galveston a few times, and screaming engines on the highway would get annoying, as houston highway speeds are in the 80's.

Any recommendations for me that DONT involve flares, 5 lugs, or prayers to Ra, god of the sun?

Having a somewhat accurate speedo would be nice...
I'm running stock 15X5.5 Mahle's with a 2 inch drop.
This car is unlikely to see a whole lot of track time until I put my dual 40's on it...

+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Thanks dr914, I dont plan on EVER driving this car in the rain, but being houston you can never plan on that....How bad in the rain are we talking? The tires I have are downright hazardous when wet...
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 13 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(purple @ Aug 13 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Thanks dr914, I dont plan on EVER driving this car in the rain, but being houston you can never plan on that....How bad in the rain are we talking? The tires I have are downright hazardous when wet...

I have Pirelli P6000s as street tires that have served well on the track for my 914 currently. I have never tracked in the rain, but twice have been caught out and didn't have any troubles. Mine are in 205-60/15.

Last fall I scored a set of Fuchs to use as track wheels and I've put Azenis RT615s (205-50/15) on those. From others that I know, I am told to not drive on these if water is pooling on the road surface (ie heavy rain) as these do not evacuate water very well. But in the dry, they are supposed to be fantastic performance for how much they cost. YMMV...
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 13 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,349

I'm leaning towards Bridgstone Potenza G009's in 195/60/15
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Besides the name, the reviews state that the 'ride quality' is great and road noise is low. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireD...02047&ar=60

Judging by american tastes in cars' rides...does 'improved ride quality' mean squishy and loose?

Besides the cool name, what do you guys think of that one?
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Aug 13 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,842

QUOTE(purple @ Aug 13 2007, 01:28 PM) *

I've got the Khumo Ecsta ASX's, at 195/55/VR15. They also sell them as 195/65s, if you want to keep the speedo correct. They are an all weather tire, but they still have pretty darn good dry grip, and they aren't that expensive at all. As I 'understand' it, they use a pretty soft compound, so they won't last as long as some other street tires. It depends on how it'll be used. I've been happy with them. That's all I can say.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #8

BMX, are these the ones you're talking about?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/readRevie...rd=15&ar=65

A lot of people bitch about how long they don't last, but as this is a fun car...I could give a shit, as long as they handle well
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 13 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #9

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I have been using Hankook RS-Z212s for a while and I like them. Lots of grip, cheap, and available in 195-50. Yes it increases the revs a bit on the highway, but its not THAT bad and keeps me under 90 mph for the most part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just recently I put a set of Azenis on the front and they are even stickier.

-Tony
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Aug 13 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,435

Okay (stand on soap box)
I have been a road racer and auto -x er since the '80's...I also work for a tire manufacturer....for the last 12 years and here's the poop!

You get what you pay for.

Michelin and Bridgestone are the ONLY companies that spend billions of dollars on R & D. Some companies follow in niche areas and may even have a decent performance tire...but nobody, nobody is at the cutting edge like the BIG 2.

Having said that...you now have to figure out threough all the marketing as to whaich tire in the multitudes produced will suit your application.

Those who aren't very good drivers, or have never experienced a truly good tire will tell you about the good looking "miracle tires" cheap...stay away from the Hankook, Falkin, Nitto type stuff...looks good (but it ain't)

Toyo and Yokohama both make a decent tire for the street...Kumho used to produce low volume lines for BFGoodrich (michelin) and copied their old technology so the V700 is a decent tire. The Goodyear F1 is a nice tire (at least they make one)...Hoosier (General) make good race tires...stay away from continental and Dunlop.

Sport tires are different than Touring tires, but can have a similar speed rating and good performance while remaining quiet and smooth (you give up "turn in" responsiveness)

The Bridgestone G009 is a decent low cost street tire for a psudo sporty tire the RE960 is much better. but if Bridgestone is your brand and you're a street only guy look at the Turanza touring line...Turanza LSV ...right at home on a sports copupe like a beemer...If you want the other end the Potenza RE-01 is a great choice.

Michelin Pilot sport cups are also rated highly.

Tires are as individual as paint...get the ones that are right and you'll love them forever.

(get off soap box)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Aug 13 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I bought Michelin Pilot 195/65/15 and like everything else I've bought for my new car, I haven't yet put them on. Mounted them on Fuchs alloys.

Car came with steel wheels and they have 165SR15 Kelly Metric's.

Paul

+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #12

Thanks for that awesome response, woobn8r. What I understand you to say is that the big two are pretty much a safe bet for a tire for this car? I'd like to get some nice tires that are good and streetable. I'd like a tire that's good for the street for now as my car is not track worthy just yet (weber progressive, not good enough harness mounting, mystery meat engine with hydraulic lifters, possibly a bus engine)

You would say I'd be well served by the RE960? It would be nice to put some decent rubber on this car, as I think the stuff that's on there came from wal-mart and are best used as bumpers for tugboats...
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Aug 13 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #13

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

woobn8r,

You say that Hankook, Falkin, etc are crap, but you don't really say why? Care to explain? A friend of mine that has owned a wheel and tire shop for 20 years loves the Hankooks, and has been running them on several of his Lotuses (Loti???). And he's been racing and autocrossing since he could drive, so he might now a little about tires.

