Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Brake Lights on a 914, Anyone have any experience in this area?
kfieler
post Aug 22 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

I am getting ready to replace all the bulbs in a 1973 914 1.7; as many are bad or missing.

I have been contemplating the use of LED lights instead of incandescent bulbs.

I have sourced the LED "bulbs", but don't want to put-out the extra bucks unless I have some assurance that they will work. My main concern is that LEDs may not be compatible with the 914's flasher relay. If I can "pop-in the bulbs and go", I'd like to use LEDs. However, if I need to make any modifications to the 914's electrical system (i.e. install an electronic flasher or load resistors), then all bets are off.

Has anyone here converted the tail / parking / brake / signal lamps in a 914 over to LED?

Are there any pitfalls to the process (or reasons why it should not be done)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Thanks for helping a "newbie"!

- Keith
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brando
post Aug 22 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #2

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

The LED bulbs will not pull enough power to trigger the flasher relay. If you do just the rears they will flash much faster. If you do all 4 they will not flash at all. You will have to install an electronic flasher unit - basically a solid-state relay with a timing device. You can pick them up on the Evil Bay for roughly $30 shipped. Be sure to hook it up the right way, or it will blow (had a wiring mis-hap on my previous 944 and ate one).

You can put LED bulbs in the instruments without problems - just not the generator lamp. They just wont be dimmable...
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 22 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Do a search... the search button is your friend.

IIRC... some time back someone did this.

Ahhhh yes... there are no new ideas
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Aug 22 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,782

I used a spare 99 suburban 3rd brake light and wired it directly from the brake switch as to not interfere with turn signals etc. Most don't even notice it until it lights.
BTW, This is the garage I built the car, no driveway or outside work at all. Jam/crammed work space.

(IMG:http://members.cox.net/altjamy/HANNAH%20AND%20DAD%20219.jpg.600.jpg)
+Quote Post
D1A3
post Aug 23 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #5

Gruppe Neun Vierzehn Südosten

Member No.: 2,152
Region Association: South East States

I've got them on the back of mine. I bought them at Autozone for like $16. They work great and I think are brighter than the incadescents, however they do have a more concentrated beam than standard bulbs.

I dod not change out the flashers, just the brake lights. They were direct replacements.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 08:06 PM