Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refinishing dash face, Question about area around heater controls
Lavanaut
post Aug 21 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Search turned up lots of good info answering some other questions I had, but not this one. I pulled/replaced my heater controls while doing my dash recovering project. I just started rewiring the controls, before refinishing the dash, when I realized that this might be a mistake. Becuase I didn't have a factory dash to start with though, I don't have a good point of reference.

I'm rambling. Here's my question: is it only the chrome trim piece surrounding the heater controls that covers the dash face vinyl, or do the heater controls themselves overlap the vinyl as well?

Here's a "before" pic, kind of blurry, sorry. You can see the wood just sits up against the edges of the controls (not underneath them at all). Can someone who's done this project please confirm that this is how the vinyl should be cut as well? I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself by installing the heater controls before I attach the new dash face.

Thanks

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Aug 21 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #2

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

Vinyl goes on first and then the entire assembly slides in. So the answer to your question is the heater controls themselves overlap the vinyl.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Aug 21 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #3

Hmmm. I just went out and looked at the pieces. It looks to me like, if the control unit itself sits on top of the vinyl, the chrom trim piece would stick out too far, leaving a gap between itself and the vinyl.

This is a quick drawing, as if you're viewing a cross section of the dash face. With the controls sitting on the vinyl, and the chrome trim piece sitting on the controls, won't there be a gap? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Aug 21 2007, 08:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

The trim pieces I have seen typical are vinyl covering adhered to a thin metal backing, which in turn are secured to the dash structure with a thin double stick foam tape. The vinyl does sit behind the chrome bezel of the heater controls.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Aug 21 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 21 2007, 07:05 AM) *

The trim pieces I have seen typical are vinyl covering adhered to a thin metal backing, which in turn are secured to the dash structure with a thin double stick foam tape. The vinyl does sit behind the chrome bezel of the heater controls.

I left the metal backing plates out of my drawing for simplicity's sake...but yes, I do have those. I think you're confirming my suspicion though, that the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

I feel like I'm not getting my point across very well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burro.gif)

+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 21 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #6

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 21 2007, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 21 2007, 07:05 AM) *

I left the metal backing plates out of my drawing for simplicity's sake...but yes, I do have those. I think you're confirming my suspicion though, that the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

I feel like I'm not getting my point across very well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burro.gif)

the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

Yes
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Aug 21 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(markb @ Aug 21 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Yes

Right on! I'll proceed as planned then.

Thanks all for the help!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 04:20 PM