Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Injector Issues..., ...your opinions please?
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached Image

After resolving fuel delivery / pump issues on a 1973 914 1.7 that has not been started for over ten years...

As soon as the EFI system built-up pressure, two of the fuel injectors started shooting fuel all over the engine bay. My assumption is that the injectors are leaking from the hoses between the fuel rail and injector body (the hoses look cracked and in pretty poor shape).

I do not know if the injectors themselves are good, but it seems like a shame to throw them in the trash just because the built-in fuel hoses are bad!

Since I don't yet know the condition of the engine, I am looking for a cost-effective method for getting it started for the first time.

Questions:

1. Can I salvage these injectors myself? Can an OEM hose be somehow cut-off of an injector and a new hose attached with a clamp?

2. A local auto parts store sells GP-Sorensen fuel injectors for $69.00 each; however, I've read some negative reviews of this brand. Anyone have any experience with GP-Sorensen brand injectors in a 914?

3. I realize that remanufactured Bosch injectors are available. Does anyone have any experience with using rebuilt injectors?

And, lastly, if this were your car, what would you do?

Any advise you can share with a "newbie" is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Keith

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cano
post Aug 15 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,854
Region Association: None

When my injectors were rebuilt, the old lines were removed and new ones clamped on. I think you can just grind the metal clamp down that holds the short hoses on, pull them off, and replace with a correct clamp.
+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 15 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Yup, cut off the old hoses, clamp on the *proper* hose, with a *proper* hose clamp. And while you're in there, replace ALL of the other fuel lines.

And then move on to the rubber brake lines.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #4

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2007, 12:25 PM) *

Yup, cut off the old hoses, clamp on the *proper* hose, with a *proper* hose clamp. And while you're in there, replace ALL of the other fuel lines.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges. All available from PelicanParts. You should probably replace all your rubber FI lines, or carry a fire extiguisher.

Also, you can get your injectors tested and cleaned with new seals, filter screens, and pintle caps by witchhunter performance $60 for all 4, and they are super fast.

http://www.witchhunter.com/
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Aug 15 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #5

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 03:36 PM) *

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges.

Please try to get 7mm metric hose. 5/16" fuel injection hose (what you'll probably find at the FLAPS) is closer in diameter to 8mm and if used will leak sooner or later. You also want to get FI clamps... they don't look like the worm type clamps in your picture above.

BTDT. The guy who built Babydoll's engine used 5/16" hose and worm clamps and the engine bay always smelled of gasoline. We don't need any 914's turned into car-b-ques, they're rare enough already!
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 15 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

BTW the proper injectors for a 1.7 are Yellow in color not Green (2.0 application).
as advised above start by replacing all the old lines then youll be able to tell if its the injectors themselves that are leaking (and it is possible).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
greybeard50
post Aug 15 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,909

Great advice & info here...

Am I the only one in the world who did not know that "FLAPS" meant "Friendly Local Auto Products Store" ???

I feel so....you know....stupid.
+Quote Post
xperu
post Aug 15 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #8

TEXAS

Member No.: 6,213

Yes, I agree, the injectors should be yellow.
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #9

kfieler

QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2007, 12:25 PM) *

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges. All available from PelicanParts. You should probably replace all your rubber FI lines, or carry a fire extiguisher.

Also, you can get your injectors tested and cleaned with new seals, filter screens, and pintle caps by witchhunter performance $60 for all 4, and they are super fast.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Jasons:

Thanks for the tip about Witchhunter. That really looks like a cost-effective approach to solving my problem!
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #10

kfieler

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 15 2007, 12:56 PM) *

BTW the proper injectors for a 1.7 are Yellow in color not Green (2.0 application).
as advised above start by replacing all the old lines then youll be able to tell if its the injectors themselves that are leaking (and it is possible).

Yes... I noticed that too (Green injectors rather than Yellow, for a 1.7). Alas, green injectors are what came with the car - so that is what I'm stuck with for now. I am making an assumption that the Green injectors WILL work in a 1.7 - possibly just cutting-down on fuel economy?

Thanks!

- Keith
+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 15 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

PM me your address, I've got a bag of tested 1.7 injectors. I'll send you a set.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #12

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 01:48 PM) *

Yes... I noticed that too (Green injectors rather than Yellow, for a 1.7). Alas, green injectors are what came with the car - so that is what I'm stuck with for now. I am making an assumption that the Green injectors WILL work in a 1.7 - possibly just cutting-down on fuel economy?

Thanks!

- Keith

Hey maybe I can buy you 20hp. Are you sure your car doesn't have a 2.0 in it somehow? Check the case numbers and/or do the heads have 3 or 4 studs where the intake runners mount?
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #13

kfieler

Attached Image
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 01:48 PM) *

Thanks!

- Keith

Hey maybe I can buy you 20hp. Are you sure your car doesn't have a 2.0 in it somehow? Check the case numbers and/or do the heads have 3 or 4 studs where the intake runners mount?

I checked the case number and, unless I am mis-informed, the engine checked-out to be a California 1.7.

I am showing ignorance here, but is this what you mean by the intake runners? As pictured, there are 4 studs.

Thanks for the help!

- Keith
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 15 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #14

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM) *

I checked the case number and, unless I am mis-informed, the engine checked-out to be a California 1.7.

I am showing ignorance here, but is this what you mean by the intake runners? As pictured, there are 4 studs.

Thanks for the help!

- Keith

Yeah, those 4. If you had 3, that *could* be an indication of a 2.0. I thought there just might be a chance you got the rest of the 2.0 with the injectors.
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #15

kfieler

QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Thanks for the help!

- Keith

Yeah, those 4. If you had 3, that *could* be an indication of a 2.0. I thought there just might be a chance you got the rest of the 2.0 with the injectors.

Ha... for some reason I never seem to be lucky like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Unless someone has been inside the engine, I believe I probably have the original engine that came with the car - along with a set of rebuilt, stock 1.7 heads. Oh well, it's a start!

Thanks!
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 15 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

Carrying on with the 'bonus' engine thought: If someone put in big cylinders and pistons maybe they would put in the 2 litre injectors?

It would also be interesting to see if the ECU part number married up with the engine type.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:46 PM