Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help me buy a welder
Chuck
post Aug 14 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #1

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,632
Region Association: Northstar Region

I was going to use my brother's 220 volt Lincoln for my car restoration (new pans, hell hole kit and long stiffening kit). Unfortunately, due to the limitaitons with the 100 amp panel in my new house, an additional 220 volt tap would be VERY expensive (think new line under the street from the city into my house with all new panel). Sooooo . . .. back to 110 volt options.

I was looking a the Lincoln SP135T. However, for $150 more I can get the 135 Plus with the variable adjustment (versus the click stops with the 135T). Is the variable adjustment worth the extra $150?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
highways
post Aug 15 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,296

QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 14 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Is the variable adjustment worth the extra $150?

Yes. And you shouldn't need 220v. Sheetmetal is pretty light and you don't need alot of voltage to weld it. Those Lincolns are great. Make sure you get a MIG welder.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Aug 15 2007, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I am useing a Hobart 140 and I have welded fender flares,GT chassis stiffening kit and it has worked great. Welding with shielding gas is much cleaner than with shielded wire.
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Aug 15 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #4

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Get the Linc PRO MIG 135...Its a GREAT machine...20lb tank too...not the little 5lb er...I have gone through 15lbs of wire and 3 tanks so far with no issues... and welded up to 1/4" steel. I think it was $500 or so + the tank cost WELL WORTH IT!

Josh
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 15 2007, 07:29 AM
Post #5

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

For less money, the Northern Tools 135 mig will do a nice job it can weld as thin as 26 gauge. Not a super quality machine like the Hobart but can do a nice job for around 300 bucks it bought mine for 290 on sale.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 15 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Go with the Lincoln 135. A 220 Welder is too much for the sheet metal, a 110 welder will have much more control.

Lots of guys like to have infinite control over wire temp, but I did not find the click stops on the wire temp to be a problem.

Zach
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #7

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

When I bought my welder (sp135t) I asked an aircraft mechanic friend, who I always looked up to as a welder, the same question. He told me not to get the variable adjustment. I can't remember why, I think it was something like there are an infinite selection of wrong positions and only one right position? So you end up F-ing with the knob too much. As an amateur home welder, the 135t has done everything I need, from sheet metal to heavy steel.

I bought mine at Home Depot on one of their "No interest until Jan 1" deals. If I was buying outright, I might consider a Miller or a Hobart. Like I said though, that Lincoln has served me well.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 15 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #8

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

'nother vote for the Lincoln... I have abused mine for 6 years and 3 cars and it is still running strong.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 15 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

You don't need to add 220, you have it. Tap into two 110 breakers, neutral and

ground. Just make sure that the breakers are for circuits that are light duty and

you can turn these items off when you are welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Aug 15 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 15 2007, 06:38 AM) *

You don't need to add 220, you have it. Tap into two 110 breakers, neutral and

ground. Just make sure that the breakers are for circuits that are light duty and

you can turn these items off when you are welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That's the problem. The previous owner already has everything in the panel double and triple tapped for when he installed the 220v hot tub and 220v whirlpool in the basement. So the panel is already at max and I need to add 220 for my compressor yet. Could it be made to work? Yes. BUT, I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable with how it would work. To do it right and reliably would require a new panel.

So, update my panel so I can borrow a welder or just buy a 110v unit. Plus, this way the unit is mine versus borrowed and I think a 110 volt unit will suit my needs just fine.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #11

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 15 2007, 10:00 AM) *

That's the problem. The previous owner already has everything in the panel double and triple tapped for when he installed the 220v hot tub and 220v whirlpool in the basement. So the panel is already at max and I need to add 220 for my compressor yet. Could it be made to work? Yes. BUT, I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable with how it would work. To do it right and reliably would require a new panel.

I had a similar problem when I needed 220 for my compressor, so I ran a sub-panel in the garage. I would think you could do something similar and maybe relocate a few of the doubled circuits to your sub-panel to make space for the breaker the sub-panel will require.

Also, if you are adding 220 for a compressor, you could use the same outlet. You just can't have both plugged in at the same time.

Either way, probably won't max out a 115v welder. If you want to do thick steel, like 1/4" you just can't MIG it. You have to convert back to Flux core wire.

+Quote Post
Chuck
post Aug 15 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 15 2007, 10:00 AM) *

I had a similar problem when I needed 220 for my compressor, so I ran a sub-panel in the garage. I would think you could do something similar and maybe relocate a few of the doubled circuits to your sub-panel to make space for the breaker the sub-panel will require.

Also, if you are adding 220 for a compressor, you could use the same outlet. You just can't have both plugged in at the same time.

Either way, probably won't max out a 115v welder. If you want to do thick steel, like 1/4" you just can't MIG it. You have to convert back to Flux core wire.

