Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Brake Lights on a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
I am getting ready to replace all the bulbs in a 1973 914 1.7; as many are bad or missing.

I have been contemplating the use of LED lights instead of incandescent bulbs.

I have sourced the LED "bulbs", but don't want to put-out the extra bucks unless I have some assurance that they will work. My main concern is that LEDs may not be compatible with the 914's flasher relay. If I can "pop-in the bulbs and go", I'd like to use LEDs. However, if I need to make any modifications to the 914's electrical system (i.e. install an electronic flasher or load resistors), then all bets are off.

Has anyone here converted the tail / parking / brake / signal lamps in a 914 over to LED?

Are there any pitfalls to the process (or reasons why it should not be done)? screwy.gif

Thanks for helping a "newbie"!

- Keith
Brando
The LED bulbs will not pull enough power to trigger the flasher relay. If you do just the rears they will flash much faster. If you do all 4 they will not flash at all. You will have to install an electronic flasher unit - basically a solid-state relay with a timing device. You can pick them up on the Evil Bay for roughly $30 shipped. Be sure to hook it up the right way, or it will blow (had a wiring mis-hap on my previous 944 and ate one).

You can put LED bulbs in the instruments without problems - just not the generator lamp. They just wont be dimmable...
tdgray
Do a search... the search button is your friend.

IIRC... some time back someone did this.

Ahhhh yes... there are no new ideas
drive-ability
I used a spare 99 suburban 3rd brake light and wired it directly from the brake switch as to not interfere with turn signals etc. Most don't even notice it until it lights.
BTW, This is the garage I built the car, no driveway or outside work at all. Jam/crammed work space.

IPB Image
D1A3
I've got them on the back of mine. I bought them at Autozone for like $16. They work great and I think are brighter than the incadescents, however they do have a more concentrated beam than standard bulbs.

I dod not change out the flashers, just the brake lights. They were direct replacements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.