I personally don't know the difference between good tires and bad tires, but I know that a lot people seem to like the Hankooks and Falkins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Oh boy, what have I started

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Aug 13 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #15

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just curious as to why the cheaper brands are crap. I'm in the same boat as you purple, And I've been leaning towards the Hankook RS-2s because of my friends recommendation, as well as several 914World members.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Aug 13 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Let you in on one of the best kept 'open' secrets around.

FUZION HRi's cannot be beat - the wet traction is astounding, the road noise about completely vanishes away - they wear like iron when the alignment is in - and they are only 45 bucks each from tire rack.

How do i know?

1. I am an ASE master tech with Toyota and this is what we are turning our customers on to - they are PROVEN!

2. I have them on both my teener and my pontiac everyday driver - they are quiet and grip like a cat on carpet.

3. I have 52,000 miles on my pontiac ones and still have 63% tread remaining.

4. I live in SoFl where a rain storm means 2-4 inches will drop in about 30 minutes and I have NEVER had a hydroplane issue - NEVER

5. They are a new company formed by Bridgestone - after the firestone debacle Bridgestone took all their best talent and formed a new company "FUZION" to rebuild firestone (lost revenue cause everybody does not trust them anymore)from within, by providing the baddest ass tires at the deepest discounts imaginable - they succeeded!!

6. Just go to tirerack.com and read what 1000's of others have to rave about these tires - I have some posts on there as well ---

One of the very few best ever investments I have ever made. I took a chance on them when they first came to market. I was very low on funds and had fingers crossed - never looking back. Every car from here on out will be equipped!!

The ZR series are "SUMMER" only and have nearly zero traction when freezing, snow, and in many cases, wet. They are a ultra performance DRY tire only.
+Quote Post
purple
post Aug 13 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #17

Thanks J, I'll take a look at these when I can. I need only summer tires anyway since i'm in houston.

purple
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 13 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,349

Usually by this time, someone chimes in about how they love those ugly ES100's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Aug 13 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

I have the Fuzion ZRi in a 205/55 - 15, which lets you retain near stock profile in a 205. Not many manufactures carry this oddball size. They are a decent tire for the money, I AX with them, not a hardcore AX street tire, but they stick pretty well.

Tire Plus carries this brand if you have one local.

Fuzion ZRi
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Aug 13 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,435

Well guys the Fuzion ZRi is a Bridgestone RE750 with a different mould...Bridgestone offered them to the tuner market to compete with low priced tires as well as to build loyalty with a newer generation....they didn't want to spend $$$ to R&D a less expensive tire...so they "borrowed" a current casing and by calling it a new sales channel (with less of a budget and not a new company...same people too) made the best secret in the industry value wise....Although your "Firestone" story was amusing...BTW Bridgestone is the Largest Tire and rubber company in the world and recovered from the voluntary recall shortly afterwards posting profits exceeding everyone in the industry...some others are still losing $$$.

MtM...The cheap tires are not new technology, the smaller companies just cannot invest the money in R&D that the big 2 can. Also their engineering is not upgraded...ok maybe a cosmetic face lift, but the casings are years out of date and nowhere near state of the art....(with the V700 victoracer proviso).

I venture to say that your dealer friend sells Hankook ...probably a few so he'd better stand behind them...but if he's a competitive auto -x guy I bet he'd get lower times with Hoosiers, BFGs, Toyo Ra1s or any other decent R compound tire....

Trust me, (I'm not making any money here) Tires to your car are like speakers to your audio system....if you go cheap it lowers the quality of the whole system...but if you have never had a good system or can't tell the difference you'll be happy with crap...and some people are.

Purple, If I were you I'd go see these tires in person...the RE960 may be too much tire for your application...I dont know if you want a soft ride or a firm one...if firm, how firm? You probably want a tire that looks good too...I think the Turanza LSV is a great touring tire for a street driven narrow body where comfort, less noise and performance are all of importance...if you want the sporty look you also get better steering response and more noise. Shorter sidewalls must be stiffer and transmit more "road feel" (all of this is in general terms of course)...I'm guessing by your original post you are looking for a balance...tires are a personal thing IMHO.

Anyone that can quickly reccomend a tire for you from the multitudes on the market without playing 20 questions first just wants your $ and doesn't really care. Car enthusiasts whether they can tell the difference or not usually care.... and in time will come to learn what they like in tires as others learn what they like in wine (it comes with experience).

But it still holds true...you get what you pay for.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 08:22 AM