Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing dash face
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Search turned up lots of good info answering some other questions I had, but not this one. I pulled/replaced my heater controls while doing my dash recovering project. I just started rewiring the controls, before refinishing the dash, when I realized that this might be a mistake. Becuase I didn't have a factory dash to start with though, I don't have a good point of reference.

I'm rambling. Here's my question: is it only the chrome trim piece surrounding the heater controls that covers the dash face vinyl, or do the heater controls themselves overlap the vinyl as well?

Here's a "before" pic, kind of blurry, sorry. You can see the wood just sits up against the edges of the controls (not underneath them at all). Can someone who's done this project please confirm that this is how the vinyl should be cut as well? I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself by installing the heater controls before I attach the new dash face.

Thanks

Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
Vinyl goes on first and then the entire assembly slides in. So the answer to your question is the heater controls themselves overlap the vinyl.
Lavanaut
Hmmm. I just went out and looked at the pieces. It looks to me like, if the control unit itself sits on top of the vinyl, the chrom trim piece would stick out too far, leaving a gap between itself and the vinyl.

This is a quick drawing, as if you're viewing a cross section of the dash face. With the controls sitting on the vinyl, and the chrome trim piece sitting on the controls, won't there be a gap? confused24.gif

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith

The trim pieces I have seen typical are vinyl covering adhered to a thin metal backing, which in turn are secured to the dash structure with a thin double stick foam tape. The vinyl does sit behind the chrome bezel of the heater controls.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 21 2007, 07:05 AM) *

The trim pieces I have seen typical are vinyl covering adhered to a thin metal backing, which in turn are secured to the dash structure with a thin double stick foam tape. The vinyl does sit behind the chrome bezel of the heater controls.

I left the metal backing plates out of my drawing for simplicity's sake...but yes, I do have those. I think you're confirming my suspicion though, that the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

I feel like I'm not getting my point across very well. headbang.gif burro.gif

markb
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 21 2007, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 21 2007, 07:05 AM) *

I left the metal backing plates out of my drawing for simplicity's sake...but yes, I do have those. I think you're confirming my suspicion though, that the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

I feel like I'm not getting my point across very well. headbang.gif burro.gif

the face of the heater controls sits flush with the vinyl facing (not on top or overlapping it) and that it's only the chrome trim piece that overlaps the vinyl, yes?

Yes
Lavanaut
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 21 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Yes

Right on! I'll proceed as planned then.

Thanks all for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.