Immediate welding chores are install of an Engman long kit and hell hole kit, new floorpan, some other rust repair and install of some flares. Heaviest duty will be the 1/8" long kit steel.

I gave SERIOUS thought to a subpanel. But I thought that if I was going to go the route of adding a subpanel and then moving some of the double and triple taps into it to clean up the main panel, might as well just do it right the first time and do a new panel; which I may do at some point in the future.

It's just that for right now, the only thing driving that would be to borrow a welder whereas I can just go buy a 110v that will do what I need. Plus, the money I save in not doing the panel right now I get to spend on my car. (Now, don't go telling anyone, especially a signifcant other, that for what I will spend on a MIG welder, tank and accessories I could cover the panel upgrade and borrow the welder, because this way, I get to buy a welder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

I'm leaning towards the Lincoln SP135T. That being said, I'm also going to give the Northern Tool 135 a look. The Lincoln is $460 locally (Home Depot and elsewhere) and the Northern Unit is about $340.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #13

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 15 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Immediate welding chores are install of an Engman long kit and hell hole kit, new floorpan, some other rust repair and install of some flares. Heaviest duty will be the 1/8" long kit steel.

You should have no problem using a 135 for that stuff. 1/8" might be right at the limit of the MIG. But, you can always use Flux core wire. Still 1/8 should be no problem for the MIG.

QUOTE(Chuck @ Aug 15 2007, 10:36 AM) *

I'm leaning towards the Lincoln SP135T. That being said, I'm also going to give the Northern Tool 135 a look. The Lincoln is $460 locally (Home Depot and elsewhere) and the Northern Unit is about $340.

Just make sure if you whatever you buy comes with the stuff to set it up for MIG. Sometimes thats an extra cost (around$100) I know the Lincoln comes ready for MIG. Its the one I bought. And figure another $100 for a bottle full of gas. And maybe another $30 for a helmet. I got a cheap "Auto Darkening" unit from harbor freight for around $50. Not sure if "Cheap" and "Auto Darkening" should be used in the same sentance, but I still have vision.
+Quote Post
Luke
post Aug 15 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,113

The best deal I could find on my Lincoln was from Indiana Oxygen ( no tax and free shipping ) Ebay and their own web site .. really nice guys ... and the machine was here in 2 days !

I went 220v 180c .. with the constant voltage ( finer adjustment ) ... very happy with it ...

Spring for an auto-darkening hood if you don't have one ... and if you have any bucks left ..the cart is a life saver working on cars .. the leads on the welder are pretty short ...

+Quote Post
alpha434
post Aug 15 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #15

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Get a real autodarkening helmet. One with the bitchin-fast response. It's worth every penny after a days worth of welding. The cheap ones always end up getting a little light through before flicking on. Imagine a camera flash every time you pull the trigger. Bad for your eyes.

Or just go with an old fashioned flip helmet. Low budget, and low risk.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Aug 15 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #16

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

It's just that for right now, the only thing driving that would be to borrow a welder whereas I can just go buy a 110v that will do what I need. Plus, the money I save in not doing the panel right now I get to spend on my car. (Now, don't go telling anyone, especially a signifcant other, that for what I will spend on a MIG welder, tank and accessories I could cover the panel upgrade and borrow the welder, because this way, I get to buy a welder. ).

Why didn't you just say so in the first place, "Of course you need a new welder, and a helmet, and gloves, and a hood".
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Aug 15 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 15 2007, 05:29 PM) *

It's just that for right now, the only thing driving that would be to borrow a welder whereas I can just go buy a 110v that will do what I need. Plus, the money I save in not doing the panel right now I get to spend on my car. (Now, don't go telling anyone, especially a signifcant other, that for what I will spend on a MIG welder, tank and accessories I could cover the panel upgrade and borrow the welder, because this way, I get to buy a welder. ).

Why didn't you just say so in the first place, "Of course you need a new welder, and a helmet, and gloves, and a hood".

I knew I could count on this group for discretion and understanding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 16 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #18

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

If you've got the electric for a 220 then get it, but a good 110 unit is pretty handy, and you can weld anything you need to on your 914.

I think the adjustment helps on less than pristine metal, and you can really tune it for the process. I've had no problem with the variable adjustments on my Century 110, or my Miller 175.

Do not get a machine without sheilding gas. For doing restoration work you'll get much better results. In tight spots you could miss getting all the slag off and end up with problems. You can't weld up a hole as easy either.
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Aug 17 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #19

Thanks everyone for your assistance. I ordered a new Lincoln SP135T this evening.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 17 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #20

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Just run the cord to your dryer plug and use that with the dryer unpluged, if you have an electric dryer that is!!

my .02
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:47 PM