Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injector Issues...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

After resolving fuel delivery / pump issues on a 1973 914 1.7 that has not been started for over ten years...

As soon as the EFI system built-up pressure, two of the fuel injectors started shooting fuel all over the engine bay. My assumption is that the injectors are leaking from the hoses between the fuel rail and injector body (the hoses look cracked and in pretty poor shape).

I do not know if the injectors themselves are good, but it seems like a shame to throw them in the trash just because the built-in fuel hoses are bad!

Since I don't yet know the condition of the engine, I am looking for a cost-effective method for getting it started for the first time.

Questions:

1. Can I salvage these injectors myself? Can an OEM hose be somehow cut-off of an injector and a new hose attached with a clamp?

2. A local auto parts store sells GP-Sorensen fuel injectors for $69.00 each; however, I've read some negative reviews of this brand. Anyone have any experience with GP-Sorensen brand injectors in a 914?

3. I realize that remanufactured Bosch injectors are available. Does anyone have any experience with using rebuilt injectors?

And, lastly, if this were your car, what would you do?

Any advise you can share with a "newbie" is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Keith

Cano
When my injectors were rebuilt, the old lines were removed and new ones clamped on. I think you can just grind the metal clamp down that holds the short hoses on, pull them off, and replace with a correct clamp.
markb
Yup, cut off the old hoses, clamp on the *proper* hose, with a *proper* hose clamp. And while you're in there, replace ALL of the other fuel lines.

And then move on to the rubber brake lines.
jasons
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2007, 12:25 PM) *

Yup, cut off the old hoses, clamp on the *proper* hose, with a *proper* hose clamp. And while you're in there, replace ALL of the other fuel lines.

agree.gif

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges. All available from PelicanParts. You should probably replace all your rubber FI lines, or carry a fire extiguisher.

Also, you can get your injectors tested and cleaned with new seals, filter screens, and pintle caps by witchhunter performance $60 for all 4, and they are super fast.

http://www.witchhunter.com/
zymurgist
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 03:36 PM) *

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges.

agree.gif

Please try to get 7mm metric hose. 5/16" fuel injection hose (what you'll probably find at the FLAPS) is closer in diameter to 8mm and if used will leak sooner or later. You also want to get FI clamps... they don't look like the worm type clamps in your picture above.

BTDT. The guy who built Babydoll's engine used 5/16" hose and worm clamps and the engine bay always smelled of gasoline. We don't need any 914's turned into car-b-ques, they're rare enough already!
914werke
BTW the proper injectors for a 1.7 are Yellow in color not Green (2.0 application).
as advised above start by replacing all the old lines then youll be able to tell if its the injectors themselves that are leaking (and it is possible).
greybeard50
Great advice & info here...

Am I the only one in the world who did not know that "FLAPS" meant "Friendly Local Auto Products Store" ???

I feel so....you know....stupid.
xperu
agree.gif
Yes, I agree, the injectors should be yellow.
kfieler
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 15 2007, 12:25 PM) *

agree.gif

Make sure you use fuel line rated for FI (not cheap) and hose clamps with rounded edges. All available from PelicanParts. You should probably replace all your rubber FI lines, or carry a fire extiguisher.

Also, you can get your injectors tested and cleaned with new seals, filter screens, and pintle caps by witchhunter performance $60 for all 4, and they are super fast.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Jasons:

Thanks for the tip about Witchhunter. That really looks like a cost-effective approach to solving my problem!
kfieler
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 15 2007, 12:56 PM) *

BTW the proper injectors for a 1.7 are Yellow in color not Green (2.0 application).
as advised above start by replacing all the old lines then youll be able to tell if its the injectors themselves that are leaking (and it is possible).

Yes... I noticed that too (Green injectors rather than Yellow, for a 1.7). Alas, green injectors are what came with the car - so that is what I'm stuck with for now. I am making an assumption that the Green injectors WILL work in a 1.7 - possibly just cutting-down on fuel economy?

Thanks!

- Keith
markb
PM me your address, I've got a bag of tested 1.7 injectors. I'll send you a set.
jasons
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 01:48 PM) *

Yes... I noticed that too (Green injectors rather than Yellow, for a 1.7). Alas, green injectors are what came with the car - so that is what I'm stuck with for now. I am making an assumption that the Green injectors WILL work in a 1.7 - possibly just cutting-down on fuel economy?

Thanks!

- Keith

Hey maybe I can buy you 20hp. Are you sure your car doesn't have a 2.0 in it somehow? Check the case numbers and/or do the heads have 3 or 4 studs where the intake runners mount?
kfieler
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 01:48 PM) *

Thanks!

- Keith

Hey maybe I can buy you 20hp. Are you sure your car doesn't have a 2.0 in it somehow? Check the case numbers and/or do the heads have 3 or 4 studs where the intake runners mount?

I checked the case number and, unless I am mis-informed, the engine checked-out to be a California 1.7.

I am showing ignorance here, but is this what you mean by the intake runners? As pictured, there are 4 studs.

Thanks for the help!

- Keith
jasons
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM) *

I checked the case number and, unless I am mis-informed, the engine checked-out to be a California 1.7.

I am showing ignorance here, but is this what you mean by the intake runners? As pictured, there are 4 studs.

Thanks for the help!

- Keith

Yeah, those 4. If you had 3, that *could* be an indication of a 2.0. I thought there just might be a chance you got the rest of the 2.0 with the injectors.
kfieler
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 15 2007, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 15 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Thanks for the help!

- Keith

Yeah, those 4. If you had 3, that *could* be an indication of a 2.0. I thought there just might be a chance you got the rest of the 2.0 with the injectors.

Ha... for some reason I never seem to be lucky like that. wacko.gif

Unless someone has been inside the engine, I believe I probably have the original engine that came with the car - along with a set of rebuilt, stock 1.7 heads. Oh well, it's a start!

Thanks!
swl
Carrying on with the 'bonus' engine thought: If someone put in big cylinders and pistons maybe they would put in the 2 litre injectors?

It would also be interesting to see if the ECU part number married up with the engine type.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.